Notices

New to the site, but not "new"

Old 03-09-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site, but not "new"

Just saying hi. I have over 5 years sober. 1st year I did on my own, tried out the 12 step programs and kicked around meetings for the next couple years. I kindly said goodbye to that after many uncomfortable experiences and to be honest it wasn't a good match for me. Last couple years I've been just doing my own thing trying to live life and be happy. I miss talking to people that understand the addict brain/mind though. I guess I am looking for the "companionship" without the dogma.
Second part of the post. Does anyone have experience with refuge recovery? And if so, how are the meetings in comparison? Curious because I enjoy reading Buddhist and Taoist (eastern philosophy in general) as a hobby, but not in any religious way. I guess I am asking if it also has a dogmatic way about it or if it is more relaxed and understanding of multiple recovery methods.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! 12 step recovery isn't for everyone, but I would recommend going to some kind of recovery meeting - especially if you want to talk to people who can relate. I'm a 12-stepper myself, so I can't really say much on other recovery groups. Keep us updated though!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you look in the secular section of the site you will find info on refuge recovery.

Welcome!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 03-09-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome AlphaWolf
Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The refuge meeting here starts out with some readings followed by a 40 minute meditation. Afterwards it rotates weekly from speaker/book study/writing. It is held in a mediation center so we have pillows and seats there and everything is pretty comfy. The meditation is guided which is helpful. People always have a chance to share if they want to, and they always ask if there are new comers so you can introduce yourself in the beginning. I really enjoy the meeting, there are always interesting insights and I've always felt very welcome to do my own thing there. I'm sure they differ in different areas but that is the general gist of it. The books questions seemed to be very similar to inventories for steps 1 and 2 from a Buddhist perspective.