Notices

Hello! New to the forum and loving it!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello! New to the forum and loving it!!!

Hi,
I'm starting day 6 of sobriety. It's been over three years since I can say that I was sober for more than a day.
This year I decided to make choices to make my life better for both myself and my loved ones.
Read Allen Carr's book and it had a profound impact on me. Supplementing the method with AA meetings and eating right and exercise.
I am optimistic to what the new future holds for me instead of the bleak sign posts that I was seeing along my previous path.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a smart decision to get sober. I got sober over six years ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you least.
It just got to the point where it was seriously damaging my life and plans for the future.
One of the sign posts was every day when I got in my car and was heading home, I was thinking to myself. I can't wait to get home and have that drink. I'd rationalize that with all the BS excuses (****** day, problems with relationships, it was a day that ended in "Y"). It just became too much and I had enough.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, OldSkoolFool. Congrats on day 6!

You should join us in the Class of February 2016 thread here. It's nice to be able to talk with others who are early in their recovery.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome OldSkoolFool nice to meet you
Old 02-11-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldSkoolFool View Post
I am optimistic to what the new future holds for me instead of the bleak sign posts that I was seeing along my previous path.
Bleak sign posts. I like that. How many bleak sign posts have we all passed over the years and yet, still we continued on the same road?

It's nice to have finally chosen a different path, isn't it?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the love everyone!

Yes firstymer, I feel like I was racing down a road with all sorts of signs saying WARNING BRIDGE OUT AHEAD! and I just kept racing down it.

Here's one for example... We would go out to eat after my sons game or my daughters horse show and I would always conveniently push everyone to go eat where there was a full bar so I could get my toxic poison fix. Beer and Wine were never good enough... I had to have either a Martini or a Manhattan (usually 3).

Grim...
Old 02-11-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, OldSkoolFool. It's a great place to be for support. I was a daily drinker and couldn't wait until the end of the day. I'd start on my train ride home. Such a relief to know I'm not a slave to the bottle anymore. Congrats on day 6! Keep up the good work.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum OldSkoolFool!!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard OSF
Old 02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done OSF--glad to have you aboard
Old 02-12-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Oldskoolfool! I like your username.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi OldSkoolFool
Old 02-12-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad to have you with us, OldSkool. This place helped me grow strong. You're never alone. Congrats on your 7th day.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here Oldskoolfool!! Great decision to move forward in life, leaving the drink behind!!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Osf,

Glad u are on a better path. We were both in death spirals.

Moderation is a prison for us drunks. 3 drinks were a tease for me...

I remember getting home from work knowing I had to pick up my son at school and take him to baseball practice.

I would drink measured shots of booze. Enough to get a buzz, but not enough to get me a dui....Ya right...lucky I never got caught...

Then at practice, a few more measured shots from a water bottle with booze in it......lucky again...

On a work night that would have to be it...tortuous...used sleeping pills to stop the drinking for the night...pathetic...

but on fri. Or sat. It was 10 or 20 shots once I got home...hammer time...usually about 300 to 500ml in about 6 hours or so...hard core..

Binge drink...

Then stuff my face w anything good to eat..

Wake up so wrecked. The usual issues....high bp...sleep apnea...etc etc...stroke waiting to happen...

no healthy activity...just the desire to start drinking again....I would be winded from going up the stairs...

On 3 day weekends..like this one...I would be wrecked....come work time on Tuesday morning...I was a detox mess...

In the end....I would stay sober for a few days, sometimes 10..maybe 14...one time 27....but then the cycle would start again...

Glad to be free of that...

9 months into my new life...that is a long time for a drunk to be sober...

Going through life drunk is sad. Proud to be sober. After hard binge drinking since I was a kid...another long story....life without being drunk is mostly awesome....

But, i still crave...I roll the tape... remember the past... thank God for my current state of recovery....appreciate all the good things I have...especially now that I am clean...

Now I work out 4 to 5 days a week. Nothing too crazy...but still
Lost 30 pounds. I look like a new man. I am present w my family. I dont get really mad any more. Feels great.

But mostly, it is good to be free of the burden of the booze.

The crave lurks. It is there tempting. But, I fight it. I fight it w SR. I also have AA. I haven't been to a meeting in a while. I am due.

Anyway...this post belongs to you. It was therapy for me, but I hope it will help you in some way.

Btw...this is pretty much what I've heard at the few AA meetings I have been to. It goes around the room...story after story..

Now really that is all...
Old 02-12-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! Day 6 is great!
Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Osf,

Glad u are on a better path. We were both in desth spirals.

Moderation is a prison for us drunks. 3 drinks were a tease for me...

I remember getting home from work knowing I had to pick up my son at school and take him to baseball practice.

I would drink measured shots of booze. Enough to get a buzz, but not enough to get me a dui....Ya right...lucky I never got caught...

Then at practice, a few more measured shots from a water bottle with booze in it......lucky again...

On a work night that would have to be it...tortuous...used sleeping pills to stop the drinking for the night...pathetic...

but on fri. Or sat. It was 10 or 20 shots once I got home...hammer time...usually about 300 to 500ml in about 6 hours or so...hard core..

Binge drink...

Then stuff my face w anything good to eat..

Wake up so wrecked. The usual issues....high bp...sleep apnea...etc etc...stroke waiting to happen...

no healthy activity...just the desire to start drinking again....I would be winded from going up the stairs...

On 3 day weekends..like this one...I would be wrecked....come work time on Tuesday morning...I was a detox mess...

In the end....I would stay sober for a few days, sometimes 10..maybe 14...one time 27....but then the cycle would start again...

Glad to be free of that...

Working towards a lifetime of sobriety.

9 months into my new life...that is a long time for a drunk to be sober...

Feels different. But, in the right way.

Going through life drunk is sad. Proud to be sober. After hard binge drinking since I was a kid...another long story....life without being drunk is mostly awesome....

But, i still crave...I roll the tape... remember the past... thank God for my current state of recovery....appreciate all the good thins I have...especially now that I am clean...

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.

Now I work out 4 to 5 days a week. Nothing to crazy...but still
Lost 30 pounds. I look like a new man. I am present w my family. I dont get really mad any more. Feels great.

But mostly, it is good to be free of the burden of the booze.

The crave lurks. It is there tempting me. But, I fight it. I fight it w SR. I also have AA. I haven't been to a meeting in a while. I am due.

Anyway...this post belongs to you. It was therapy for me, but I hope it will help you in some way.