Notices

A humble hello (3 weeks sober; new to the forum)

Old 01-18-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A humble hello (3 weeks sober; new to the forum)

Hey everyone --

I thought I'd introduce myself to the community here. I'll say straight up that this site is a great thing, and I wish everyone the best on his or her personal journey to sober and meaningful living.

I've been doing this drinking thing for oh, about 20 years. As a shy child of an alcoholic, I didn't think twice about drinking after I had my first one (although when I was a kid, I said I'd never touch the stuff because of all the pain it caused us). Drinking felt good, really good, and I became social, funny, and comfortable in my own skin for once in my life. It was the elixir. The magic potion. The solution to all my emotional problems.

Riiiiiight (you know where this is going).

That euphoria, that solution, that cure, of course, lasted oh so long. The perceived solution would soon become the persistent and central problem in my life.

I'll just say I've had years of considerable trouble and pain and loss because of drinking -- my own drinking and that of loved ones. This elixir has been nothing short of terrible for me and my family since I can remember reading Clifford the Big Red Dog as a child and hearing the first drunken fight rage throughout our home (I'll save elaboration for later if the moment calls for it) to now as an adult in his 30s with years of his own drinking problem under his belt.

I have tried managing this thing called alcoholism. Or, how I would have liked to have called it, my "social drinking" habit (again -- riiiiiiight. You know we're this is going).

I've gone months without a drink, tried "trials" of only drinking a certain amount a month (failed miserably, like, well, immediately, like, that very weekend), and seen several therapists and have gone to meetings. I even feel shame saying I'm giving up alcohol now because of all the failure I've had, all the times I tried to quit this bottle and failed to crush it for good. The only way I can see it is these were all pieces of my journey. They all taught me something, and I need to take those teachings and apply them to my sobriety now.

I'm 3 weeks sober now, 22 days to be exact, I'm humbled to be here, and feeling numerous highs and lows as far as emotions go. I'm seeing a therapist and reading a lot of recovery literature. My wife knows sobriety is important to me and is being very supportive.

Sorry for the long-windedness. I guess I'm just saying in my extended way, "hello, I'm here, and I'm struggling through this thing, too."

Thanks for reading. And, all things considered, I'm glad and blessed to be here. I want to stop running towards regret and start walking towards recovery. It always helps to have a few companions along the way and to know you're not walking alone.

Warmly,

Mike
Old 01-18-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on 22 days sober. I hope the support here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike and congrats on twenty-two days.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Mike! It sounds like you're taking some solid steps to support your sobriety. Twenty-two days is great.

We all started in the place you're in now. It gets better. Trust me, it gets better.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mike!!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 22 days Mike! I am right there with you at 22 days as well. I'm getting a little better everyday. Let's keep working on this because at least for me I am seeing small glimpses of the benefits of sobriety. Like everybody says it takes time. I am on sober recovery all the time and it has helped immensely in getting through some rough cravings.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I do plan on making this a "cyber home" in many ways. I've been reading posts on here for quite some time. I'm happy to post myself finally and feel welcome.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Rattle&Him congrats on 3 weeks
Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

22 days is great, Mike; welcome to SR; glad you found us.

Have you thought about joining an SR Class? It's a great way to get to know people with about the same amount of sober time, to share your experiences and to give and receive support.

I'll post a link in a minute.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's the link, Mike:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Again, welcome to SR.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link and suggestion! I didn't know something like that was available here.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Mike,

I for one appreciate a good long-winded and well written post.
Seems we've wandered down the same alleys and wound up at the same dead end. The good news is there is a clearly marked exit and we both know where it is.

I'm at 7 days, so a bit behind you.
Very good on you for your 22 days and counting!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Mike! I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Seems we've wandered down the same alleys and wound up at the same dead end. The good news is there is a clearly marked exit and we both know where it is.

I'm at 7 days, so a bit behind you.
Very good on you for your 22 days and counting!
Indeed, I think we've all hit our share of dead ends. Sometimes we've even run full speed into them! There is a way out, and it's good to know we're taking that exit instead of another route. Thank you kindly for the warm welcome.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 22 days. You are a great inspiration.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mike
Old 01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Mike, congrats on 3 wks, thats great. Just stay strong & keep posting on here, like u said, this site is brilliant. I feel relieved when i come here. It makes a huge difference when u can talk to other people who know exactly how u feel!!! Im 3 months in & i feel like im turning a corner!!!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, loulou! And congrats on 3 months and a corner being turned!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 days! I'm right there with you just past 21 days and on my day 22, hang in there!