Notices

Waves and waves of cravings

Old 06-05-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Well done on not drinking the wine and making yourself some coco ( i want some now but my husband making me a sugary mug of coffee )
Old 06-05-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I remember having those cravings wash over me, out of the blue, like a cold ocean wave. And I remember thinking, "Whoa, where did THAT come!"

Fortunately, they become less frequent, and less powerful, over time.

I am glad you fought your way through this one, Mera. Each of these battle won makes you a little stronger.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey Mera

Well if you want to start taking them again maybe take them at night...put them on your night stand.

Frankly Antibuse doesn't work for me. I'm not really a drinksie-daisy kind of person. I plan. Bottom line is, I have to do this because I want/need to. Not because I'm on a drug. That's just me however.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Paper and pencil or pen and just start writing: "I feel __________ because of ______" and just write. Do NOT read it, just keep writing.

Also, "I fear ___________because of ________" and write it out, again, Do Not Read it now!

Thank the Universe for being alive and sober today. Most of us die drunk or from some drunk experience.

Then write 5 things you are grateful for today.

p.s. Next time, on another day, when you have a craving, read what you wrote today.
This is a GREAT idea! Thank you- so up my alley and I will definitely remember this when I need this kind of reinforcement.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Glad you liked the clip, Mera. I speculated that you were probably living in Italy by then and may not have seen it.

In all honesty, I think we undervalue the role of laughter in recovery. Perhaps it's because the old "laughter is the best medicine" adage sounds so cliche, especially against the backdrop of something as serious as our recovery from addiction.

And yet ... it helps so much. I went sober on my own and there were more than a few nights of sheer pain. I wasn't kidding when I said that reruns of "Frasier" really helped. In fact, I am pretty sure they were something of a lifesaver.

It still is. I hit a blue spell in March and it was tough. Sure enough, one night I decided to watch an old Steve Martin flick, "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," and found my spirits lifting by the simplicity of laughing -- good, old-fashioned belly laughs. Highly recommended.

While that movie didn't make this list, there's plenty of good medicine to be found here:

American Film Institute
Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well done Mera! Im glad you got through your craving x x x
Old 06-05-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done amazing getting through the waves of cravings you reached out & got through it -
Old 06-05-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

great job Mera

How are you feeling now?