Notices

Done with it

Old 02-10-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Glad you poured it out Mike.

We are here to help you any way we can. Just please ask for help before, not after, if you ever feel like you need to drink again.

Best wishes.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I know that in my first post of this thread I said I wasn't even that hung over. Well, that started after that. I have rarely been this hung over. This is day 2 and I just woke up! There were a couple of short periods where I was awake, feelings horrible and so damn terrified. I think the anxiety I get during hangovers is even worse than the feeling sick.

So this is day 2, heading towards 3 pm over here. And I got out of bed I think about an hour ago. Very hungry, and very thirsty. I couldn't keep anything down so even the small amounts of water I tried to drink came back out right away.

Now I've eaten a bit and am making sure to rehydrate. I can tolerate small amounts of water now.

Fortunately, most of the feeling sick is gone, but I'm still feeling it. This was an extra wake-up call.

And this time I will give Dee's thread about a plan an extra good read and will get to work staying sober. My track-record regarding staying sober is not good, I know that. I know I'm vulnerable to it. So I really need to work really hard. It's just the way it is, but since the messages on here are actually getting through to me now, I see that they help a lot.

One thing that occurred to me was that I need to grow up. I'm 34 but still feel like I'm 23. That's all fine, but the parts of that that are holding me back need to change.

Time to start my sober life.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Vulnerability is our most accurate measurement of courage - Brené Brown
Old 02-11-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Try pedialytle (if you are in the US- it might be called something different elsewhere) but it is a childs re hydration drink. It is key for getting electrolytes and sodium back into your system in a very easy to digest way. It doesnt have as much sugar as Gatorade.

I would drink 2 of those litre bottles a day in early sobriety when I was feeling dehydrated. Trust me it makes a world of difference and is better than water. Go get some. Pound two of those today and two more tomorrow, then see how you feel. Hydration is key here.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Try pedialytle (if you are in the US- it might be called something different elsewhere) but it is a childs re hydration drink. It is key for getting electrolytes and sodium back into your system in a very easy to digest way. It doesnt have as much sugar as Gatorade.

I would drink 2 of those litre bottles a day in early sobriety when I was feeling dehydrated. Trust me it makes a world of difference and is better than water. Go get some. Pound two of those today and two more tomorrow, then see how you feel. Hydration is key here.
Thanks. I'm not in the US, but we have similar drinks. Actually, I was planning to get some ORS tablets from the pharmacy. I've detoxed before and heavy sweating is part of that for me. I actually asked my doctor about it back then and he recommended ORS. I can make it myself but I'd rather spend some money on the real thing to be safe.

The sweating is starting but the pharmacy is closed unfortunately. So for tonight I'm making sure I take some sugar and a little bit of salt with my water. Tomorrow I'll get a bunch of ORS tabs.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Thanks. I'm not in the US, but we have similar drinks. Actually, I was planning to get some ORS tablets from the pharmacy. I've detoxed before and heavy sweating is part of that for me. I actually asked my doctor about it back then and he recommended ORS. I can make it myself but I'd rather spend some money on the real thing to be safe.

The sweating is starting but the pharmacy is closed unfortunately. So for tonight I'm making sure I take some sugar and a little bit of salt with my water. Tomorrow I'll get a bunch of ORS tabs.
Id pick up a few bottles of whatever you have as pedialyte too. You cant be too prepared! But Im glad you are calling it quits. Trick is to stay hydrated, and get outside so your depression gets a little better. Sunlight helps depression dont you know!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

FYI, I agree 100% with JRyan, Gatorade is good, but pedialyte is the best. In my opinion.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
FYI, I agree 100% with JRyan, Gatorade is good, but pedialyte is the best. In my opinion.
Gatorade is just so darn sugary. I use to down Gatorade like there was no tomorrow. Now, if I even do drink it, I have to cut it with water.

But yeah I swear my withdrawal was not so bad because I kept myself super hydrated.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Since the sweating turned out to be not that bad, I went with a lot of water and green tea. And that's really helping. I can't believe how dehydrated I was. my last binge lasted for 33 hours and I only drank beer. Then I stayed in bed until the afternoon of day 2. I tried to eat and drink some water a few times but couldn't keep it down.

Once I could keep down water again, I drank a lot of it. And I kept being thirsty. And although I drank so much water, I hardly had to go to the bathroom.

Today it feels back to normal. I ate well. Pasta with salmon (yum!). I still crave a lot of bread with cheese but it feels good to give in to that. And I've kept hydrating myself.

But looking back, I do think it would have gotten dangerous had I not had any intake for a few days longer.

Anyway, I'm feeling fine and energized now! Except for the withdrawals, which are the reason I'm off to bed in a short while. Even though it's 7:23 pm over here... I need the rest and am taking it!

I'm beginning to enjoy this sober life. It's so much better already!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great
Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes think about it. You are supposed to drink AT LEAST 64 oz of water a day. I bet you had NONE for 48 hours (your 33 hours binge plus your 15 plus hours in bed). Your body without alcohol would have needed 128 oz of water during that time. But since alcohol is diuretic you would have needed about twice that.

Its pretty nuts when you start adding it up that during 48 hours you should have been probably drinking about 100 oz of water. So yes super dehydrated!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Gatorade is just so darn sugary. I use to down Gatorade like there was no tomorrow. Now, if I even do drink it, I have to cut it with water.

But yeah I swear my withdrawal was not so bad because I kept myself super hydrated.
Definately. I wrestled and competed in bodybuilding in the 90's and always had to make weight, I always re-hydrated with pedilyte, its a far superior product. Gatorade is sports drink, and honestly because of all the sugar, like you said, makes me thirsty.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Keep on keepin' on, Mike.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I shared this in another thread but thought it might help you too Mike.