SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Saturday challenge ... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/385818-saturday-challenge.html)

ICanDoBetter 02-27-2016 10:32 AM

Saturday challenge ...

Choose something to do today that would not have been part of your Saturday agenda if you were not sober.

My challenge - get off my duff (I'm taking a break from chores at the moment - dog hair and dirty laundry abounds!) and follow through on taking my six year old for a date later today. He requested frozen yogurt and the grocery store :-). (Love my kids!!!). Were I not sober, I likely would have said we would do it and then I'd not actually do it because I'd have chosen to drink starting mid afternoon. I hate to admit that but it's the truth ... And I'm striving to right those wrongs.

PurpleKnight 02-27-2016 10:52 AM

I got up around 9am today, was off work but usually that would have been midday or later if I had been drinking, I never used to see weekend mornings if i wasn't working, soo much time lost to drinking and hangovers.

Next up I've been taking it easy and watching some of the sport that's been on, again usually I'd be heading down to a pub and so the drinking for the day would go on.

I'm currently sat with a pot of green tea, not only watching the sport, but have got plenty of housework sorted this afternoon.

This evening there is boxing on TV, and again going to enjoy going to bed without blacking out, and waking up on my Sunday hangover free!!

Have a great Saturday ICanDoBetter!! :)

Soberwolf 02-27-2016 11:34 AM

Really beautiful post ICDB made my heart really warm

zlhzlh 02-27-2016 11:48 AM

Yep, I agree ! Lovely post, made me smile 're: date with 6 year old son xxxx

I can so relate to everything you have said!

saoutchik 02-27-2016 11:51 AM

Agreed, great post ICDB

I installed a new light on my balcony - no big deal but if I was drinking it would still be in the box

amyrose 02-27-2016 12:05 PM

Great post. This is my first day here, and my 12th day sober. So today, instead of cramming in errands so I could get home and start drinking, I went to the gym for the second Saturday in a row and will get a massage. Feels weird, but great!!

BBQBOY 02-27-2016 12:05 PM

I went to my daughters swim meet and actually sat with the other "swim parents". If I was drinking, I still would have been there....but sitting by myself for fear that someone would smell the booze. They must be wondering why all of the sudden I've become so social!! LOL

sugarbear1 02-27-2016 12:27 PM

painted my nails with no mistakes. seems without rushing or shaking I can take care of self....seems petty, but honestly it's not.

ICanDoBetter 02-27-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by amyrose (Post 5820147)
Great post. This is my first day here, and my 12th day sober. So today, instead of cramming in errands so I could get home and start drinking, I went to the gym for the second Saturday in a row and will get a massage. Feels weird, but great!!

I can completely relate regarding the errands. That was me as well.

ICanDoBetter 02-27-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BBQBOY (Post 5820150)
I went to my daughters swim meet and actually sat with the other "swim parents". If I was drinking, I still would have been there....but sitting by myself for fear that someone would smell the booze. They must be wondering why all of the sudden I've become so social!! LOL

love this :-)

ICanDoBetter 02-27-2016 12:41 PM

:You_Rock_

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5820108)
Really beautiful post ICDB made my heart really warm

ICanDoBetter 02-27-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 (Post 5820183)
painted my nails with no mistakes. seems without rushing or shaking I can take care of self....seems petty, but honestly it's not.

Not petty! That's great!

least 02-27-2016 12:43 PM

Now that I'm sober I can walk my dogs and really enjoy it. :)

Delizadee 02-27-2016 12:57 PM

Well I am driving out to my farm this evening to drop my little one off with her dad. It's nice now I don't have to worry anymore about whether or not I've had too much to drink to drive or if I'm going to be able to handle withdrawals while driving. good lord, I am so glad I am over that. It's nice to just hop in my vehicle and zoom around.

And I've started doing my hair and makeup properly every day. I'm happy not to be house-bound or isolating because of my drunkenness. Gonna hit up a meeting tonight.

nova84 02-27-2016 01:57 PM

Glad to hear all the great sober things people have been getting up to today. This evening my fiancé and I went for dinner in a burger bar and then went to a coffee shop...green tea, waffles and chatting in a relaxed environment. ..sooooo much nicer than being in a bar surrounded by loud drunkenness. Coffee shop on a Saturday night...would never have been the case previously...so glad it is now xxx

amyrose 02-27-2016 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by nova84 (Post 5820377)
Glad to hear all the great sober things people have been getting up to today. This evening my fiancé and I went for dinner in a burger bar and then went to a coffee shop...green tea, waffles and chatting in a relaxed environment. ..sooooo much nicer than being in a bar surrounded by loud drunkenness. Coffee shop on a Saturday night...would never have been the case previously...so glad it is now xxx

This was me - joking that no one would want to be at a coffee shop on a Saturday night. So many new things to experience!:You_Rock_

SweatyHands 02-27-2016 05:36 PM

First, I completed my entire list of house cleaning before dinner. Second, I can actually go to pick up the take-out Thai food tonight.

Auggie 02-27-2016 05:43 PM

I was able to help a neighbor by taking her dog on 2 walks today. When I was drinking I would have done it but the walks would have been much shorter and who knows if I would have remembered the treats. I would have short-changed us both a beautiful walk on a beautiful day.

Dee74 02-27-2016 05:46 PM

good for you ICDB - have a good night :)

D

Lovesunrises 02-27-2016 05:51 PM

Lets see...I worked in my yard, got my hair done, went grocery shopping, went to get a get well gift for my neighbor who just had surgery, walked my dogs, and did laundry. Now, if I was drinking, not only would I have done NONE of the above things, I would have probably drank 2 bottles of wine by now and would likely be passed out already. Its a shame to think how many Saturdays I wasted that way.