Notices

Day 6 and going to my first meeting

Old 01-15-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 and going to my first meeting

I'm halfway through day 6 but just called a wonderful lady from our local AA group and have arranged to go to my first meeting. She was so warm and sincere on the phone and says she will look out for me and even hold my hand if need be.
I feel like I am actually now putting some steps in place to prevent me from relapsing again, and have hope for my future for the first time in a long, long time.
Hopefully between SR, and AA meetings, as well as my doctors support I should be able to kick this alcoholism to the kerb!!! X :-)
Old 01-15-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Hopefully between SR, and AA meetings, as well as my doctors support I should be able to kick this alcoholism to the kerb!!! X :-)
That's a winning plan! Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great Nic - let us know how you get on

D
Old 01-15-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great Nic. When's your first meeting?

If they've got a copy of Living Sober there, I'd highly recommend buying yourself a copy and reading it - it's such a helpful book. (If they don't have it there you could buy it online). It's full of wisdom and practical tips that can really help me deal with the day to day issue of dealing with life on life's terms in sobriety.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You made me smile Nic.
I am so glad you are doing this ~ I hope you like the meeting.
It sounds like you have a really good plan in place, and that is great!
Old 01-15-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sounds great Nic - let us know how you get on

D
I will do Dee - thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
That's great Nic. When's your first meeting?

If they've got a copy of Living Sober there, I'd highly recommend buying yourself a copy and reading it - it's such a helpful book. (If they don't have it there you could buy it online). It's full of wisdom and practical tips that can really help me deal with the day to day issue of dealing with life on life's terms in sobriety.
Beccy, my first meeting is at 7pm tonight.. (It's now 3.40) so going to the growers market now to stock up on fruit and veg for the week to pass some time.
I'll keep an eye out for that book..thanks for the recommendation !!!
Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
You made me smile Nic.
I am so glad you are doing this ~ I hope you like the meeting.
It sounds like you have a really good plan in place, and that is great!
Thanks Venus!!! I'm looking forward to the meeting but obviously a bit scared of the Unknown!!!! I'm going in with a positive attitude so hopefully I will get a lot of good out of it!!
Hope you're going well Hun x
Old 01-15-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I bet you'll feel great afterwards - tired, but great.

Does it say what kind of meeting it is? (Big Book; General Share; or whatever?)
The important thing to remember is that everyone has been a newcomer at some point - and they will remember what that was like. And you don't have to speak at all if you don't want to - just listening and chatting before and after the meeting (and during the break if there is one) will be really helpful as it is.

When I first went I was kind of overwhelmed with the fact that people were so kind and with the relief of finally finding a group of people who seemed to understand the stuff that goes on in my head (maybe have a tissue in your pocket, just in case you're the same - lots of people do find it quite emotional - in a good way of course ).

I look forward to hearing how you got on - please give us an update later
Old 01-16-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I bet you'll feel great afterwards - tired, but great.

Does it say what kind of meeting it is? (Big Book; General Share; or whatever?)
The important thing to remember is that everyone has been a newcomer at some point - and they will remember what that was like. And you don't have to speak at all if you don't want to - just listening and chatting before and after the meeting (and during the break if there is one) will be really helpful as it is.

When I first went I was kind of overwhelmed with the fact that people were so kind and with the relief of finally finding a group of people who seemed to understand the stuff that goes on in my head (maybe have a tissue in your pocket, just in case you're the same - lots of people do find it quite emotional - in a good way of course ).

I look forward to hearing how you got on - please give us an update later
I actually have no idea what kind of meeting it is.. It says Open Meeting?Whatever that is.. It doesn't sound a very big one. The lady I spoke to said that attendance ranges from just a few people up to about 15 or so and that several people may get up to tell their stories, but I'm not going to have to do anything at all.
She sounds like she has a good sense of humor which is what I love! I will let you know how I get on once I am back again! x

And just to add- I will be taking a WAd of tissues!!! I couldn't even get thorugh my phonecall to her without bawling..I know I'll be a blubbering mess if people are kind haha!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

An open meeting is one where alcoholics or anyone interested in AA and how it works can go along. A closed meeting is JUST alcoholics. That means if you've got a member or family or friend you'd like to bring along for moral support, that'd be okay. One man who lived with his old mum used to bring her along to open meetings so she understood what the meetings were about and could encourage him.

Sounds like a general meeting - the secretary (who is just a member of AA - another alcoholic like us) will open with the preamble and steps, then people will talk. At some point there'll be pot passed round (you won't be expected to put any money in on your first meeting, but can if you want - it just goes towards expenses of the rent and tea / coffee etc.), there may or may not be a break. People will share. There is no cross sharing (ie. no interrupting or commenting on what others have said, unless they've asked specifically for people to give thoughts / ideas on something). Some meetings put time restrictions on shares (apparently - I've never been to one like that) if there have historically been people who talk a looooong time . I always get a lot out of listening to others. More than talking myself. At the end there will be hand holding in a circle and a short prayer - where I am this is always the Serenity prayer, but apparently some places use the Lords prayer. Again - never had that in any meetings I've been to.

Have fun - and get lots of numbers from other ladies (maybe take a pad and pen along for that).
Old 01-16-2016, 03:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six days sober! Going to a meeting is a great idea.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

An open meeting is one where alcoholics or anyone interested in AA and how it works can go along. A closed meeting is JUST alcoholics. That means if you've got a member or family or friend you'd like to bring along for moral support, that'd be okay. One man who lived with his old mum used to bring her along to open meetings so she understood what the meetings were about and could encourage him.

Sounds like a general meeting - the secretary (who is just a member of AA - another alcoholic like us) will open with the preamble and steps, then people will talk. At some point there'll be pot passed round (you won't be expected to put any money in on your first meeting, but can if you want - it just goes towards expenses of the rent and tea / coffee etc.), there may or may not be a break. People will share. There is no cross sharing (ie. no interrupting or commenting on what others have said, unless they've asked specifically for people to give thoughts / ideas on something). Some meetings put time restrictions on shares (apparently - I've never been to one like that) if there have historically been people who talk a looooong time . I always get a lot out of listening to others. More than talking myself. At the end there will be hand holding in a circle and a short prayer - where I am this is always the Serenity prayer, but apparently some places use the Lords prayer. Again - never had that in any meetings I've been to.

Have fun - and get lots of numbers from other ladies (maybe take a pad and pen along for that).
Lol Beccy that's EXACTLY how it was. The lady I spoke to on the phone sat me down next to her and the chairperson read out some info then everyone took turns saying something about their experience. I was the only newby there so I felt a lot of people were talking directly to me but that was ok. It was such a great feeling to listen to other people's stories and not feel so alone in the world. They did pass the dish around and I chose to put some money in even though they said not to ( I spent a fortune on drink anyway so what's a few bucks?)
I was given some kind of beginners pack with a small blue book. The ladies have written their numbers in and told me to call them if I want to talk. All very humbling and a very positive experience. I am going to another meeting tomorrow afternoon at another hall. Something to look forward to.
Never thought I would get so much out of sitting amongst a bunch of strangers but it was very fulfilling X
Old 01-16-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on six days sober! Going to a meeting is a great idea.
Thanks least- I loved it x
Old 01-16-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Never thought I would get so much out of sitting amongst a bunch of strangers but it was very fulfilling X
Good for you, Nic! It is great that you found such wonderful support. Keep on, keeping on, but do not forget to come here, because we would miss you terribly if you did not.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Good for you, Nic! It is great that you found such wonderful support. Keep on, keeping on, but do not forget to come here, because we would miss you terribly if you did not.
aww that's so sweet- thanks silly! I'm not going anywhere. I hope you're feeling a little better now X
Old 01-16-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Excellent news and you will overcome it bud, the AV is not match for what you have in place as long as we are midful to use the tools. Have a great one Andrew
Old 01-16-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
Excellent news and you will overcome it bud, the AV is not match for what you have in place as long as we are midful to use the tools. Have a great one Andrew
Thanks Andrew!!! Going to bed on a natural high tonight... ( well I've eaten about 200 liquorice allsorts too!!) :-).
Looking forward to waking up on day 7
Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do this Nic!!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 6 Nic