Notices

Complicated Relationship with Sugar

Old 05-05-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, at least I know where the anxiety is coming from. Makes it easier to handle. And those rolls were delicious!
Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I've just stuffed my face with three cinnamon rolls (straight from the oven) and I can feel the anxiety creeping up on me.
Safeway makes these giant cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting lately. Slightly melted in the microwave and they're one of the only foods that are so good it comes close to a drug. They're the only thing that I have to struggle with not to put into the cart. Man, those giant cinnamon rolls.
Like most people, my sweet tooth has increase tenfold since I quit drinking. I actually never had a sweet tooth before that I liked savory foods and snacks and never had any desire whatsoever for sweets. Not now.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Well it's day 46 of sobriety and I am pleased to report I enjoyed unbroken sleep from midnight until quarter of seven - so that is encouraging!

I have been experiencing crazy sugar cravings in this recovery adventure, which I realize is common. Something I noticed this morning, though, after I ate two of the baby sized donuts for breakfast instead of something healthy - is that I feel a bit panicky, worried, fearful - and I haven't really been feeling that way since before I stopped drinking.

Can sugar all by itself cause a spike in anxiety? Have any of you experienced this?
Sugar is another addiction. It works on the brain the in many of the same ways as cocaine or alcohol....

Further, when we take away alcohol - a significant source of sugar is eliminate - which can stimulate a craving for sugar.

Because of the relationship between addiction and anxiety - I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a direct link between sugar and anxiety. Sugar addiction and sugar response in the body can kick off the same processes that drugs and alcohol can.

So, in a very unscientific but logical and anecdotal sense - I think the answer is "absolutely".
Old 05-05-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sigh.

Yes you're right. Initially I bought sweets to keep on hand because I have just been trying to get through each day sober, but I realize now I need to kick my newly developed addiction to freaking sugar. Ugh.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been addicted to sugar since I was ten, so that's my primary addiction. And I can tell you that quitting alcohol is a lot easier than quitting sugar.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Dang it Fabela!!! Ha ha - yeah it's going to be a challenge for sure
Old 05-05-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Dang it Fabela!!! Ha ha - yeah it's going to be a challenge for sure
Didn't mean to discourage you, madgirl. I believe it will always be more difficult to quit your first major addiction, so I'm sure that you will be able to do this.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I can definitely notice the difference in mood after a sugar binge.
My new addiction is cheesecake!
I feel a bit anxious tonight - I really over did the sugar today!
Hmmm .....
It's that moderation word again!
Not sure I know how to do that!
X
Old 05-05-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

OF, moderation is so much easier when it comes to sugar! Piece of cake! (Pun intended. ) It's the quitting that is impossible.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sugar produces yeast and that can affect your whole system. I have a chronic skin/ systemic infection. I have to take probiotics to fight off the side effects of candida which makes it worse and also avoid yeasty foods which I crave. I broke down last night and had ice cream, really my only sweet downfall, and I feel hung over and my tongue and throat are swollen. I play I pay!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
OF, moderation is so much easier when it comes to sugar! Piece of cake! (Pun intended. ) It's the quitting that is impossible.
Piece of cake Fabela?
As in singular!?
I'm not sure I understand this language you're speaking .....
One drink, one piece of cake?
I'm going to have to leave the house without money!
Otherwise cheesecake throws itself in my bag!
X
Old 05-06-2016, 01:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overforty View Post
I can definitely notice the difference in mood after a sugar binge.
My new addiction is cheesecake!
I feel a bit anxious tonight - I really over did the sugar today!
Hmmm .....
It's that moderation word again!
Not sure I know how to do that!
X
To get a cheat cheesecake fix I mix half a tub of quark with a white chocolate options drink sachet and some sweetener and top with loads of chopped fresh strawberries. No sugar rush but tastes great.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Something also yummy and good is raw honey.

I look at it this way. Our bodies are machines. What happens when you put bad gas in your car? It breaks down...

I binged. I can't believe the amount of alcohol (calories) I drank at times. My poor system.

I am so glad I will never do that anymore. It's so bad for our bodies and also our minds.