Notices

This is what happened here.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is what happened here.

Well trying to get clean did not resort in a permanent good thing for me. I took a month off a few weeks back, and it was the hardest thing ever, but I did not experience any medical issues associated with withdrawal. What DID happen was I dropped 25 pounds that fast, and my big bloated face subsided. I picked it up again and one would think my tolerance would have decreased. No way. It came back with a vengeance, again. I can drink even more now. I use to put back about ten on a week day and about 18 on a weekend day. I can now do 15-18 on a week day and get up and make it to work - still high ( I must stink of it). I'm up to a 24 of beer, per day, on weekends. I'm not asking for advice, I know what the solution is. Just wanted to rely to fellow alcoholics that this can happen so be very mindful of the potential exponentially consequences of picking up that drink again. I'm in big trouble.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome back, Constance!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that you found that out the hard way contance, but yes - our drinking will usually resume as bad or worse even after a period of abstinence.

Glad you came back, what are your plans moving forward?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

glad yer back!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Constance! Sounds like being sober brought some great benefits. What supports do you have to help you get sober again?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Constance01 View Post
Well trying to get clean did not resort in a permanent good thing for me. I took a month off a few weeks back, and it was the hardest thing ever, but I did not experience any medical issues associated with withdrawal. What DID happen was I dropped 25 pounds that fast, and my big bloated face subsided. I picked it up again and one would think my tolerance would have decreased. No way. It came back with a vengeance, again. I can drink even more now. I use to put back about ten on a week day and about 18 on a weekend day. I can now do 15-18 on a week day and get up and make it to work - still high ( I must stink of it). I'm up to a 24 of beer, per day, on weekends. I'm not asking for advice, I know what the solution is. Just wanted to rely to fellow alcoholics that this can happen so be very mindful of the potential exponentially consequences of picking up that drink again. I'm in big trouble.
I was the same way. Usually 18 was enough but on weekends 24 a day at times. Weed too. I am over 140 days now. At times I have wanted a beer but I know how fast I can go right back to where I was. I don't want anymore day 1's. All I can offer is try again. I would stop for a month or two and then relapse. I kept trying. You should too.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank-you to all those that took the time to address me.

Cold - thanks for the welcome back. I am not sure if I am of any benefit or inspiration to those that are working hard to stay sober. Perhaps, at this point I can be the 'what not to do when your in deep."

Scott - I have no plan. I know exactly what it is that I need to do. I need to walk out of this house, drunk as always, and go to the ER and lay myself out, because sober me is probably the more irrational in terms of admitting there is an issue here.

Delilah, I have no immediate supports. I find it is very difficult to not drink ( My husband is a drinker) and he is also my greatest enabler...he laughs off my drinking nights ( I am way more worse than he) and helps me in terms of household duties like cooking, laundry, cleaning that I should be doing. I love him very much but he is bailing me outta real life responsibilities.

Jim - Congrats on the 140 days. You seem to have an incredibly tolerance as do I. Given how much you drank, it could not be easy to walk away from the mere habit of that. Thanks for the kind words.

Oh Yeah, January - love your name. I named my favourite pet bird January, so I know it was good karma to see you here.

If anyone posted after I wrote this - thanks so much.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here Constance.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Glad you are here. I was the same way, only when I was intoxicated did I have the guts to ask for help. Going to the ER sounds like a good first step, what will you do after that to stay sober?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

What's your recovery plan looking like ?
Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Constance. You've come to the right place. There are many years of collective sobriety here, folks who have been where you are. Stay close to SR, reading and posting often. Hang in there.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm enabling my husband at the moment too--
I stopped drinking--I was much worse than him as well.
He developed a drinking problem over time living with me
During my drinking, he helped enable me.

It's a rough cycle living with a drinker / enabler.
I also got as bad or worse in relapse.

I made a final plan and stopped for good--I hope the sober you is ready to do that soon.
What about making a plan here on this thread.
We can help, you can read it later, and maybe get back on the wagon?
Old 06-09-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

You may need medical detox now that things have changed. I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know exactly what it is that I need to do. I need to walk out of this house, drunk as always, and go to the ER and lay myself out, because sober me is probably the more irrational in terms of admitting there is an issue here.

Great idea! Did ya?

I'm glad you're back Constance.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have a lot going for you, not least that you are capable of such honest self-assessment. That's a gift, especially when we're working on getting sober.

You also sound wicked smart, as we say up here. You know what you need...

You can do this!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Constance, sorry you're in this predicament. Your story is similar to mine...incredible tolerance. Ended up in the hospital with a .052 BAC...and I was still able to walk. I was not able to get sober by myself, tapering did not work....withdrawal would set in too quickly. The fear of withdrawal kept me drinking and increasing my tolerance. A medically safe detox was my only avenue to lasting recovery. If you are fearing withdrawal, please see your Dr. or visit the ER. Withdrawals can be and are dangerous! They have meds which can make you much more comfortable during detox. Best Wishes
Old 06-09-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks again to all those that posted.

Did I go to the ER? No. Do I have a recovery plan? No.

I think I already know what it is I need to do - I'm pretty positive of that. Like I said, I'm not here for advice - the solution is very clear, I just don't see how I am going to get there.

I think I came here to engage with other alcoholics (active or not), and figure out how to make the leap between knowing what I need to do versus actually gathering the strength to do it. That is my quandary.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You will find "the strength" when you want to be sober MORE than you want to drink!! It's pretty much that simple...Most going into recovery say "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired". Hope you find the strength to make the leap into recovery. Best Wishes.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jim1958 View Post
I kept trying. You should too.
Prayers and thoughts out to you, Constance. It is not too late!
Old 06-10-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a leap of faith, Constance. It truly is. I was so afraid to stop drinking, but even more afraid to not stop.