Notices

Need advice

Old 06-08-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice

Well to give you some background. I'm 24 y/o student who has recently quit drinking. Not sure of the exact day, as I decided to avoid counting and just make the decision to not drink every day. Anyhow I think I'm on week 2 or so, but since I've quit drinking I'm having some adverse effects.

I'm constantly exhausted and cannot concentrate. I honestly thought my energy levels would sky rocket when I quit, but instead I cannot even study and just want to sleep all day. Caffeine doesn't even seem to help. Did any of you have this experience?

How did you cope?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should get a medical check up if really worried.
Even though alcohol is a depressant it can make you feel stimulate by lowering your inhibitions.
Perhaps what you miss is that buzz or even anticipating such?
It is hardly likely you would feel super fit over a few weeks abstinence also.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds counter intuitive but I force myself to get some light exercise when feeling like that. It helps a ton.
You think you could have some depression?Just a thought.
Since your in school do you have access to a clinic or school councilor. Mine was free if I remember right.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It can take some time for your body to adjust to processing something other than alcohol for energy. From what I read, the body processes alcohol ASAP because it's toxic. Depending on how much and how long you were drinking, it may take a few weeks or even months for things to level out.

Try to eat regular, healthy meals that include protein...and it would be a good idea to get a check up?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skjaldmaer View Post

I'm constantly exhausted and cannot concentrate. I honestly thought my energy levels would sky rocket when I quit, but instead I cannot even study and just want to sleep all day. Caffeine doesn't even seem to help. Did any of you have this experience?
I could have written that!

Many people experience what you are right now. Don't worry. It gets better.

It did take about a month for me. I'm so glad I chose sobriety. I've got a clear head now.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi skjaldmaer.

It's quite common. I was exhausted from all I'd put myself through. I was very foggy & clumsy for a couple months. Everything got better. Glad you are here & that you've chosen to get free.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being exhausted is the toughest part of my sobriety, but I'm glad to be sober none the less. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Although I haven't seen a physician about my low energy levels, I am now incorporating a bit of exercise and adding extra iron to my diet. Hopefully this will help.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had washing machine head for a few months. It cleared up when I started getting better at relaxing without alcohol, and once my AV has hushed up a bit so I wasn't constantly getting involved in inner debates over whether or not to take a drink.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think exhaustion early on is both common and expected. Your brain needs to heal and your neurotransmitters need to adjust to not being influenced by alcohol. It WILL get better, though, hang in there! It takes time.

While you likely don't feel like it, any little bit of exercise helps. Even if you can just get out and walk around the block.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think no matter what someone's DOC is that in the beginning the person is going to have trouble sleeping, have some level of anxiety and/or depression, and lack of energy levels. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has ever just quit and automatically felt good as new.

Some things you can try to do to get yourself feeling healthier you can exercise, eat healthy, take vitamins, stay hydrated, and the longer you are sober the better you will feel. I know it is hard to not feel great right from the start, but remember our bodies have taken years and in some cases decades of abuse, we can't expect our bodies to bounce back in a day or week.