Notices

Question???? Do you keep recovery to yourself?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If people ask, I tell them I don't drink. I've never had anyone ask me "why" but I think that does happen.

As I was reading through all these responses I had the thought. We're all bracing and preparing answers in our heads for if and when we're asked why we're not drinking as if there is something shameful about not drinking alcohol. Has anyone ever, when asked why they aren't drinking COUNTERED the question with "why ARE you drinking alcohol?" No one turns the tables around. Maybe it would shut up some of the more persistent.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My close family and friends know why I stopped but it's all a process. I usually tell people in my close circle as I feel more comfortable within my recovery. For others, I simply say I don't drink anymore. They ask why and I might say "It was just a decision I made and it's been a great one" "One too many hangovers" "It stopped being fun" etc. I also share with the intent of helping someone else who perhaps has mentioned their struggle with addiction.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Have an overweight mate that told everyone he was on the Aitkins Diet. He started preaching the 'bads' in the food we were choosing. He lost a heap of weight. Alas, he relapsed, he's now bigger than he was then and has bad knees and ankles.
The whispers that I hear from everyone was how he was boasting about his recovery and failed. It's easy for people to judge those with an addiction.
Only my wife and doctor know, I keep it mostly to myself and SR.

It's my journey and the road is steep.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Totally keep it to myself except for my bf. I am pretty sure my friends all know what's up but I honestly don't care. Only thing is sometimes they're like "Oh well sleepie quit drinking so such and such". Then some time passes and so whatever.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Even my wife shares with some that I'm a recovered drunk. One of the ladies at our church that has an alcoholic husband has been confiding in her. If we let people know possibly we can be of help some day. If I (we) could help just one suffering one.

Mountainman
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I only told my loved ones but they had heard it 100 times before. I knew that only time would prove it because this time I was actually serious. Everyone else didn't need to know. I changed my people, places, and things and the rest of the world kind of figured it out on their own. It's a personal struggle and anyone who doesn't have the problem of addiction won't understand it anyways.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I told pretty much everyone I know that I quit because I thought that I was drinking too much. They don't really understand.

I told my close family that I thought I was an alcoholic so I no longer drink. They definitely don't understand which, as my father drank himself to death, I find bizarre.

If I get pressed in a social situation I say that "me and alcohol fell out and we're no longer on speaking terms."

I'm actually really quite proud of myself and my sobriety (albeit it's still in its infancy), it's the best thing I've ever done for myself so I can't help talking about it some times.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't ever bring it up but if it comes up in context with someone I don't know well I am very open about it. Some people have questions, I answer. Some don't care. Some find someone else to talk to (if I'm at a party or something.) I live in a small town and lost my license and walked everywhere for months. Everyone knew my story. I liked it that way. The two times I tried to quit and kept it to myself were abject failures.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My parents and siblings know I quit and that I believe I am an alcoholic and cannot drink normally. I told them as it helped me stay accountable. A couple of close friends know the same.

I tell other friends, colleagues and work associates that I quit because I didn't think I was drinking in a healthy way - or some variation thereof. I reason that because I drank so much, people who knew me when I drank need some explanation because it's just too dramatic a change.

Finally, there's the last category of people who didn't know me when I drank. I figure they don't need a reason to know why I don't drink now.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

There are so much misinformation and ignorance around what alcoholism is out there.
Even if i had the inclination, some people's views are too ingrained for me to waste my time in educating the basics of addiction.
I keep my addiction challenges to myself except for my support networks. Here and any groups that I might attend.
It feels better that way; I have in the past had a person who used it against me as what I can only describe as a weird power thing against me.
I felt humiliated and mortified, it made me feel like I was damaged and half a person.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

This time through I'm going with the "on a need to know basis".
Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I pretty much told everyone too - I thought at the time it was pretty obvious I had a problem - but some people were still shocked, and worried.

I would have been more discreet if I could do it over again, if only to save some people worry.

When I think it's appropriate, I'll open up, which means here on SR and occasionally in my private life where I think I might be able to help in any way.

D
Old 06-21-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I say in the most bubbly way I am taking a break to lose weight and cut calories and increase performance. You have no idea how many people say they need to do that to feel better too.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think it is a personal decision for what you say and to whom, with no right or wrong answers. For me, its different with different people, but I highly value my privacy (no Facebook for me) so I usually choose not to discuss the particulars with anyone. But say what YOU are comfortable saying, and don't think that you have to maintain a standard answer for everyone.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

I have found that there really isn't a need to tell anyone. When I've wanted to, a look at my motivations usually revealed motives that were manipulative or self aggrandizing in some way.

The funny thing is, as we stay clean and engage in the overall process of recovery, people around us notice the change.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I keep it to myself except a very few close friends. Even with them I'm vague. They saw me drunk many, many times. They know why I stopped. They know I know they know why I stopped. We don't discuss it two years in.

Anyone I've met after I stopped drinking knows me as a non-drinker. I don't elaborate.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My husband knows I'm not drinking right now. No one else was close enough to realise my issues. I was a at home drinker so he and my kids will notice. I have not yet told anyone out loud that I am in recovery.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

There are three different situations where I handle this issue completely differently. The first is when I am casually offered a drink by a stranger or an acquaintence. In this situation, I start with "No thanks." If they push it, which rarely happens when you stop hanging out exclusively with other addicts, I say "I turn into a werewolf when I drink." That usually ends it. Second, with friends and family who are close enough to perceive that something is different with me, I will tell as much of my story as I feel they need to know to understand why I abstain from alcohol. And finally, if someone is concerned about his own drinking, and approaches me to ask about my story, I will generally share enough to get to the important part--what to do to build a successful sobriety plan.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Certainly my immediate family was well aware of me stopping just as they were with my drinking. When I decided to go to the rooms I stated to my wife - man, everyone's gonna know I have a problem. She smiled and said - honey, they already know. Apparently I was the last to know..........

In sobriety I share as the spirit moves me. When people say to me on occasion - something is different about you....... I may reply I'm trying to take better care of myself. If there's another person with a problem who asks I may go deeper into my ESH - briefly. I never want to drown anyone in living waters, but just remain open and available. I don't share my past for pride or ego but I have learned our past can be our greatest asset at times.

Courage and prudence direct my actions when I remember to use these tools that are freely given to me in sobriety.........
Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I personally wear a bracelet that reads "live sober" on it and am asked about it often. I have no problem sharing my story with others. I am proud of the decision I have made and other than a few "interesting" comments, most people are very supportive. For those who make the comments like"sounds to me like you are way overdue for a drink," I chalk it up to their own weakness and desire to have acceptance for something they continue to do that more and more people are deciding is not good for the human body. I also see that as a challenge that I am more than willing to accept...and continue to defeat!