Notices

I caved

Old 06-10-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

I caved

Today is my 22nd day and my 3rd attempt. I was doing ok with the ups and downs of my new life until Husband purchased a $32,000 car for me. I'm beside myself. I don't know what to say, as I can't wrap my head around it. I will be 67 yrs old in Sept. and probably don't drive 1000 miles a year. We winter in Florida, so Husband feels we need a touring car to travel fr NY to Florida. (I don't drive in Florida because of the traffic) Having my 6th beer. Heavy sigh.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey Rar Regardless of the reason you started drinking, you can quit right now. Pour out the rest and drink some water okay?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rar, get rid of the alcohol and get back on track tonight.

Perhaps, you could talk to your husband and explain your feelings about the car. Would he be open to listening to you?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I agree rar, dump the alcohol. Why wait until tomorrow when you can start tonight.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't have to let this get any farther, you can choose to empty the rest of the beers out and get some sleep and start fresh in the morning. Don't let this be your slip that you don't come back from, fight for yourself, you are so worth it!

I would talk to you husband, he probably thought he was doing a good thing or maybe he just wanted an excuse to get a car. Either way, it is not worth destroying yourself over.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

While I don't see a solution to thisl issue, I stopped at 6 (light) beers. Going to bed. Heavy sigh Will try again tomorrow. Thanks. L9
Old 06-10-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you stopped...drinking definitely was not the solution. Tomorrow will be a new day to start fresh
Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Good job stopping rar! We'll be here tomorrow so hope you'll check in xo
Old 06-10-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, good for you for posting, and for stopping, and not going on a week long binge. Like everyone else says, just start over. No judgements here.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you stopped!
Old 06-11-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Good Morning Folks. Well, 6 beers didn't make the car problem go away. I stopped at the 6 light beers and dumped 6 unopened cans, so I wouldn't be tempted. I didn't get much sleep fretting about the new car and trying to create a new budget while in bed. Sigh. Thanks for caring. Day 1 again.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So he bought the car for you. Kinda sweet but obviously he didn't discuss it with you first. Is there any way to return the car? Did he buy it used?
Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

He should return the car, who buys someone a car without asking first anyway... Unless of course they just wanted it for themselves.. Smh

Glad you poured it out
Old 06-11-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm sorry to hear this Rar but glad that you came here and posted.

I hope you can get him to see the light about not really needing the car. In the interim, what's your plan the next time that something happens that would cause you to drink? Don't wait, decide now and follow when the time comes.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When life was bad I drank. When life was good I drank . When circumstances were neutral I drank. It's what I did, I'm an alcoholic.

Until I changed the way I perceived myself and how I interacted with the world around me there would always be another excuse to drink.

Today I have a 14 year old car the leaks more fluid than a 103 year old man. It rattles - squeaks and sighs when driven. I wash it and keep it tidy (mostly). I am grateful for what I have and maybe more importantly grateful for what I don't have.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

how about the solution be having a conversation with yer hubby about this?
is it really a bad thing he bought a new car for ya?
Old 06-11-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm a bit perplexed regarding the car issue. Congrats on getting right back at it Rar. Good for you.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

RE the car issue. I drive (drove) a 9 year old car. Though it passed inspection yesterday, the inspection revealed that it needed tires, brakes, pads and rotors, front control arm, rear seals and battery, totaling close to $3000 in labor and parts. We just put almost $1000 in repairs this past October. His thought process was that it is "nickle and diming" us. He priced a new car and found they gave $13,500 trade for my 9 year old car, in addition to taking $3000 off the sticker price of the new. So, ultimately, we financed approximately $19,500 for 48 months at 0% interest. Because we make the trip from NY to Florida and back every year, he felt a newer car would be more reliable than one that has started to have problems. In summary, he thought he was making a prudent financial decision. My thoughts are to fix the car and it would be okay until it needed more repairs, then fix those, etc. I'm distressed over spending that much money. Anyway, it's over and it's now in my driveway. I do like it, but I think my husband likes it more than I. Regarding drinking last night, I felt okay this morning, but experiencing some anxiety this afternoon. I suspect it's more car related than alcohol related.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You know Rah, there will always be problems. And the one thing all those problems have in common is that alcohol does not solve ANY of them. We sometimes feel it'll give us some temporary relief from the stress of whatever the problem is, and maybe once upon a time that might have been true. But for us folk who are on this forum , it's never going to be true again. It's time to look a bit more long term and find new ways of dealing with our feelings. And that's what Recovery is. You can do this. X
Old 06-11-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Enjoy the car! Sobriety is to be enjoyed not worried over, and on the bright side, you still have all those days behind you, and can learn for the experience. Let your husband enjoy giving you a present, he likes it too, and it makes sense, it's more reliable, will last a lifetime, or perhaps another trade in as a future present too. Enjoy!