Notices

First *sober* request for help

Old 02-11-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Accepting that it is there and knowing that it is just a feeling that will pass is definitely important. But that's not the only thing you can do to deal with it, far from it.

From an immediate ( today ) standpoint you could do a lot of things. As someone suggested, going to an AA meeting would be a good choice. You could also seek help from an outpatient or inpatient rehab/detox facility. Or you could call an alcohol/drug counselor. Or see your doctor. The physical withdrawal stage is short but intense...make sure you have the help you need.

From a long term view, cravings come from a far deeper place than simply the physical need to drink alcohol. As an addict we view ( incorrectly ) alcohol as an escape mechanism from our daily responsibilities. Life presents us with challenges each and every day and that will never change. A long term sobriety plan is really a life plan - it teaches us healthy ways to face the challenges we face and to actually face them, rather than running and hiding in a bottle or beer can.
Excellent information, in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sweets

Sweets-chocolate, jelly beans, etc. help with my cravings. I'll deal with the sugar issue after I'm done with the alcohol issue. You can't get a DUI on gum drops.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KDBnSLC View Post
Sweets-chocolate, jelly beans, etc. help with my cravings. I'll deal with the sugar issue after I'm done with the alcohol issue. You can't get a DUI on gum drops.
For some reason I crave whole grain bread with cheese. No clue why, but at least I can eat and drink again.

Time to get a sandwich and a couple of glasses of water...
Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Funny thing. I just looked back at this thread, only to realize that the craving has already been gone for a while. I just distracted myself and did some useful things. I'm watching a documentary ZeldaFan posted. I've been getting something to eat and am making sure I'm getting enough water. Did some house cleaning. Read some stuff on here.

And somewhere in being busy, the craving went away and I didn't even notice. The only thing I notice now is a great deal of fatigue. And I've had a taste of what it's like to sleep sober, and I'm looking forward to that A LOT.

So I'm going to do some stuff and go to bed early. Btw, normally I would already have been drinking again. A lot. I'd probably go through 4 sixpacks and collapse into bed and not remember much.

How could I have lived like that?

Thanks everyone, your advice is very helpful!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After the initial discomfort, I think you'll like living sober. I sure do.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sleeping sober is awesome. I wake intermittently, but it's so much better than drunk sleep.

I don't think you sleep properly when drunk. Just pass out. And wake up feeling unrefreshed and awful.

I don't miss that.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sometime I result to a little shock therapy. Just google alcoholic documentary and the first hit is such a sad tale. That helps give me some resolve that I am doing the right thing.
Pulling for you!! Pulling for all of us!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For the first days of quitting smoking and drinking (beer is my DOC, too), here are things that were helpful to me:
  • Naps
  • Certain game apps like Tetris (ones you have to keep playing throug and get more intense)
  • Drinking lots of other stuff (beer and thirst-quenching are tied closely for me)
  • Watching vids like you are
  • Urge surfing/crave observation
  • Mindfulness breathing and grounding exercises (and Tich Nat Hahn sp?) has some stuff on acknowledging and being present with the suffering of your organs (was mroe useful with lung and heart for smoking but also good when I quit drinking)
  • Mentally running through all the sucky minor and major ways drinking was affecting my life
  • Playing the tape through a while
  • Reading addiction/withdrawl symptom/science stuff
  • Reading generall threads in SR but especially the ones experiences immediately after quitting)
  • Having snacks and food at the ready (to fufill hunger and not get caught up in non-booze cravings)
  • Naps (really - if craving, just going to bed helps reset)
  • Fiction books, movies
  • Spending time with sober people (AV loves isolation and secrecy)
  • Going to the movies

Now, I didn't have physical dependency or really hard issues with not accessing booze. If I did I would make obtaining it harder. That would include clearing alcohol from house, getting my debit/credit cards out of access or out of quick access, potentially handing my car keys and license over to a trusted person for a few days... and if I could get beer delivered here, I'd clear payment info from account, delete the number from my phone, and make a firm decision not use the service for the time being).
Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back and sober, Mike.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA is certainly an option, but I'm a little paranoid about people seeing me go there. But in the end, sobriety is more important.

People do not go to AA meetings because they have nothing else to do. They are there to stay sober just like the rest of us
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

AA is certainly an option, but I'm a little paranoid about people seeing me go there.
but no problem if people see you sloppy drunk makin a fool of yourself?
a problem with people seeing you going to get help with the drinking problem they know you have?

are you lookin for the easiest,softest way or are you going to look for what works?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife and I both quit drinking three years ago. We did ninety AA meetings in ninety days, and it gave our sobriety a solid foundation. I still go to AA meetings and post here at SoberRecovery, but my wife seems to have moved on with her recovery.

There is probably an AA meeting soon near you.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldSkoolFool View Post
Sometime I result to a little shock therapy. Just google alcoholic documentary and the first hit is such a sad tale. That helps give me some resolve that I am doing the right thing.
Pulling for you!! Pulling for all of us!!!
You mean the one about Ryan, right? I've seen that one. Got choked up at the end. Such a nice guy. Young. It's a tough one to watch.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

It's good to see you working on making the change Mike.

One thing to consider with making your plan. In another thread you mentioned about being from a well off family. You didn't mention if you work, if you don't, you may want to consider volunteering somewhere. Helping others may be very therapeutic.

Take care of yourself.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
but no problem if people see you sloppy drunk makin a fool of yourself?
a problem with people seeing you going to get help with the drinking problem they know you have?

are you lookin for the easiest,softest way or are you going to look for what works?
I never left the house much since I didn't want people to see me drunk. So I avoided contact. Going to AA feels very public to me. Like everyone knows that where I'm going is a meeting.

But no, there is no easy, soft way so AA remains an option. At this point I don't even really care that much anymore if someone spotted me there. It's none of their business.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
It's good to see you working on making the change Mike.

One thing to consider with making your plan. In another thread you mentioned about being from a well off family. You didn't mention if you work, if you don't, you may want to consider volunteering somewhere. Helping others may be very therapeutic.

Take care of yourself.
I don't work and volunteering is actually on my list of things I would like to do. I would love to help others!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The withdrawals are starting I notice. Sweating, cold chills, nausea, fatigue, headache. Ah well, it's just a phase. But I am going to bed right now and take some time to rest and recover.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

All good stuff Mike. Just remember, those withdrawal feelings you are experiencing were caused by the beer, so try your hardest to fight through them. They will pass, and you're going to feel great. Guaranteed.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Mike, probably uncomfortable yes, but if you see people at AA that you know, it would probably be a great thing. No denying it anymore. Multiple people to hold you accountable and you wouldn't drink around them. My wife found the journal I kept emphasizing my self loathing of drinking and since then, I have a person to not drink around. Makes it easy since she will no longer offer me drinks. Just a thought. Good luck
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
AA is certainly an option, but I'm a little paranoid about people seeing me go there. But in the end, sobriety is more important.

People do not go to AA meetings because they have nothing else to do. They are there to stay sober just like the rest of us
I was worried about going to AA too. Someone from a meeting put it this way "I was never worried about people seeing me fall off my bar stool. I was an obvious drunk for so many years. Now, suddenly, I'm very concerned with being an "anonymous" drunk!" Made me chuckle!