Notices

Choice.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choice.

Go ahead, explain how exactly you came to 'choose' to be sober.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One might ask oneself, why choose to be so angry about this?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I chose to be sober 10 months ago. And again, and again, and again...
Old 06-01-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's up?
Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, after years of knowing I needed to quit, of trying to moderate,I finally CHOSE to quit.

So I chose to educate myself and make a plan.

I chose to work that plan everyday and when I fell I chose to get back up. You got upset because I said that I heard AV in your post but I'm just responding to what I read. Your words. I also read your other posts. You got angry because we all told you that your "drinking on weekends" plan was s bad one. This is s sobriety website and nobody is going to support any kind of drinking and moderation.

You do have power and I know you use your brain.

I really hope you start recognizing your AV because it's going to have a field day with your emotions right now. I hope you use these feelings as fuel for sobriety.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How I finally chose to be sober:

-I chose to stop running my life on self-will because I finally saw it wasn't working.

-I hit my rock bottom and surrendered.

-I made the choice every new morning to do God's will and not my will, and to ask Him for help in carrying it out.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I chose to be sober when I was sick and tired of waking up feeling horrible and hating myself.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

My response to that other thread:

I think that what helped me to finally get sober was that when that "shift" in my thinking finally came, I had to also be willing to be damned uncomfortable for a while. To once and for all do whatever it took to not give in to those cravings no matter how strong they were.

I tried all kinds of things, like playing the tape forward, talking to someone, going to meetings, eating ice cream, etc, but there were a lot of times that I was curled up in a ball crying in frustration. I rode it out, knowing deep down that to give in would only make it all worse.

I couldn't take that kind of suffering before that until all the pain that came from drinking became unbearable enough.

So, in a sense, it was a choice, in that I chose to suffer through the misery of craving in order to avoid the consequences of giving in and drinking. I also had to choose to use the things/tools I had that would help me stay sober and be happy that way.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Despite many failures,
I chose to be sober simply
because the mild hangover
of 30+ years ago, gradually
morphed into the "death" hangover,
combined with horrific withdrawals.
Actually I could fill a page or two
with other reasons, as well.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're challenging us to convince you to get sober?

That's your job. Even if we somehow succeeded, your AV would just turn around and convince you that we're all full of it.

You have to find your own answer and you'll have all the support in the world here once you do.

I will ask, though...if drinking is so great, why do you come here?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Thismadamisdone View Post
You choose to be sober the same way you choose to drink. Alcohol doesn't magically appear in your hand and pour itself down your throat, you have to make several choices to get it there. You have to get money to buy it, drive to the store to get it, pay for it, take it home and then open it and drink it.

So today, instead of doing those things you could choose to go to an AA meeting. Or call your doctor and make an appointment to talk about your drinking and get a checkup. Or you could choose to call an alcohol drug counselor or a local rehab facility.

There are a lot of people and resources to help us in our sober journey, but at the end of the day YOU are the only one that can actually make it happen.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good advise here madame these people know what they're talking about.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got to the place where I really don't have much of a choice. The alternative for me at this point is homelessness or death. I can't keep a job and actively drink at the same time. I've lost the last 3 jobs I've had indirectly because of my alcoholism. I don't perform well when I'm horribly hung over or needing to skip off at lunch to drain a few pints to stop the shakes. I used to be a functional alcoholic but these days I just end up dropping everything to do nothing but drink
Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

I spent years trying to control my drinking. I can't even begin to count how many times I said to myself "never again". And by "never again" I meant "never again" will I drink enough to black out or say stupid crap or rage at whoever was in range.

But I didn't have control of my drinking. The potential for disaster was there every single time I drank. I was playing Russian roulette every single time, no exception.

Knowing that I couldn't continue like that any longer and accepting that I wouldn't continue like that any longer were 2 separate processes for me. I stayed stuck in the knowing stage for way too long.

It required work, gut wrenching honesty with myself, foot stomping, grief, and finally, on my knees acceptance.

The relief I feel to no longer wake up with no memory of the night before, to find people I loved not talking to me, to feeling sick with shame and self hatred and to swearing "never again" will I let it get that bad......well, there aren't even words big enough to express my relief.

I have never regretted one single day, not one single moment, since I made the choice to embrace sobriety. It has been worth every challenge, every tear shed and every joy experienced.

I followed your other thread and you strike me as an intelligent and thoughtful person. I believe, if you let yourself, you will find your way.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hated what my life was becoming, and didn't want that for myself. So I chose to live differently.

Choosing is active, I am not sure what you're not seeing about that. You are not at the mercy of every whim that runs through your head. NO one can "make" you choose to be sober, and your mind is not going to do it "for" you. Put it there.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

On December 13th, 2015, I told a friend I wanted to stop drinking in the New Year. It was affecting my health and my job, and making a bad relationship worse. My friend wisely said: why wait? I realised she was right. I had my last drink that night.

The next day I made an appointment with a doctor and told her honestly how much I drank. She told me to stop immediately. She referred me to a counsellor. I made an appointment with the counsellor. I scheduled a blood test with my doctor.

After the doctor's, I called my mother and told her I had a drinking problem and was quitting. Then I told my siblings one by one.

That evening I logged onto SR for the first time since registering the year before. I joined the Class of December 2015. I read as much as I could on this site.

I made a recovery plan. I identified my triggers and planned strategies to address them. I ordered and read books on recovery. I posted on SR everyday. I broke off the bad relationship. I started exercising daily. I joined a new gym class. I bought teas to drink. I started and finished small home projects.

I addressed as many triggers as I could.

I have been sober for 170 days. And that's exactly how I chose to be sober for that time.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sometimes I feel like drinking or thinking about going some where drinking is occurring and I choose not to. I can buy beer at the store but I choose not to.

I had a lot help choosing not to drink. Mostly the wreckage it caused including, 5 DWIs, missed opportunities, hangovers, car wrecks, failed relationships and crummy jail food.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My choice was about whether I wanted to continue in the same vein I had for the previous umpteen years of my existence or whether I actually wanted something I could regard as a "life".

Because I chose to have a life, I pretty much backed myself into a corner.
I'd run out of all other avenues and people to blame for my sorry arse existence and all that was left was the way marker pointing toward sobriety.

Begrudgingly I started to walk that way, inititially I got a few blisters and a strained muscle or two but now my only complaint is that it's almost too bright in here.

It's the most beautiful thing that's ever happened to me, love is everywhere I look, and the life I always dreamt of greets me every single morning with a big fat grin.

I guess it's not for everyone though.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all have different moments when we make the choice to stop drinking and recover.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thismadamisdone View Post
you purposefully make the decision to not drink in the day, hour, moment...