Notices

Sudafed

Old 04-24-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sudafed

Hi all,

I'm not new to the forum, and in fact, I'm rapidly approaching my one-year mark. May 7th, 2016. I could not find the "Class of May" thread, but since this is about an entirely separate topic, I thought it could warrant its own thread.

About two months ago, I began taking Sudafed (the one behind the counter - with pseudoephedrine) and have taken it in the morning, before work, for nasal congestion and allergies. It wasn't until today that I got a nagging feeling I'd been taking it too long.

While I never took more than the dosage made for one 24-hr period, I remember reading (a long while back) that you're only supposed to take it for a week or so.

I told my sponsor, and in light of my upcoming anniversary, I asked him if he thought I should pick up another white chip. He asked my motives, which were not to feel high or different, as is the case with other drugs, and we eventually came to the decision that picking up a white would not be necessary, but prayer and seeking guidance from my higher power is, and taking Sudafed (and other types of meds) is on the no-go list from this point forward.

So, with the knowledge that I'm not picking up a white, I still don't want to feel like a phony on May 7th. I have not had a drink in almost a year, attend meetings regularly, and based upon the Sudafed conversation, will be upping my number of meetings. I regularly talk to alcoholics.

I think it's also good to note I will be starting the steps over (pre-planned), and that in this case, I was not seeking a high.

I'm prone to anxiety and depression, though, and as such, I love to go over things in my head non-stop.

Soo ... what's the bottom line? Even though I've talked this through with my sponsor, I worry that individuals at my home group will think I'm not being true to myself - or the program.

Thank you for reading, and letting me get that off my chest. Any and all thoughts welcomed.

TG
Old 04-24-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would personally see no issue at all with taking any OTC medicine for its prescribed use ( well, maybe not NYQuil! ) As far as the long term issue, that would be more of a medical issue...perhaps your doctor could recommend/prescribe something better for long term allergy relief?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is what you think about yourself. Don't worry about the others.

Congratulations on your recovery!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I don't really see a problem if taking it as prescribed/directed. If you are worried about taking it for extended periods of time I would discuss it with your doctor.

Now I don't know what your group are going to think.
I saw a program on ID channel where a woman was groped by a male at a meeting, she brought up the incident to the group and they told her she needs to stay away from him, like it was her fault. Basically saying that you don't know how people will react,
I am in no way condemning AA.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
Now I don't know what your group are going to think.
I'm part of a rather large group, with lots of opinions, of course, but my gut feeling is only my sponsor and close friends in the program need to know. We all have group members that are in the periphery, and to invite potential judgement from them isn't something I plan to do.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sudaphed actually makes me nervous so I don't take it.
Congrats on your sobriety. I wouldn't bring it up at a meeting. No one's opinion on that matters except your own. There will always be a judgmental person to bring you down.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughts as well as your congratulations. I can't say it's been the easiest year, but I'm a better person than I was when I walked in the door. As much as I pushed the thought away every once in awhile, I think I'm going to end up a happy customer.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Congrats CC! As others have said, you know your motives and have examined your intentions and I see no reason why taking sudafed would be any different than taking aspirin or any other OTC med. your motives were pure, stop torturing yourself and enjoy your milestone!!
Xox
Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you were just taking it as a nasal decongestant and not trying to get high then don't give it a second thought. Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd look to my motives. If you think your motives were pure, then it doesn't matter a whit what anyone else thinks.

congrats on your year CC

D
Old 04-24-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations CC