Notices

long term / gradual changes

Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

long term / gradual changes

I've only been sober for 2 years.
Today I was looking through some videos I had stored on my computer. I noticed one that I was actually in the picture from January 2010. I looked ten years older than I do now. I had to look at it again to believe it. And overall I feel great physically.

I'm sure others with some sober time have a similar type of improvement since they sobered up.

How about we share with newcomers some the improvements and positive changes we have realized since we got sober.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good thread, LBrain. I had a new driver's license picture taken and I look way younger too!

There are lots & lots of positive changes for me in 2 years -- a boss commented that it seemed like I'd been to charm school!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I look and feel a thousand times better. I've been told I don't look my age (64) and that I look 'radiant'.

My biggest reward for staying sober is waking up feeling good every day. I used to wake up feeling like death warmed over and hating myself. Not any more! I take joy in each day and am grateful for all my blessings.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I feel better, more energy, more mental clarity.

Ain't no helping me in the looks department, though.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

While there are certainly exterior changes I find that sobriety is an inside job. My perceptions have changed and I engage with the world differently. Probably wouldn't be accused of going to charm school, but I do care more about others - remarkably enough.

Overall I quit smoking as well , eat much better - that took time, sleep well, don't snore (as much) , smile more and visit dentist/doctor on a regular basis.
What was lost has been found in many regards.

Thanks LB for facilitation of carrying the message - good job !!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I look and feel so much better! In 14 months I have lost almost 30 lbs without dieting. I DO exercise more and enjoy it, rather than make it a chore.
The dark circles under my eyes have finally gone away, and eyes are much brighter. People have told me that I look much younger, and I no longer avert my eyes when passing a mirror!

Reading has become fun again. I can now pick up where I left off without having to re-read a chapter to "refresh"!

Every morning a new day starts, and usually a good day! I no longer wake up feeling horrible, guilty and disappointed....

I no longer feel like I am doing without something, missing out by not drinking. There is no feeling of deprivation. I feel blessed to be sober. That is a new mindset!

I could go on and on and on.....

Give yourself a chance, try it. You may find out that you like it very much indeed!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Probably wouldn't be accused of going to charm school,
Yeah, well I didn't say I was charming. But relative to what I *used* to be....

I really couldn't begin to list all the ways things are better. It's just like a whole world I didn't know existed, full of life. Every day is precious.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For the first time in my life I'm OK with who I am. I'm OK with my strengths and OK with my weaknesses I know the best any of us can do is the best we can do and as long as I have really tried then I'm OK with failure to.

I am who I am and refuse to be someone I'm not. Of course I hope the world likes me but if they don't they dont
Old 01-19-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Great thread LB
Practically all the positives already listed and more , I'm a little over two years and the positives are still being discovered.
The biggest positive overall is having let go of the gianormous negative of addiction , the ultimate 'positive' destroyer . Break the chains of addiction and be free to have the opportunity to discover and enhance all the possible positives out there .
Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good idea, LB!
I'm almost at a year. I particularly like what MIR said.
To add: I'm more relaxed. No stress from a hangover. No worry about getting alcohol, no worry about things interfering with my drinking.
I have so much more time because I'm not drunk for two hours before passing out! I can enjoy that time and do something productive - like read with my son. (As a side note - he may not be so thrilled that I'm coherent and making him turn off the video games to read!)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'll be at 14 months tomorrow. I am much less stressed, esp since I am not worried about what I am doing to my health. I also no longer worry if people can tell if I am an alcoholic or that I drank at night and wondering if I smell of alcohol even though I showered.

I can look at myself in the mirror and can even look other people in the eye without feeling ashamed.

I no longer worry whether something is due to drinking since drinking is no longer in the picture. Sometimes things are just what they are and I don't carry that guilt any more.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, LBrain. Great thread!

I'm 2 years, 5 months.

Physically, it's hard to know where to stop. I came to realize, with sadness, that I went for years never really feeling good.

Now, I feel good everyday. My skin is better. I've lot a lot of weight. I care more about my appearance.

I think most, maybe all, of this emanates from an intangible but essential truth: I have my self-respect back.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Two years here and it's good to read what other people have written. Can't say that I look younger but I feel a whole lot better. I'm no longer freaking out about spending money I don't have every month. I'm clearing the backlog of debt, slowly, but still clearing it away.

I'm not afraid that I'll smell like alcohol, all the time. If I say I'm going to be somewhere to do something, I am there. I'm not suddenly stricken with some made up excuse to drink.

I've managed to weather a lot of ups and downs and made better decisions. I know I'm mostly doing the right thing, most of the time.

Thanks Brain.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've lost about 30 lbs in 18 months without even trying.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Having Teen come sit by me & put his arm around me I haven't lost my debit card for a long time & I love laying my sober head on the pillow, knowing I won't wake in the middle of the night filled with dread about things I'de done while drinking. All so worth it!!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Family look at me as super reliable my neices think I'm awesome

Clean skin, hair, nails + teeth

I have refound my love of reading, connected with the wildlife around me & have an ever better relationship with my pooch to name but a few

Most important gradual change is finding myself & getting the real me back

Excellent thread L
Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Only sober for a year but I have lost a lot of weight in that time

Although it is hard to define I think my mind seems to be working better, my memory has recovered somewhat (it was terrible when I was at my worst) and and a seem to have regained some perspective on things as opposed to merely reacting to events
Old 01-20-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know people don't hate having me in their presence! I think people like being around me now :-P. I have wonderful relationships with friends and family. I also have a job, a license, a car, a bank account, live on my own, and also attend college! Because of my sobriety I have all of these things and you can do it too.

It all began with me surrendering, because I knew I was going to lose if I continued on the way I was. I couldn't drink like the average person, I am an all or nothing person especially in my drinking. AA + SR <3
Old 01-20-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Thank You for This Beautiful Thread

Thank you for sharing this. We newbies need to have this hope, that all things will be restored and then some!

Today is Day 10 for me. Of course I feel MUCH better and I'm forging ahead that my health will continue to improve, my slender physique will return, the weird dark circles will go away, and I'll have a whole new life by design...not by default.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who replied. Please, let's just keep this about the benefits we get from being sober. No need to mention recovery programs or how you got there. The important thing is for those in early sobriety to understand that when people keep telling them, "It gets better", that we can share our own real life experience of what we have gained as a result of being sober.
As was already mentioned, one thing that has really stood out for me is that my short tempered self of years past is no more.
I am much more patient and tolerant of things and people that I have no control over. When someone pulls out in front of, I don't hit the horn, I hit the brakes. I'm sure they had no ill intentions, something must have been on their mind - it doesn't matter. I don't get angry and blow the horn. I protect myself by applying the brakes. Then smile to myself quietly and go on my way. These are the kinds of things, the 'unseen' benefits as was mentioned, along with our outer selves that others notice.
It's a whole new ball game after you have some sober time. And the ball is in YOUR court now.