Notices

Craving cigs

Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving cigs

So I'm almost four weeks sober and things are finally starting to settle down a bit but I've noticed in the past week a really, really strong urge to smoke cigarettes. Over all of my years of drinking/drugging I never really had an urge to smoke unless I was using some other kind of intoxicant; now, however, I find myself wanting to smoke pretty much all the time. I even smoked two cigarettes over my lunch break today, something that I don't think I've ever done - ever.

I'm aware of the whole replacing-one-addiction-with-another thing, so I'm very wary of letting this get out of control. I feel good for the first five or so minutes of smoking - the first rush, as it were - but after that I feel dizzy, sluggish and more anxious, which is the last thing I need right now. But that whole lighting, smoking and the rest of the ritual is so, so enticing to me right now. So occasional social smoker now feeling the pull to chain smoke in sobriety - sound normal?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been a regular, long-time smoker, but at 39 days, I have been the same way for the last probably 2 weeks. When I initially quit drinking the smoking calmed down, and I thought maybe that would be the next thing I could quit, but lately, I just want to chain smoke. :/ You're not alone!
Old 06-21-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat. I, like many others chain smoked when I drank, and when I quit, I didn't really smoke that much. The past two weeks, I am back to my almost a pack a day again. I tend to smoke more out of boredom and anxiety and for now, I am just going to try to cut back. I gave up booze and carbohydrates just over 30 days ago, and while I know that smoking is bad, I don't plan to quit that cold turkey just yet.
So, no, you are definitely not alone.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 10 years ago. I didn't really have a problem with that. Alcohol was worse. I have a friend that to finally quit was when those urgings cravings happened was to smoke as many cigs as possible in succession until he was physically sick. Eventually he quit doing that. May not be a great "cure" but it worked for him. He couldn't stand cigs after doing that about 10 times.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok, thanks to all. Habits are habits, regardless of the trigger and response, so I figure if I can condition myself to carry out a more benign activity (like whittling or something) when cravings/urges hit maybe I can replace the drinking/smoking habit entirely. I've been getting urges to exercise, which I do when I feel the itch, so at least I've got that going for me!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I switched to vaping a few years ago and feel much better for it. Check out the Sober Vapers forum here on SR , there is a ton of good info and links to more. Great harm reduction, and waayy tastier too
Old 06-21-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi theTHINman

I quit cigs when I quit booze, but chain smoking at any time can't be a good thing - best of luck finding another thing to do to replace that

D
Old 06-21-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also smoke a few every year, usually a pack or 2 at most. I rarely finish a whole cig.

After a bit they do not appeal but this is a thing I have always been able to take or leave, ciggies.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 2 months before I quit drinking (unaware that I was about to quit drinking too ). In some ways, quitting smoking really helped me prepare for quitting the booze. I made the connection, for the first time, that I was stuffing my emotions with cigarettes. I reckognized that it wasnt nessecarily the cigarette I craved, but the distraction.... at least after I got past the physical withdrawal. This all helped me make the same connection with alcohol.

Im now nicotine free for 7 months, and alcohol free for 5 months. I still crave a cigarette more often than I crave a drink. I reckognize though, when a craving hits for either one, it typically means I am experiencing something uncomfortable I would rather avoid.

On another note, my friend, who was a social smoker before quitting drinking, now vapes like crazy. He used to just have a cigarette here and there. Now, he swithched to vaping and cant leave the house without his "rig." It sure smells alot better and at least isnt killing his lungs.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had the same thing happen!
I quit smoking 6 years ago and the past 2 times I quit drinking I bought cigarettes. Something I despise now, but for some reason I *had* to have them. I only smoked 3 over a months time but I was really disgusted with myself.
I actually bought some nicotine gum to have around just in case this hits me again. Better the gum than a cigarette.
It had to be something weird going on in my brain as far as cravings- as I won't even stand next to second hand smoke normally.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Not pushing or harping on vaping, just relating. About year or so before I finally quit drinking, I tried to quit. Went about 5-7 days and came up with the brilliant idea to smoke a little weed .. to take the 'edge' off. That lead to smoking daily, again, and also a return to drinking, so a year or more of drinking and getting stoned.
During that time my wife and I decided to quit cigarettes( I smoked cigars too), anyway when we switched to vaping it became difficult for me to mask/hide the pot smell/breath , which turned out to be a really good thing/ bad thing. I decided to quit the pot , but unfortunately the booze then ramped back up , big time. Bad for the ramping/ good that it got so bad , I finally Had to quit.
So along with what I consider to be meaningful harm reduction, I have a real 'soft spot' for all things vaping.
Vape'm while you gottem, the FDA in all its 'benevolence' has effectively handed the market to Big Tobacco and their 'patented' devices , the question is in two years will they still make e-cigs or go back to their traditional 'business model'.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know that I'll take up vaping just yet, but that might be a consideration if this nicotine wave doesn't crest and then break soon. I've just been stressed as all get out this past month (of not drinking) and smoking seems to alleviate it...for about 10 minutes. My wife is a smoker, which means they're always on hand and I always see her doing it, but she's leaving for the summer next week so maybe that'll help me to tone it down on the smoking front.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations on your decision, it truly is better to be a quitter , wish you well and luck with all your quitting endeavors
Finding SR was a good step, check in often, read, ask, post , welcome aboard
hope to see you around