Notices

Sweet sixteen

Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweet sixteen

Today is day 16... Just completed a great morning workout and am ready for the busy workday ahead.

Yesterday as I thought about how gradually I'm genuinely feeling happier, it occurred to me that now that I've quit drinking perhaps in actually giving the the anti-depressants that I've taken for several years a chance to work. I'm a little genetically predisposed to moodiness and I'm a woman which means hormone swings abound. Couple those things with certain of life's stressors and ultimately I finally accepted that I needed some medical help. I've been taking them for a few years and eventually my doc and I agreed that I may just be one of those people who needs it to permanently balance out. We also had to increase my dosage several months ago.

But I never told my doctor about my drinking. I was too ashamed, embarrassed, etc. he has been my doctor for 25 years. He knows my entire family, parents, siblings, spouse, kids . I always knew I should tell him and I know damn well that alcohol and anti-depressants don't mix. But I never said a word.

Now that I've had this revelation, I'm wondering if over time I may be able to reduce the dose (with his guidance - and after I finally fess up about the former drinking) or eventually quit taking them. I had simply accepted that I would need them forever to be balanced because I never wanted to face addressing what may be part of the root cause. Realizing that perhaps I can improve and not need them feels great and gives a new goal and something to turn back to.

Happy Thursday all!

And, in what has been my version of Carol Burnett's ear tug, today I will not drink. :-)
Old 02-25-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats ICDB
Old 02-25-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Nice going on 16 days!

When I told my doctor about my binge drinking, his immediate reaction was to offer me an antidepressant since I was "self-medicating anyway", but I refused. I've tried them before but always knew in my gut that they weren't a solution for me. I knew I needed to stop drinking and then either accept or change the things in my life I was unhappy about.

Recently I've read some interesting articles online about how many women have been given antidepressants for what is just their natural moodiness. (I do realize that some people really do need them)

I think it's great that you plan to discuss this with your doctor. You'll know better in time whether you really do need them or not.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madbird View Post
Nice going on 16 days! When I told my doctor about my binge drinking, his immediate reaction was to offer me an antidepressant since I was "self-medicating anyway", but I refused. I've tried them before but always knew in my gut that they weren't a solution for me. I knew I needed to stop drinking and then either accept or change the things in my life I was unhappy about. Recently I've read some interesting articles online about how many women have been given antidepressants for what is just their natural moodiness. (I do realize that some people really do need them) I think it's great that you plan to discuss this with your doctor. You'll know better in time whether you really do need them or not.
It took me a long time and a lot of heartache to accept I needed medical help for bouts of depression. I couldn't get around feeling it was a crutch I shouldn't need. The first time led to one signature away from divorce. The second was post party's depression. This round has been dunce just after my mother's cancer diagnosis, which came after we had a house fire. I thought I was coping well with it all til I had a mini stroke despite meeting none of the physical characteristics. I decided I needed to get on track - found exercise and restarted the meds. I believe the seasons effect my mood as well.

But - now I have a newfound hope to learn to walk again, without the crutch that I've accepted needing for a while. :-)
Old 02-25-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you're feeling better and that you are open to either getting off the antidepressants or continuing them indefinitely. My depression began in my late teens and I managed to hobble along for years and years. I didn't drink at all then. Finally, in my mid-forties, I turned to alcohol to self-medicate. I had to get my depression treated properly before I could stop drinking. I will likely never stop taking the medication because for me it simply and plainly levels the playing field. I have a chance. I will never go back down to that dark place again.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna I've accepted I'm going to be on anti-depressants and other meds probably for life.
I'm not aghast at that idea anymore.

Ask your Dr about changing your dose ICDB.

Congrats on 16 days