Notices

Restless , agitated ,confused

Old 06-12-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless , agitated ,confused

Im kind of posting this after going through Soberaccountants thread which is what I wanted to get off my chest regarding feeling agitated and restless . The thing is the stuff going on in my life is nearly all positive . Im about to change job to closer location with same company , were nearly due to change car , a pension annuity is paid end of June , got my garden up to scratch so all good things . My 22 yr old son quit his job against my advise , its his worry not mine but I feel his worry as if it were my situation . My health is generally ok-ish ( painful lower back hips but prognosis is good if I follow exercise physio programme and stay of the junk food , was juicing for a bit but fell by the way side ) . Anyway I get this agitation about me like an uneasy tense feeling which i'm confused about . I can't sit for long before i'm bored so go for a walk , a short cycle , fix something ,come on here , eat something ,dink coffee /tea , and here a problem I really need to get on top of , compulsive shopping /buying from online merchants ,amazon ,ebay etc .
Do any of you that's got sober find that other habits creep in ?

Im hoping this will settle down as I gain more sober time .
Old 06-12-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally feel this. Some days, some hours, some minutes I am doing so well. My mind is right, my future is bright, everything is going to be ok. Other times I am a worried, stressed out mess with a dismal outlook for the future. Some days I don't have enough hours in the day. Other days I can't wait for darkness to come just so I can go to bed and start a new day tomorrow.

I don't have an answer for you, but wanted you to know you're not alone. I do think that is just life. But we're learning to deal with it sober. In the past I have been a go, go, go person. When I am sober, I try to have things planned for the kids and I to do after dinner. Watch a movie, Seinfeld reruns, bike ride, walks, game night. I try to work during the day and give myself something to look forward to every night. HTH, you're not alone.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Another thought - have you thought of trying to replace the bad habits with good habits? Working out, eating right, meditation? I know that I can spend waaaaay too much time online just randomly looking things up. Everything from alcohol abstention to recipes to yoga to essential oils. My mind can be all over the place. Sometimes I think it's best for me to put the iPad away and just go do things.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post

Do any of you that's got sober find that other habits creep in ?
Yes, or possibly they are just more noticeable now that I'm sober?
Best that we pick them off one by one or be stuck in another rut.
We get sober and then we need to let go of some old ideas.

Keep up with your bicycle riding -- great for mind, body and soul.

Mountainmanbob
Old 06-12-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

" My mind can be all over the place " Be happy said . Absolutely the same here , I used to be in a video camera club where we made short armature movies ,talked tech talk about the latest and greatest equipment etc . I used build PC rigs up stairs ( always with beers at my side come to think of it ) . i'm one of those boys n toys type so you can imagine the range of things I look at online .
In any given online session I am window shopping from smart watches to the latest tablet to PC components . I actually bought a Macbook pro a few months back then refused delivery when it arrived and got a refund . You don't even want to hear the amount of health products I look at .

Mountainmanbob Thank you , i'm looking at more bottom friendly saddles for my bike so I can go further .
Best day I've had in ages was last Monday we went to Carfin Grotto ( its a holy shrine set in beautiful grounds ) . There is great peace there with a beautiful church which is always open . Had a lunch and spoke to some other people . Funny how when your away from your everyday stuff like work and neighbours you can open up better to people , well that is how it is with me .
Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its been my experience that some people's personalities are simply that they are busybodies. My wife is a prime example. Just like you needed to change your drinking habits, you'll need to implement something to discipline your mind from being agitated. Although I understand its early in sobriety so maybe things will calm down after awhile. I personally think its a-ok to feel anxious and frustrated....just don't return to alcohol.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post

Mountainmanbob Thank you , i'm looking at more bottom friendly saddles for my bike so I can go further .
A pretty nice men's bicycle seat.

Planet Bike Men's ARS Spring

Planet Bike Mens Ars Elastomer Spring Saddle w/Gel

I was going out for a 20 mile ride the other day and I noticed a flat tire just before leaving home to meet a friend. No problem I grabbed my wife's bicycle -- same as mine but, with a different seat. After the ride wooo -- give me back my Planet Bike Men's seat.

MB
Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know how you feel Thomas. Some of this could be your CNS rebounding still after removing the constant flow of alcohol. The fact that you're very physically restless suggests that to me. I try to remember that it took me while to get to where I am, its going to take a while to get out.

Give yourself some time. It will improve.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

The big book talks about being "irritable, restless, and discontent." I see this as being untreated alcoholism. Working those steps treated my alcoholism; the rest is me learning to live sober and to increase my sober world with people, hobbies, living well and living spiritually.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
The big book talks about being "irritable, restless, and discontent." I see this as being untreated alcoholism. Working those steps treated my alcoholism; the rest is me learning to live sober and to increase my sober world with people, hobbies, living well and living spiritually.
Words of wisdom. Quitting drinking while absolutely essential was only the first step to being happy, joyous and free. I had to change or I was condemned to stay the same