Notices

Waves and waves of cravings

Old 06-04-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Bravissimo!

AV picked the wrong person to mess with...

Old 06-04-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Awesome job and thank you for sharing!! It's great to reach out. Sometimes we need talked down from the ledge. Cravings here today too. I'm doing my normal Saturday routine of cleaning, laundry, yard work. This has ALWAYS been accompanied by a bottle of cheap vodka (the watered down kind - but a whole 5th of it and then some). I am trying to stay hydrated, lots of fruity infused h20 and eating sporadically healthy handfuls of fruit and veggies.

Hang in there, you can do it and think of how proud and good we will both feel in the morning! 81 days is a LONG time - congrats!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

mera's note to self: build a sweets stash!

hot cocoa sounds wonderful. excellent choice!!!!!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
No way I am throwing away 81 days, especially not for 6ounces of crap cooking wine.
I wouldn't throw 81 days away for a $150 bottle of merlot. Just wouldn't do it. You've come too far Mera.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mera

Hot chocolate sounds good. When cravings hit, think it through to the end - I do something like this: I tell myself that if I have one drink, I won't be able to stop. Then I'll be hooked again and have to go through all the misery and self-loathing to try to stop again. It would affect all of my relationships, my health - in short nothing good would come of it, etc ....

By the time I think my way through all that, the craving is typically gone. I repeat as necessary. I still get a craving once in a long while and do the same thing. It's definitely getting easier to resist and I now have no interest in ever drinking again.

You can do this!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Mera,

If you feel you are at serious risk of drinking, please call for help!
Old 06-04-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm ok. I watched a film and had hot chocolate. I accepted that this is part of ot and I'll have to deal with it. A big help was thinking of past posts of others who wrote that they dealt with cravings for a long time and they made it through without drinking. I appreciate those shared experiences on a day to day basis as much as I appreciate the posts of all of you reaching out in moments of crisis. I'll stay alert tomorrow too. For now off to bed. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

P.s. I highly recommend the spy movie with Tom Hanks. I'm not sure of the English title, sometimes they give a different name when they release them here. They translated it to "The bridge of spies". Good film.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good job, Mera!

You wouldn't know it from his role in the movie, for which he won best supporting actor, but Mark Rylance kind has a hubba-hubba factor all his own.

Don't forget to laugh when you need to. I'll swear "Frasier" reruns and the clip below kept me going during the tough phase. I pretty much know every line to this:

Old 06-04-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
AA Member

my experience not my opinion:

once i was attending meetings everyday and got a service position (coffee maker) ...

i have never thought of drinking since
Old 06-04-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mera, glad you found the cocoa. I remember the cooking sherry calling to me when I was about 4-5 months in. I actually took a sip and spit it out, wondering the hell I was thinking. I actually have some rum and other stuff in the garage but haven't been tempted to go there. You resisted the temptation, good for you!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Mera we are so close on our sobriety time - big hugs - I had a very hard time last night myself after a bad day and just sort of suffered through it - beats the alternative though - it really does.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

uncorked hmmm...if I had RUM in the garage not sure I could forget it was there...for some reason hubby's beer isn't a big deal most of the time but when cravings hit me these days I actually think of liquor, it's not even red wine anymore which was my drug of choice.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Glad you're headed to bed Mera,actually the hot cocoa was a great choice as the milk warmed up is calming,I use it myself, awesome job😊
Old 06-04-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Mera
Glad you're staying strong. For some reason I thought you were on antibuse. If you are, please don't drink on that stuff. Verrryyyy bad.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Wow! Congrats on your sobriety and for staying strong. You are so far along if your response to a craving was to reach out! I never learned how to do that and I went out and relapsed time after time. Telling on yourself is a great tool.

Every time you beat a craving you get stronger. Every time you reach out for help or advice you get stronger. Every time you post on here you help another alcoholic stay sober for 30 more seconds, maybe longer.....and you help yourself stay sober.

Sounds like you should try AA meetings if you haven't yet. We need women like you to help newcomers and to show them a solution.

Keep fighting<3
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

me too

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Awesome job and thank you for sharing!! It's great to reach out. Sometimes we need talked down from the ledge. Cravings here today too. I'm doing my normal Saturday routine of cleaning, laundry, yard work. This has ALWAYS been accompanied by a bottle of cheap vodka (the watered down kind - but a whole 5th of it and then some). I am trying to stay hydrated, lots of fruity infused h20 and eating sporadically healthy handfuls of fruit and veggies.

Hang in there, you can do it and think of how proud and good we will both feel in the morning! 81 days is a LONG time - congrats!
I used to do the same thing. I had to have that cheap vodka with me to clean. It was like my reward--I just rewarded myself every five minutes. Then it was the yardwork, then it was shopping--vodka was my motivation to do everything.

I'm convinced every alcoholic's torturous hell ends with cheap vodka. POPOV for me.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mera, nicely done my friend!!
Old 06-04-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you all.
Jeff, you are so right I wouldn't throw away my sobriety for anything- cooking wine or expensive wine

Venecia, that clip made me laugh! And yes, just googled some pictures of Mark Rylance, not bad at all!

Frick, can you believe that I forgot about the antibuse? I haven't taken it in a while after consultation with my doctor due to side effects and not being able to consistently follow the administration protocol (someone else giving it to me and me drinking ti in front of them) but it may very well be in my system. I also still have the pills and have used them as a "craving stopper" in the past, mixing one with water and drinking it in order to absolutely put a a final NO as the response to a craving. I was so bad off last night that I didn't even remember the pills.

Madgirl, yes I have been following your posts, we are right there together. Strangely enough I crave hard liquor now whereas I only ever drank wine.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

someone in an AA meeting once described cravings as waves coming towards you as you stand on the shore. the waves look huge and frightening, but if you stand your ground the wave will break and dissipate around you, and you are still standing. each time the waves break and you stay steadfast, you are stronger for the next one.

it does get easier, i promise. i very rarely have cravings now, 2 years in. here in the UK the weather is finally sunny - my brain sends me a little 'ping' about beer gardens but an ice-cold, full-fat coke placates it.

keep on keeping on...