Notices

Restless irritable and discontent

Old 01-25-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all today I woke up in a irritated mood I have 26 days and right now I wish I could have a cold beer. Im not going to lie sometimes I miss drinking it wasnt all bad me an alcohol did have some good times but I have to keep in mind the bad times its funny how I remember the good times so much easily than the bad. I know its not the second third or fourth its the first thats the killer. Its crazy what I know but still want to sleep with the enemy alcohol.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hear you. I'm on day 21, and I feel like punching everyone right in the face. I keep telling myself that my frustration with the world is not permanent.

Remember, we've all spent so much time numbing ourselves from our emotions. It's going to take time, and trial and error as I'm coming to learn, to achieve balance.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Restless, irritable and discontent

The bane of early recovery and the instigators of many a relapse. Stay strong.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recall that around the end of the third week or so was among my most difficult times guys. I doubled down on my plan and made it through. The good that came out of that time was the proof to myself that those wretched emotions didn't have to end up with a beer in my hand. I harnessed that memory and have used it to my benefit during the various bumps that were to come and will still come.

This is a time of testing for you I know. Focus your angst on the AV and power through.

Wishing you success.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Brown
Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Brown, congrats on you sober time. I can relate, I am having a less than spectacular day mentally as well. No desire to drink, but not feeling motivated to do a darn thing. Pathetic. Anyway, hang in there Brown.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

These things are not caused by sobriety, rather they are the flailing and desperate attempts by our addiction to get what it wants and the start the whole cycle over again.
Go and do something interesting, help another drunk out , offer a warm word or encouragement here on SR maybe?
Sometimes what we do might not act like alcohol and blast away all emotions , good , bad , everything but there is enough in what we do to get through.

Getting through is all you need to keep on, the sobriety muscles will build and a new life will happen as long as you work at it .
A new day tomorrow , no need to rush back to booze , i remember the crazy drinking life is only a drink away. No need to rush back it aint going anywhere.

I don't know what sobriety will bring i'm willing to endure a little bit of discomfort , pain to see what will happen .

go for a swim and thrash around , go for a run , exert yourself , have a bath with bubbles and candles , eat chocolates , have some ice cream , wash your sheets so your bed is clean , tidy up , do something you've been procrastinating about .

get through , keep on

m
Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear you! Yesterday was day 23 and everything single thing about it sucked scissors...and sadly, this isn't my first rodeo, by far. I felt exactly the same way.

I finally took the dogs out for a second walk in subzero wind chills...which also sucked but at least we got some fresh air. Exceedingly fresh, actually.

But today is a much better day and it never would have been if I'd opened a bottle of wine.

Onward! We can do this!
Old 01-25-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I am on day 28 and feel pretty good. Not my first rodeo either HA HA .. I was thinking those words before I scrolled down .. I also washed my sheets and stuff yesterday .. still cleaning up beer cans behind things like under the couch and behind the dresser. I am or was a slob.

Bit by bit I am feeling better. Yes I still get on edge but I saw a doctor and am in out patient sort treatment. So that has helped.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a lot of anger and irritability too in the early days. It turned out that most of my anger was at myself for getting myself into this situation. That's where learning about patience and forgiveness came into play.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yup, angry and resentful and irritable today (day 25). Yesterday, too. I was really considering opening a bottle of wine. I didn't.
Today I am really busy around the house so that should help.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can feel like an emotional roller coaster ride. Hang on and stay sober - it gets better with time.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It will get better with time. Stick with it and ignore that AV.

Why not have a listen to Mickey B on Step 1-3 - he always gave me a good (if not wry) chuckle in the early days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXNmvDvXn4
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Brown, the third week was hard for me as well. I'm 29 days in, and I'm finally starting to feel better. I don't know what the future holds, but I have certainly felt better the last few days than I did around days 14 - 27. Hang in there. As the saying goes, "if you're going through hell, keep going." Congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Brown!!