Notices

What is wrong with me??

Old 01-28-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Question: Are you an adult or a teenager? I think you live on your own, but your thought and behavioral patterns are not those of an adult.

If you're a minor, that changes the whole conversation. I've been following your posts as if you were an adult.

If you're an adult, I believe the only "help" for you would be for you to turn over all control of your treatment to someone else. You're not committed or cooperative. If you're an adult, I predict you'll walk right out the front door of rehab after about three hours. Out of respect for your parents, make sure they understand that risk.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
Question: Are you an adult or a teenager? I think you live on your own, but your thought and behavioral patterns are not those of an adult.

If you're a minor, that changes the whole conversation. I've been following your posts as if you were an adult.

If you're an adult, I believe the only "help" for you would be for you to turn over all control of your treatment to someone else. You're not committed or cooperative. If you're an adult, I predict you'll walk right out the front door of rehab after about three hours. Out of respect for your parents, make sure they understand that risk.
I'm 34.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Update: my parents couldn't stop me drinking or going back to my place. So that's what I'm doing, drinking at my place. I would go on tomorrow, but they've actually found a treatment plan for me. Somewhere in my country, with the added help of a hypnotherapist.

So tomorrow I will actually go there. It's a good perspective, though my mind hates the idea of not being able to drink as well.

Hope to come back better.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
mike, earlier post you mentioned your brother coming to stay with you (2:46am)...it seemed not five minutes later you said that won't work and you were off to your parents (3:31am). now you have "snuck out" and are drinking again (9:37am).

you post here about heading off to bed and then two hours later post about being drunk again. and yet you write from each of these "states" quite lucidly and coherently. i know for myself when black out drunk i can barely get my LIPS to form words, much less be able to manipulate a computer and keyboard in any way that doesn't resemble dkjfiehbhbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa.

so what gives?
Different time zone and my day and night pattern is disturbed.

About writing coherently. It's just something I can do. I can be extremely drunk and make people wonder if I maybe had a drink or two. Same with writing. It comes easy to me.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You will come back better if you work towards getting better.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
Mike

You have to decide that you want to be sober more than you want to be drunk. Until you make that decision no program is going to keep you sober.
If you want to focus on Eminem lyrics try:
"Not Afraid"

[Chorus:]
I'm not afraid (I'm not afraid)
To take a stand (to take a stand)
Everybody (everybody)
Come take my hand (come take my hand)
We'll walk this road together, through the storm
Whatever weather, cold or warm
Just letting you know that you're not alone
Holler if you feel like you've been down the same road (same road)

[Intro (during Chorus):]
Yeah, it's been a ride
I guess I had to, go to that place, to get to this one
Now some of you, might still be in that place
If you're trying to get out, just follow me
I'll get you there

I love that song. I know that Eminem successfully came back from heavy addiction and an (accidental) overdose. Today, I imagined that song being my song for celebrating sobriety.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
What's wrong with you? You're addicted to alcohol and it's messing up your head so that it can keep an extremely firm grasp on your nether regions. And it's winning.

You're its slave. You have all this rebelliousness inside you...maybe try directing it toward booze?

P.S. You know Eminem has been sucessfully sober for several years, right?
I know, he's one of my inspirations.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Parents have been the saviour of many an addict.

May I ask how old you are Mike?
I'm 34.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I don't know what's wrong with you, but when I drank I got drunk and that's what was wrong with me.

When we are on the upside down part of a bottle or six pack it's hard to imagine change is possible. Mike, look around - there are many, many examples of people just like all of us that indeed find a way out. A lot of them start with rehab.

You're fortunate to have parents that care
Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I wonder why you tend to almost always post when you are drinking rather than posting and asking for help before you start. Why do you think that is?
I was thinking about Mike earlier today, and wondering this very thing.

Mike, you drink, then come on here and post asking for help. We try to help you, and you go away. Then you come back again after you start drinking. We can't help you until you are really ready to stop. You say you want to stop, but your actions say otherwise. Try posting before you start drinking, and maybe we can help you.

I hope you find the help you need.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Update: my parents couldn't stop me drinking or going back to my place. So that's what I'm doing, drinking at my place. I would go on tomorrow, but they've actually found a treatment plan for me. Somewhere in my country, with the added help of a hypnotherapist.

So tomorrow I will actually go there. It's a good perspective, though my mind hates the idea of not being able to drink as well.

I hope you come back better too Mike. It will take more than hope though....if you don't want to get sober no treatment plan will work. It's not uncommon for people to literally walk out the door of rehab and in the door of a liquor store and start drinking immediately.

I don't say that to discourage you from seeking treatment, but your attitude seems to be that you aren't going because you want to, more that you are going because someone is making you go. That's also not uncommon, it's happened to many of us. But you have to want to get better and do the work to get better, rehab isn't some magic place where you just sit there and get magically cured. It will involve meetings, therapy, group work and lots of other things that might not be considered "fun". It does work though if you let it...and I hope you can.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

One thing that you will have to accept to remain sober is that you will never be a normal drinker.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
One thing that you will have to accept to remain sober is that you will never be a normal drinker.
True and I will have to work on that.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I hope you come back better too Mike. It will take more than hope though....if you don't want to get sober no treatment plan will work. It's not uncommon for people to literally walk out the door of rehab and in the door of a liquor store and start drinking immediately.

I don't say that to discourage you from seeking treatment, but your attitude seems to be that you aren't going because you want to, more that you are going because someone is making you go. That's also not uncommon, it's happened to many of us. But you have to want to get better and do the work to get better, rehab isn't some magic place where you just sit there and get magically cured. It will involve meetings, therapy, group work and lots of other things that might not be considered "fun". It does work though if you let it...and I hope you can.
I do want to go. I got help and a part of me doesn't want to go to treatment, but the majority of me can't wait. Craves it. I've tried so much. So hard. So often. And I failed. Which created a bit of a not caring anymore part in me. But that part is small. Mainly I want to get sober and get better. I really do.

One of the reasons I keep sabotaging myself is because I feel like I don't deserve happiness and that I deserve to be a miserable drunk. Which I hope will be addressed in the sessions.

There's a lot of conflict in me.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vanaprastha View Post
I was thinking about Mike earlier today, and wondering this very thing.

Mike, you drink, then come on here and post asking for help. We try to help you, and you go away. Then you come back again after you start drinking. We can't help you until you are really ready to stop. You say you want to stop, but your actions say otherwise. Try posting before you start drinking, and maybe we can help you.

I hope you find the help you need.
When I haven't drunk yet, I see no reason to post. Then, when I'm starting to get drunk, part of me goes: "Oh ****! This is a huge problem! I need help with this!". So I post.

Hope that explains it.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Just so y'all know, I never take any help for granted. I might disappear because I'm blacked out drunk. But even while drunk, all your words are having an effect.

For example, normally if I knew that I was going to treatment tomorrow and I couldn't drink anymore, I'd drink a whole lot right now because it would be the last time. But now I'm slowing down. Focusing on going to bed. I'm still drinking a lot, but a lot less than usual. And part of me is looking forward to tomorrow.

That is a direct result of your help. Thank you.

I don't know if I'll choose to crawl into bed now, it does seem appealing. Should I do so, I will report back after the treatment.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Hope that explains it.
That maybe explains the first or second time, but I'd think you would learn that it wasn't working and post sooner (see a reason to post before you started drinking). But I am not you.

Good luck with rehab. I really hope it works for you.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Go to bed Mike. That's the best thing you can do for yourself right now.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

To bed with you...why not start tomorrow without a horrible hangover?

As for the self-loathing...it's a side effect IMO. Like pot make people paranoid and benzos stop up intestines...it's biochemistry at work.

You don't have to hate yourself.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

All the best to you, Mike.

Give rehab all you have and then some.