Notices

Slips - How to stop them

Old 05-19-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The Beast, the reptile brain...the Thing that had never gone away, and never will, but just lies dormant and seemingly absent, patiently waiting for its chance to be fed and f*ck up my life.

I know we personify the addictive "voice" to recognize patterns, triggers and cravings - but the voice is still ALL US, and because it is ALL US, ultimately we have the true power, not some sort of beast.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Happened to me more times than I could count, before I got more committed to recovery. As others have pointed out, our brains control our bodies, and there are many points to make a different decision in between the so-called "snapping point" and when the alcohol actually enters our mouths. Over time, these sudden urges do dissipate too
Old 05-20-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just subscribing to this thread. Twice relapse myself. Round 3 again Monday. The mind is a powerful asset and enemy at the same time thru all this. Unbelievable the willpower I had.. yet my mind watched me watch myself watch my mind walk me down the beer aisle, crack the can and consume. In slow motion. That's what you call insanity. AA talks about it. Didn't stop me though. Should have. Didn't. Easier said than done. But doable. I totally relate to what you experienced.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
...So I have about 60 non consecutive days away from alcohol...
What in the Sam Hill does that mean; 60 'non consecutive' days...? Perhaps you would have better luck, and accountability, if you only counted consecutive says w/o alcohol.

(o:

P.S. My DOS is June 23, 1986 (my decision to not drink again), so today I have 10924 days sober, but since I hadn't had a drink for about four days before the 23rd, perhaps I could count those too, and lots of times I didn't drink every day, can I count those 'dry' days too.....? I could go on, but that's way too confusing; I think I'll stick with 10924............................ (o:

P.P.S. "Slips - How to stop them" Don't pick up!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bump for a friend
Old 07-13-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
So I have about 60 non consecutive days away from alcohol. I feel better, look better, think better and am starting to like my life as a sober person.
I have been reading devotionals every day, attend online bible studies, read here, have a counselor that I speak with.

Yesterday I was in town. Ran all kinds of errands, went to the grocery walked right past the alcohol that I normally buy three times in 3 different stores. I was fine - felt fine. On the way home I ran through a drive through to get a bottle of water. Out of nowhere I buy a bottle of vodka. This was not planned (as it normally would have been). I bought it. Drove 40 minutes home, opened it and drank it all within about 4 hours.

Today of course I am sick as a dog, disgusted, ashamed, feel very weak willed.

This has happened 3 times in the last 60+ days. All three times were not premeditated at all. It's as if once I had the bottle in hand all reason went out the window and tunnel vision was all that I saw. I am/was so proud of myself. A year ago I wouldn't have went more than 3 days without drinking. I obviously am at day 1 (although I hate saying that) AGAIN. What is different this time is that I am getting right back on the horse. Not staying down for days or weeks.

What do you all do for those spur of the moment unstoppable (or seemingly unstoppable) triggers. I know I had 40 minutes on the way home to talk myself out of it, to dump it - something. But I did not. I even played the tape all the way through. My answer was "just one more time". "It will be fine." Well it wasn't.
I have to be harsh - you picked up the bottle. OF COURSE what followed was going to happen. And "slips," or "relapses" or "oops" or whatever you want to call it - you drank. YOU.

What do you do for the spur of the moment "unstoppable (or seemingly unstoppable) triggers? You don't let it get to that point. You stop the ball before it even gets to the top of the hill and has a chance to start rolling.

You have plans - for the daily stuff, ie have water in the car! drive a different way home! talk on your cell all the way home for distraction!

And for the special stuff. And for the surprise stuff.

This is alcoholism 101. Don't put yourself in a place or situation you can't handle - and if it is a suspect one, and sometimes even daily life is "suspect" or "iffy" - you plan.

How much do you really want to finally be sober? That is what you should be asking yourself.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The big book of alcoholics anonymous talks about our powerless over alcohol both mentally and physically. We have lost the power of choice in drinking and our strength must come from a higher power (anything greater than yourself). I think it is about time you stengthen your recovery plan because what your doing is obviously not working. Try attending an AA meeting and workings the steps. They really work.