Notices

Entering My "Danger Zone"

Old 01-25-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Entering My "Danger Zone"

I'm just past the two week mark. Many of you know my story, so I won't repeat it here. Those who don't, here are my vitals: I have a sobriety plan. I do not entertain the idea that I can return to "normal" drinking. I do not have any form of mental illness or addiction to any other substances. I am not in an abusive relationship. I am not, at this point in time, suffering from PAWS.

So, the deal is that I relapsed on my previous two attempts in 2015 just around the two- and three-week points, respectively. Both were triggered by a strong craving and some rationalizations that I could "drink normally upon occasion." You know what happened next.

So now, just the two-week mark, I'm sensitive to the fact that I'm entering what has been my danger zone in the past. This time is different in that I got professional help, have a sobriety plan, am over the idea that I can be a "normal" drinker, and I embrace sobriety as a happier lifestyle than drinking -- "normal" or otherwise. I've been exposed to alcohol and have pretty comfortably declined, and am also arranging my life to minimize such exposures.

I'd welcome suggestions and tips on what to look out for over the next few weeks. I am healthier, happier, and look forward to advancing in true recovery. The AV has been mostly silent to date.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You won't regret sticking to your plan!! Be strong
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't stress too much about the two week mark. You are in a totally different place this time as compared to your previous attempts. You have gained the tools you need to keep your plan in place and succeed. You went to great lengths to get yourself in a position to fight this disease going foward. Use you wepons!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear Sober, I think its great that you are planning ahead and are being self aware of your pattern. I really think it speaks to your character and desire to be sober. I think it sounds like you have a good plan so during this troubling time just stick to it like glue. In my addiction education I learned that on the scientific end the "failure to self diagnose" is the leading cause of relapse. This was explained as a failure to notice the upcoming signs of falling back into previous habits or mindsets. We can accidentally go back to the people, places, things, and habits that were associated with our use and easily lead us back to relapse. It can bring us back to that "maybe it will be different" thinking that gets lots of us. It sounds to me like you are really on top of your self awareness and previous patterns. Getting help, having plan, and being aware of your danger issues are great. I really wish you the best. John
Old 01-25-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've made the decision, haven't you?

So, in the next year you are going to have many thoughts of having a drink. It's going to happen. It is a habitual thought and takes time to "reprogram."

Each time the thought to drink came up for me, I returned to that ONE decision. I no longer drink.

Then I'd move on to something else.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on two weeks. My suggestion would be to keep working your plan and keep reaching out for support whether you are in immediate need or not. When I started feeling better I stopped reaching out, feeling I could coast. It didn't work out so well for me. Now, every day, I am here. I text or talk to other people in recovery every day. It seemed like a lot in the beginning but it was a change in lifestyle that has become second nature.

Above all, I don't drink, no matter what. Keep going!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Every single one of us who have accumulated any sober time had to get past some hurdle that was holding us back from full recovery.

They might seem insurmountable. They aren't. And failure at a set point in one's recovery doesn't have to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So this is your opportunity.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can only second what others have said.

I would add one thing, which is that for me, the seed of a relapse happens long before the drink.

There is a moment when I allow the notion of a later drink to enter my psyche and not be shot down immediately. So it hangs out for awhile and then becomes reality.

Kill that sucker right away.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Watch out for stressful situations you can choose to opt out of

Watch out for urges & cravings & the second your AV appears make a detrimental point of reaching out I can't stress how important reaching out is

Best of luck & wishes
Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

It's always a good idea to have many tools in your toolbox, the more the better. If a situation comes up that whatever tool you planned on using to get through it isn't working well enough you can use another. Basically, have a plan to back up your current plan.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great two weeks and recognizing that this is a dangerous time for you in recovery. If I were you, I would stay ultra busy. Be it workouts, dates, events, crosscountry road trips, etc. Volunteer programs? Something until you get past that danger time. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay strong and vigilant and remember that sobriety is your number one priority.