Notices

Complicated Relationship with Sugar

Old 05-04-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Complicated Relationship with Sugar

Well it's day 46 of sobriety and I am pleased to report I enjoyed unbroken sleep from midnight until quarter of seven - so that is encouraging!

I have been experiencing crazy sugar cravings in this recovery adventure, which I realize is common. Something I noticed this morning, though, after I ate two of the baby sized donuts for breakfast instead of something healthy - is that I feel a bit panicky, worried, fearful - and I haven't really been feeling that way since before I stopped drinking.

Can sugar all by itself cause a spike in anxiety? Have any of you experienced this?

Last edited by madgirl; 05-04-2016 at 08:44 AM. Reason: unclear sentence
Old 05-04-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't know if sugar in itself can provide a spike in anxiety but it provides quick energy for your body. I know my mind and body were very unsettled for a while after quitting, could be some lingering withdrawals too.

You could always check with your doc too to see if you have blood sugar issues, mine was a bit out of whack for a while during the end of my drinking.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sugar fuels my anxiety. I can feel it right after I've eaten something sugary.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

There is an old wive's tale to "eat something with sugar" to stop an alcohol craving. What sugar can do is cause a spike in your blood sugar level that drops rapidly and in fact causes a bigger craving/anxiety. I have issues with sugar. It is best to stick with complex carbohydrates and protein and avoid "donuts" and other sugar saturated foods. If you eat a well balanced diet, eventually things will level out and the sugar cravings will go away. Just like with alcohol, if you continue to feed them, they do not go away. Good diet, exercise and Vitamin supplements, primarily B Vitamins will do wonders to get you on your way.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I know it wasn't the smartest/healthiest breakfast choice
The little container was just sitting there, and I sort of mindlessly grabbed them with my coffee.

I posted about it because I wanted to see if anyone else noticed the anxiety and sugar connection - or if it was just me. I didn't eat them strategically to reduce cravings for alcohol

The positive in this situation is that obviously I am feeling so much better that I would even NOTICE this - when actively drinking, I felt so horrendous that a baby donut wouldn't even register on the scale.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on day 46
Old 05-04-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi
My screen name kinda says it all. I have mad sugar cravings all the time. I also have reactive hypoglycemia, so I get bad anxiety when my blood sugar spikes too high, too fast. Especially in the mornings. I find that I feel much better if I eat fruit or peanut butter to satisfy my sweet cravings.
Hope it helps. I am the sugar angel, after all. lol
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sugar highs and lows really don't make for a balanced Beccybean. And once I've had some refined sugar, I crave it all day. No such thing as enough it seems. Much like alcohol, just a little makes me want to chop my face off so I can get more down my throat quicker lol. I now try to stick to natural sugar snacks (fresh, whole fruit) I the day. If I have a small sugary treat I make it after my evening meal to minimise the impact.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, and my doc told me to add protein when I eat sweets. Like at Thanksgiving, he told me to eat some leftover turkey with my leftover pumpkin pie. Basically, he said that when I get anxious like you did this morning, to eat protein, or nuts. It helps even you out again.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Makes perfect sense!!! After I had a sandwich (whole grain bread, turkey) for lunch, I felt better.
I never cared about sweets before when I was drinking wine - and really didn't understand how much sugar was IN that wine.
It's a learning process but I am SO GLAD to be in the class!!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 46 days! My sweet tooth has also become a cookie monster. I guess wine had more sugar than we thought. It's calmed down some, but I still eat way more sweets/desserts than I ever used to. Ice cream every night. And oh, donut holes don't have calories if you eat them while standing...
Old 05-04-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

16 days in and actually gained weight vs losing, so not cool
Old 05-04-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I find non sugar substitutes helpful: equal, splenda, etc. saccharine, etc.

W.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

46 days is awesome....I, also, had insane sugar cravings, could not get enough....
I was still eating more sugar than I had in my whole life at 15 months sober..
Someone recommended probiotics and fermented foods.
I started taking probiotics and eating more fermented foods and the sugar cravings, along with quite a bit of anxiety all but disappeared...
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've always had a sweet tooth (and have always eaten ridiculous amounts of chocolate) so I haven't really noticed a sugar surge after quitting booze (about a month so far). I have noticed less intake of food (esp in the middle of the night).

But there have been times during dinner where I've ordered a large dessert thinking that 'I didn't have any cocktails so may as well have the chocolate cake.'
Old 05-05-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sure that I brought on type 2 diabetes due to my drinking. I continued drinking and pretty much ingnoring the type 2 issue and was now on metformin and glipremide to mediate my sugar levels. So stupid.

Now that I have stopped drinking ( 27 days thus far) my sugar levels have improved considerably. ( 107's as opposed to 250's and up!)

I would be careful as to the amount of sugar intake one has especially if one has abusing been alcohol.

Totfit made some good suggestions.

Congrats on your sobriety !
Old 05-05-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post

Can sugar all by itself cause a spike in anxiety? Have any of you experienced this?
Sure have and I still after many years of sobriety crave sugar many times each day and can get an overdose that is very unpleasant.

You are correct -- it's common for those in recovery to get into sweets. Most sponsors will say go ahead it's better than what you were doing. But, we know that moderation in most everything usually works out for the best. My wife has it down but, I have a very hard time moderating many things.

MB
Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've just stuffed my face with three cinnamon rolls (straight from the oven) and I can feel the anxiety creeping up on me.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Try a sip of high quality pure, maple syrup, rather than
the chemical sugars of donuts.
The type that needs refrigeration after opening.
I like it with cold spring water and a hit of cayenne.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fabela I'm sorry I know it totally sucks but that was FUNNY I can totally picture me doing that

Um, Lunar, wow. That sounds amazing actually.