Notices

Saturday challenge ...

Old 02-27-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Although fear and regret is usually not enough to keep any of us sober please do not follow in my foot steps.

As many of you know my daughter died cancer on my 5 year sobriety birthday. I have kept sober through out some very difficult times but the one thing I doubt I will ever be able to forgive myself for are the days wasted being drunk. The majority of her life I was an alcoholic and I think back on how much more I could have given if I had been sober.

I can not tell you what a gift sobriety is to yourself and your children. Trust me when I say you never want to look backwards and wish you had been sober for your children because the moments only come once and when the moment is gone it is gone forever.

I am so happy for you and your son that you have a wonderful sober date and if you stay sober there will be many more
Old 02-27-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went for a walk in the rain which is my favourite- then the rain cleared a couple hours later, and I went outside again to run up some wooden stairs that go up a hill; because I love sunshine after the rain.
Not a hope in hell I would've done that drinking or hungover
Old 02-27-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Although fear and regret is usually not enough to keep any of us sober please do not follow in my foot steps.

As many of you know my daughter died cancer on my 5 year sobriety birthday. I have kept sober through out some very difficult times but the one thing I doubt I will ever be able to forgive myself for are the days wasted being drunk. The majority of her life I was an alcoholic and I think back on how much more I could have given if I had been sober.

I can not tell you what a gift sobriety is to yourself and your children. Trust me when I say you never want to look backwards and wish you had been sober for your children because the moments only come once and when the moment is gone it is gone forever.

I am so happy for you and your son that you have a wonderful sober date and if you stay sober there will be many more
(((( hug))))
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I took my kids bowling and last night I took my youngest to see a movie. So much better than sitting on the couch either drinking or recovering from drinking!! Tomorrow I am taking the dog and whoever wants to join me to a big conservatory park for a long walk. I want to do my best to fill up that time I was wasting with new healthier habits.

Great thread!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Although fear and regret is usually not enough to keep any of us sober please do not follow in my foot steps. As many of you know my daughter died cancer on my 5 year sobriety birthday. I have kept sober through out some very difficult times but the one thing I doubt I will ever be able to forgive myself for are the days wasted being drunk. The majority of her life I was an alcoholic and I think back on how much more I could have given if I had been sober. I can not tell you what a gift sobriety is to yourself and your children. Trust me when I say you never want to look backwards and wish you had been sober for your children because the moments only come once and when the moment is gone it is gone forever. I am so happy for you and your son that you have a wonderful sober date and if you stay sober there will be many more
thank you for sharing and big ((hugs)) to you. The evil of cancer is near and dear to my heart as it has effected so many in my family as well as friends and coworkers. I also do a lot of charity work for cancer research. I appreciate you sharing and your perspective. Typically I don't let my thoughts go to putting myself in your shoes because I simply can't and don't want to fathom what you have had to endure - but I need to also open my eyes to that and make sure to appreciate and not waste the moments I have to make lasting memories.