Notices

First *sober* request for help

Old 02-11-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Mike! Glad to see you back and posting sober. Sending you all the good vibes and positivity I can to keep you on the right track. Keep it up!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks again all!

Add insomnia to my withdrawal symptoms. Went to bed, couldn't sleep, so I got out of bed to have a look here. It calms me.

I do think it's best to get back to bed though. Somewhere in a thread, one of the things someone suggested (sorry my brain is to fuzzy still to remember who said what) meditation. Just now I figured I might as well go to bed and meditate if I can't sleep.

So, back to bed. Day 3 tomorrow. Yay!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yay, Mike! I know that the cravings are intense right now, but they do die down. I've found distracting myself/changing my routine to be the best remedy. I look forward to reading and/or watching a show in the evening now, knowing I will remember it the next day! I drank a lot of tea at first -- started that in rehab, they had all these amazing teas. Now I'm eating way too much ice cream, lol. I've been sober almost 4 months and I still get cravings but they aren't as bad. I don't go to AA because it makes me think about drinking even more. I'd rather get lost in a good book. But do whatever works for YOU! :-)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The insomnia is a bugger. It will pass.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Mike, I posted this a while ago, but not many seemed to notice that it was earth-shattering news. Scientists have found that motor neurons can actually initiate signals to muscles. That is, your hand can pick up a drink without your mind knowing it.

This is especially important to remember if you are in a sleep-deprived state suffering alcohol cravings. It is very easy for your body to "go through the motions" and next thing you know you're drinking again.

Because we are powerless over alcohol, we need help quitting drinking. I hope you are finding the help you need.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Mike, I posted this a while ago, but not many seemed to notice that it was earth-shattering news. Scientists have found that motor neurons can actually initiate signals to muscles. That is, your hand can pick up a drink without your mind knowing it.

This is especially important to remember if you are in a sleep-deprived state suffering alcohol cravings. It is very easy for your body to "go through the motions" and next thing you know you're drinking again.

Because we are powerless over alcohol, we need help quitting drinking. I hope you are finding the help you need.
That is fascinating. Do you happen to have the article still?

Anyway, I'm going to watch part of the second documentary ZeldaFan posted and then try to sleep again.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That is fascinating. Do you happen to have the article still?
The article is titled, "Motor neurons control locomotor circuit function retrogradely through gap junctions," by J. Song et al. It was published online by Nature, and I read about in their January 14, 2016 print issue.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The article is titled, "Motor neurons control locomotor circuit function retrogradely through gap junctions," by J. Song et al. It was published online by Nature, and I read about in their January 14, 2016 print issue.
Thank you! I'm fascinated by topics like that!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today Mike?
One thing that has helped me in the past is to time my cravings.
I would note "ok, it gets really bad starting at 16:30, but at about 20:00 the worst has passed and if I've made it to 20:00 I can sort of feel in the clear"
Or for random cravings during the day I would time them on a watch and note that they lasted 12-15 minutes of really bad, am I going to drink or not drink?" Then the next time it happened I could start timing and keep holding out for the minutes to pass.
I also found a big glass of fruit juice or a fresh piece of fruit helped enormously. Really and truly.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The neuroscience book Incognito has a some content similar to this, as well.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
How are you feeling today Mike?
One thing that has helped me in the past is to time my cravings.
I would note "ok, it gets really bad starting at 16:30, but at about 20:00 the worst has passed and if I've made it to 20:00 I can sort of feel in the clear"
Or for random cravings during the day I would time them on a watch and note that they lasted 12-15 minutes of really bad, am I going to drink or not drink?" Then the next time it happened I could start timing and keep holding out for the minutes to pass.
I also found a big glass of fruit juice or a fresh piece of fruit helped enormously. Really and truly.
I'm feeling pretty good, despite the withdrawals. The fact that I'm sober feels great!

Your advice is great btw, because it's true. The cravings will go away. You just have to wait. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

In early recovery it is very important to under no circumstance pick up that drink or drug. As long as you don't pick and trybto do the right things younwill be moving forward. Just teybto make it through the rest of the day sober.