Notices

What would you add to your life if you drank again?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What would you add to your life if you drank again?

So I went to see my wise addiction councillor today. He asked me this question to ponder: If I you drink again, what would you get that you don't get at the moment? I had been explaining that even though most of my life is much better sober there are still times when I fantasise about drinking again.

I'm going to think about his question some more and let you have my answer soon.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pain of waking up and not able to make it to work
Financial pain of realizing that my bar tab was $70 and I had $70 walking in
The look of disgust on the bartenders' faces knowing that I was an alcoholic and being in the position of helping me destroy my life

Those are the first things that come to mind...
Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I can't think of anything positive that I would add to my life if I drank again.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Chaos, depression, and anxiety. And no self respect. And waking up feeling horrible.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Not sure if this is adding to or subtracting from but for me it would be death
Old 03-08-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would get 3-4 hours of feeling good, euphoric, without a care in the world. Then I would spend the next 3 days trying to chase that feeling those first 6 drinks gave me but never being able to duplicate it. Finally. I would end up just a drunken mess who had shirked his responsibilities for a week and hadn't left the house. The next week would be spent hating myself, a huge departure from the first 6 drinks I had a week before....
Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im with MIRecovery. Death.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol is the great remover.

"Alcohol will remove stains from clothing. This is quite correct and just to prove its amazing versatility it will also remove the winter clothes, spring clothes and summer clothes from man, his wife and children if used in sufficient quantity. Alcohol will also remove furniture from the home, rugs from the floor, food from the table, lining from the stomach, vision from the eyes and judgment from the mind. Alcohol will also remove reputations, good jobs, good friends, happiness from the children’s hearts, sanity, freedom, man’s ability to adjust and live with his fellow man and even life itself. As a remover of things, alcohol has no equal." - Author Unknown
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I'm just gonna be a smart ass here and say I would add another recovery If I drank again
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fear and loathing & lots anxious.

I could see how tantalizing the beginning giddiness still remains to me. But it would be so short lived and would lead to the downward spiral of regret and panic.

One bout of controlled drinking does a detox patient make out of me.

Right now I'm finding sobriety as isolating as my worst drinking stages. But it's different and better and I know it will change with time.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A hour or two of numbness and then depression.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm only 28 days in, but for the last week when I have that momenTary thought if never drinking again and feeling that as a negative, my brain then reminds me that alcohol doesn't serve me well, period. I never before was able to resolve that mentally and it has given me some comfort in those moments when I have those thoughts.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Im with MIRecovery. Death.
3rd that.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is a good thread for me today. One interesting thing I have recently read...drinking changes the porosity of our guts (that stomach lining thing again), allowing bacteria that should stay in our intestines out into our bloodstreams. Now that is a fun thought-- I could add to my life: heart disease and arthritis from hordes of bad bacteria setting up shop in arteries and valves and joints.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would gain a headstone
Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

What would I add to my life if I drank again? An enormous pain-in-the-azz that I don't want, can't afford, and won't have.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I would get 3-4 hours of feeling good, euphoric, without a care in the world. Then I would spend the next 3 days trying to chase that feeling those first 6 drinks gave me but never being able to duplicate it. Finally. I would end up just a drunken mess who had shirked his responsibilities for a week and hadn't left the house. The next week would be spent hating myself, a huge departure from the first 6 drinks I had a week before....
Exactly. You read my mind. John.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't think I would survive another bout of drinking - I was always suicidal!!!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
I'm just gonna be a smart ass here and say I would add another recovery If I drank again
Who says you get another recovery?

If I use again, it's because I have decided to kill myself.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
quat

Not one thing worthwhile.
Took me about 47 yrs to admit intellectually that was the case. After internalizing and accepting it and deciding to be done with 'it',I realized that part of me ( my AV) won't /can't, isn't able to intellectualize the negative effects of addiction and that trying to fight it was futile. Any thoughts that paint alcohol use for me in a positive light are inherently wrong , I may not be able to stop those thoughts from percolating to the surface but I damn sure do not have to or will act on them. With time the internalization and acceptance grows and those thoughts become more and more fleeting and packed with much less 'pull' .
I don't want to and haven't for awhile now and my plan is to never again drink(and to never change my mind on that plan), does that mean my plan will guarantee that I never may want to ?perhaps not but it doesn't change the plan , it just means the AV presented itself again and the best way to answer it is with the plan (the Big Plan) .