Notices

Is it possibel....

Old 06-20-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it possibel....

Iam at point of absolute terror I actually have given up trying to get sober in fact I don't even get sober no more maybe a few days a week the rest is a haze of alcohol abuse.!

The scariest thing is I have failed so many times my mind Seems to have accepted that this is how it is!

Has anyone been in similar patterns and managed to get sober..??
Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is possible but, you must be very motivated. If you are complacent right now, you need to dig deeper and motivate yourself to not drink today. It is very scary when you are about to stop drinking, but have faith that you can do it.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
The scariest thing is I have failed so many times my mind Seems to have accepted that this is how it is!
What your mind has to accept never drinking again. You were committed to that the last time you came to SR, what happened?

If you are struggling to get sober, and you are, the other thing your mind has to accept is that you might not be able to do this on your own.

So get help.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I was like that. No matter how bad I want to stop, I couldn't do it.

When I finally had enough of the suffering and couldn't take it anymore, I went to a detox. When they suggested a treatment centre, I said yes. When a woman from AA came to visit me in the detox and told me that one day I would be able to look people in the eye again, I was willing to try the AA program. When the 5 weeks of treatment were coming to an end they suggested I go to a halfway house. (sober living).

I stayed for 13 months and during that time and for 30 years later I attended AA regularly.

All those things got me sober and helped me to stay sober and have led me on to a pretty good life.

So I would say that to quit trying to do it on my own and getting some help is what saved me.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, it is possible. Like others said, you have to commit to a new life and then do it.

I resisted AA for a very long time but it is working for me. I have gotten to the point where my recovery "to dos" are the biggest parts and parcel of every day; I have gotten more and more into my AA community and I try to grab every thing, piece of info and person I can to keep learning and reaffirming my commitment to sobriety. I also include "secular" (read- non-AA) readings like other peoples' stories, non program meditations, and building (re-building) my non-AA support system of people along with my program community.

This is working for me, at 4months. The results in just that time are so good that I will never go back to my sick drinking life.

Good luck to you- stick around here and do decide on a program to help your path.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You say you have given up trying to be sober. What did you do to stay sober? If you can tell us that, perhaps people could suggest other things that might help fill the gaps in your previous sobriety plan. Most of us on here find that staying sober requires taking certain actions. For alcoholics, merely putting the drink down isn't tolerable or sustainable. I whute knuckled it for a month and thought I was going mad. Either I was going to kill myself or kill someone else, and restless, irritable and discontent just wasn't in it.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know exactly how you feel... the short answer is no more drinking the long answer is finding and taking action to remain sober there are lots of SR links at the top of the forum lots of idea and in the meantime know you have us don't sell yourself short when it comes to recovery
Old 06-20-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I have.... For years I felt the same way you do right now. I wasn't able to get sober until I excepted the fact that I had no other choice. Good news my friend... I'm sober now. So THIS is something you CAN do! I will not lie to you and you probably already know this.... It's not easy.... But it gets easier the longer you go without drinking. Wishing you well and hoping you make the choice to give it up.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

maybe it's time for rehab, Herc?

D