Notices

I Wish

Old 01-24-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Wish

Over the past week or so, I have had 6 job interviews, and I was successful at one. One was unsucessful, and am waiting to hear back from the others but it doesn't matter now. This is good for me as I used to be too afraid to send out CVs. Although the pay is not good, in a few weeks when I have settled in and cobbled together enough for a deposit, I hope to look for a cheap room in a house share, so I will be out from under my mother's thumb.

“Everything has been figured out, except how to live.” – Jean-Paul Sartre
I am a thirty-something, and I’ve made my share of mistakes in my life. I’m not a big believer in regrets … and I have learned tremendously from every single mistake … and my life is not bad.

However, there are a few things I wish I had known when I was graduating from high school and starting out as an adult in life.
Would I change things? I’m not so sure. I might have made better career choices, but then I wouldn’t have all the work experience that makes me the person that I am today.

I don’t think I would change any of that. However, looking back, there are some lessons I’ve learned that I would probably tell my 18-year-old self.

Today, I spent some time with my extended family. One of my cousins has returned from travelling around the world, and has given up her job, against her parents wishes, to go to art college. My uncle recounted a funny story of how she spent a small fortune on travelling to China to spend time feeding pandas. At first I thought she was being paid to do this. But no, you pay to feed the pandas. His take on it was, of course, that she wasted money, the Chinese were laughing at her, and all the while he had sheep starving above in the field!

From her own perspective, it seems like the trip of a lifetime. Although getting up for 6 am to start the first feeding of bamboo shoots would be quite difficult, I imagine. She did tell us that they are breeding incredibly rare brown and white pandas. It was so secretive that no one was allowed to take photos.

“With realization of one’s own potential & self confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.” ~Dalai Lama
For the vast majority of my life I didn’t believe I could do most of the things I wanted to do. Maybe you’ve never been as unsure of yourself as I used to be, but you can likely relate to that feeling of wanting to do something but feeling terrified to start. This not only limits your potential in life; it also minimizes your ability to make a positive impact on the world around you.

I wish I had been willing to be judged. Don’t let fear of embarrassment stop you from trying something new. Sometimes we withhold ourselves from novelty because we’re afraid some people might call us silly or stupid. Shying away from trying something new stops your growth and your evolution. It stops you from acquiring new skills and knowledge. And life is a continuous school. Don’t miss out on opportunities to learn something enriching. If you think your new project might seem ridiculous to some people, turn those thoughts around in a funny or a disarming way, and go ahead and take the classes that interest you. And if people judge you for it, feel sorry for them, for simple minds are usually amused by simple things.
Be as weird as you are. – Don’t be afraid to provoke the status quo. Maybe some of your ideas are crazy. But crazy ideas are what shake the world. Crazy ideas make revolutions. So don’t be afraid to be different, and don’t be afraid to break traditions. Sure, some people will be frustrated and opposed to your weirdness. Some people might even criticize you. But even if it takes time for them to embrace your ideas, you’re showing them a new way of thinking. You’re planting a seed in their heads and opening their minds – and you’re opening your own mind too. The minute you understand that you can be weird and mold life your own way, you allow yourself to shake off the erroneous notion that life is just there, and that you’re just going to exist in it, rather than embrace it, change it, improve it, and truly live it.

Life is not about maintaining the status quo.

Life is not about playing it safe.

Life is not about standing still.

It’s about connecting with your soul, respecting your integrity, and telling yourself that you’re able. It’s about taking a few steps, regardless of how little they may be, so you can move forward, and evolve.

That’s why you were put here on this earth: to grow. You can be challenged, scared, and stretched to your limits, but taking action will make you feel gratified beyond belief.
And the best part is: You become more decisive, more playful, and more vigorous.
So don’t be afraid to let go of your inhibitions. Don’t be afraid to be disappointed. Don’t be afraid to get hurt.
Ask yourself about the costs and implications of not taking action. Then think of the new possibilities that could arise if you do dare to act.
Be daring and courageous!
Get moving and live it!
This is your one shot…
Take it, today!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the job - and thank you for the rest of your post.

I'm starting out (again) on the sobriety road and you have inspired me to think about everything I can do as the weeks, months, years pass
Old 01-24-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiring post, and congrats on the new job offer!
Old 01-24-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

That's fantastic news! I'm so happy for you! And your extended family has fascinating stories to share, don't they?
Old 01-25-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Tetra
Old 01-25-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

A great post Tetra - thank you. I'm so glad you got another job

D
Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Tetra.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thank you for the great post.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great stuff on the new job Tetra!!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post, Tetra. You're doing great.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and good wishes