Notices

Positive Thoughts for Good Decisions

Old 04-26-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive Thoughts for Good Decisions

Something that's always helped me not drink....especially when it was a daily affair....

Think about tomorrow, not NOW....there's a beauty of living in the present...not saying go off on a big worrying tangent of the future.

When that craving to drink ....that initial thought...at the very moment it starts to creep in your head....change the focus to this:

Name 3 Reasons For Tomorrow I'm NOT Drinking
Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1) My son deserves me at my BEST every single day
2) That beautiful feeling of opening your eyes....NOT hungover and filled with poison, shame, regret, and depression
3) To get a kick ass work out in that will leave you feeling proud the rest of the day
Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great advice Wildchild. I do the same thing by playing-it-forward and realize where one drink today will bring me to tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent thread & post wildchild

1. I accept my alcoholism
2. Given time & effort living sober/ in sobriety is awesome
3. This is the real me
Old 04-26-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

reason #1 - TODAY!!! Tomorrow, I will be grateful for the way that I lived TODAY. Tomorrow, I will hold the memories of the time well spent, the Joy, the challenge, the achievement, the growth.... of TODAY. Tomorrow, I will be a better person for my sobriety TODAY>

Reason#2 - Tomorrow will be TODAY!!!! When I awake from the world of dreams into another 'reality' of the rising sun, with a clear head and strong body, I will be ready to soak in the majestic blessing of TODAY. I will be able to face that glorious and mysterious opportunity with my faculties intact, with my memories and my hopes and my capabilities gathered about me and the JOURNEY OF TODAY will begin anew with presence and joy.

Reason #3 - NOW. Whether Today, Tomorrow, Today again or seventeen years hence.... I choose sobriety because NOW holds within it's three humble letters the possibilities of a lifetime, a universe, a cosmos, a spirit, a second, a million million million unknown wonders. And in all that magic, there is no need to cloud myself with intoxication... no call nor space for blowing that gift upon the obliteration of a drug or an altered state. I can alter my state with a run, a swim, painting a picture, helping a friend, gazing at a sunrise.... NOW. Tomorrow, I will chose life sober because NOW. And NOW I will choose life sober because tomorrow.....
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

c011:

gave me chills freeowl!! fantastic!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you too soberwolf!!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1. I will have a positive attitude with my wife and two daughters in the morning.
2. I will not have put myself in any unsafe scenarios last night like behind the wheel.
3. I will have a great day of productivity at work and the gym.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In a book I've been TRYING to read .... It talks about our thought patterns being literal paths in our brain.... the more we think a certain thought or a certain way...the more likely the thought pattern will continue down that path because we actually engrave it in our brain... not scientific terms...just general concept. It describes it like actual roads..like a map. We have the power to retrain our thought processes and to create a new path ....as always easier said than done but worth doing
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

1. I do not wish to go back to "having" to drink in order to survive. At the end of my drinking, I did not even want to drink, but I felt COMPELLED to drink. I was lonely, weak, miserable, desperate, hopeless and felt like had no other choice but drink I was completely psychologically and physically dependent on alcohol.

2. I have an amazing job, great relationship with my family, sober friends in AA, and HOPE for the future today. All are so precious to me and I dont want to lose any of them. I am 100% sure I would lose my job if I drank again.

3. Being able to be present and actually enjoy the moment, what Im doing, who Im spending time with. When I was drinking, any activity (i.e. work) that did not involve drinking was excruciating and I wouldnt be able to enjoy the moment, I just wanted to be done so I can just go home and start my drinking. Being extremely irritated whenever my drinking patterns were interrupted.

So grateful to be free of the insanity one day at a time.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

is it The Power of Habit?

Sounds like it....
Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actually it's called Emotional Alchemy....

it's all about mindfulness.... trying to understand ourselves better without judgement and truly live in the present....

I've said a few times on here...I've had really damaging relationships and am a fiery person anyways, but this has left me quite angry, bigger, and resentful...
I've identified this is the emotional trigger for my binges and admit it's my choice and I become powerless when I start to drink....
now I'm just trying to deal with this resentment... and trying to forgive when people are not really sorry....desperately want to truly let this go and not suppress it
Old 04-26-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic thread-
Here's mine:
1, Because I feel sooooo much better about myself now that I'm sober. Life is far from easy, but that seems less relevant the better I feel about me.
2, At anytime of day or night I can do what needs to be done.
3, My daughter is proud of me now and that's priceless.

xx
Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildchild69 View Post
In a book I've been TRYING to read .... It talks about our thought patterns being literal paths in our brain.... the more we think a certain thought or a certain way...the more likely the thought pattern will continue down that path because we actually engrave it in our brain... not scientific terms...just general concept. It describes it like actual roads..like a map. We have the power to retrain our thought processes and to create a new path ....as always easier said than done but worth doing
I believe that's the way such painful resentments are formed. "Re Sent"