Notices

I'm eating too much ice cream!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Phish Food.

I buy some Ben and Jerrys and play Farmhouse and Down With Disease.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just under a month sober, and I've been chasing my cookies down with ice cream, in scary quantities. I'm allowing it right now, in very early sobriety, but recognize that it's not a good long-term substitution. It's no coincidence that I'm doing all of my unhealthy eating in the evenings, when I would normally be chugging vodka...
Old 06-01-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

All these ice cream posts.. I'm trying to avoid dairy but I do love some chocolate peanut butter swirl ice cream... Yummmmm
Old 06-01-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

congrats on 8 months

okay now, define too much please...

too much for some may not be enough for others, quantify your consumption, then determine if it is an unhealthy amount - it's quite possible,
lifestyle plays a big factor as well, are you sedentary or are you active, work out run etc...

tbs, I was POUNDING chocolate candy well into the 8 months mark. I eventually got over it, but lately, I've been enjoying ice cream again...
there is such a thing as food dependence as well...
I think as long you are not killing yourself with ice cream, you'll live

- I didn't mean that to sound funny... see how you are doing in a year...
Old 06-01-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Oh me too! Not so much ice cream but chocolate!!! I was never much of a sweet eater but now the fridge is stocked a variety of chocolate candies. I have to hold myself back when I'm in places like Target. I need to lose weight... seriously.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

All this talk about ice cream!!! Since I started my low carb eating plan, that is something I cant have, altho I do indulge when I feel the craving.
I substituted ice cream for whipped cream-- I freeze it so it has the "texture" of ice cream, and either dip it with strawberries or add jimmies on it for that little bit of chocolate sensation.
Whatever works, right?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm closing on 10 months sober - sugar is definitely filling in the void left by wine for me. Chocolate, ice cream, cookies, cake.... I've been gaining weight since I stopped drinking. I try to stop, but for now I just don't have enough will power to fight both the AV and the sugar dragon...
Old 06-01-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yep, I'm on the ice cream kick. That, chocolate milk and those granola bars with chocolate chips and peanut butter. Better than a 12 pack any day. One of these days I'll start trying to cut back, but not now.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I slowed down in year 3.

I'm serious.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well thanks so much for this. In 10 years I've maybe had 2 bowls of ice cream, was never a fan, but if it actually helps I was willing to give it a shot. Got me some seriously non-lowfat durian sorbet.... It was absolutely de-freaking-licious!!!

So thanks.... In a, I think a may regret this kinda way. 
Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Well, at least you can't get arrested for driving under the influence of ice cream!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Seriously, does this sweet tooth ever end? I'm nearly 8 months sober and I still crave sweets. Not as much as when I first stopped drinking -- thank God -- but it's still there. I think I might be rewarding myself with ice cream instead of wine now. (So much for the initial weight loss. ) For those of you with continued sobriety, did the cravings eventually go away?
I'm over two years sober.....

I had ice cream for breakfast.

I donno.... I ate like three cookies last night, too.

Somedays I'll go buy a box of candy and just devour it.

Other weeks I am very healthy in what I eat.

I suppose there's still a part of my brain that's driving that addictive binge..... but I'll tell you what; Ice cream, cookies and candy are nowhere near as destructive to my life as alcohol and drugs were.

We keep on working at it....

Maybe those weeks when we're finding ourselves craving sweets, it's an indication we could look within ourselves and ask what new steps we might take to deepen sobriety.

Keep on track, go easy on yourself, and don't sweat the ice cream too much. Ice cream is pretty fantastic. You can't really be blamed for devouring it....

Old 06-02-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Uncorked, 8 months sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. I don't know if there is such a thing as eating to much ice cream, rootin for ya.