Notices

So tired! Doing too much??

Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So tired! Doing too much??

So I am 7 months sober and I am freaking exhausted! I am working 40 hours a week, going to a meeting every other night, and writing my 4th step every other night. I have very little "down" time. I wake up at 6am and my day goes until I collapse into bed around 10. Tonight I am meeting my sponsor at the gym after work, then I have to rush home, shove some dinner in my face, and come back to work for an 8pm conference call. I'll probably get home around 10. I got home at 10 last night. I will get home tomorrow at 10 because I have a meeting after work and then a conference call again! I seriously want to cry. I just want to leave work , go home, order a pizza and sit on the couch. Am I doing too much? My sponsor thinks I am still "detoxing" in that my nervous system is still trying to repair itself from years of benzos and alcohol and that it is normal for me to be this tired. I'm normally very good...I can go and go and go. But every once in a while I want to stomp my feet and collapse into a ball and just cry. Right now I am having one of those moments.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on posting congrats on 7 months
Old 01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I kept myself really busy at first. I was depressed and I didn't want a long night when I didn't have anything to do because I knew it would make me think about drinking and who wants to spend the night with resentment or cravings? But, eventually I realized my body was just really tired from the detox process and I sort of chilled out. It sounds like you're detoxing and could use some rest.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I can see why you're tired. May I ask, do you also pressure yourself with the expectation that you should be able to 'handle' all this with a smile?

It is really important to give yourself a break. Only you know the best way to do this....AA meeting on lunch break rather than after work, take a few days off, a weekend staycation where you park it on the couch, binge watch Netflix and order pizza....a massage. But take the time. And give yourself a big ole break. Sounds to me like you're doing great and what you're experiencing is really normal.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your pain. I admire all that you are doing. I hear you when you say that you are exhausted but tomorrow is another day. I really felt in your post your desire for sobriety. I am pulling for you. Keeping busy can be great but there can be too much. See if you can prioritize (with your sobriety at the top) and see what you can lessen or cut out. Let us know however we can help support you. Best wishes, John
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I don't know if you're still de-toxing, but if I were in your shoes I'd be a basket case. I need a lot more down time than you're getting. I'm an introvert so that explains some of it but going from 6 am to 10 pm every day would burn most anyone out.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 7 months sober!

I don't know if you are doing too much, but I do know I couldn't have managed to do all that. One thing I recognized when I stopped drinking was that I had to have 'me' time/quiet time every day. It was essential for me to begin to rebuild myself mentally, physically and spiritually. My best advice is to listen to your soul. That's where you will find your answer.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First off, congrats on seven months.

Second, I got tired reading your post, so I can imagine how tired you must be. Here's what I had to learn. Not everything can be a number one priority. Something has to be pushed down the list. If you can't negotiate with work (like coming in later after a late night conference call), then it has to be something else. Cut out the gym for a while. I'm not one to compromise recovery related priorities, but even there--a meeting skipped and replaced with a call to your sponsor--there should be room to negotiate.

Just remember, T, Tired, is one of the components of the HALT . Halting your exhaustion is a part of recovery.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why a meeting every other night? Have you been feeling tempted to drink or use again? Same goes for the sponsor. Sometimes, it's ok to put AA on the back burner for a while; it doesn't have to be the end-all, be-all all the time. Congrats on seven month.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Sounds to me that you are just replacing one addiction for another. Figure out what you have to do versus things that you want to do. I have done this myself before where I put so much on my plate that I burn out and end up at the bottom of a bottle. I hope this doesn't happen to you but it certainly sounds like you are doing a ton. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd be tired too. Can you cut back on some activities? Give yourself a break once in a while.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Imagine trying to do all of that with a hangover.

Congratulations on 7 months!
Old 01-12-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

7 Months is fantastic Bunny!!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Bunny, congrats on 7 months! I read volumes when I decided to quit drinking. One thing in particular stood out that I read over and over: Be kind to yourself, especially the first year. You don't sound like you have any time left in your day to be kind to yourself! Listen to your body. If you are tired (and who wouldn't be at the speed you are going) slow down, and be kind to yourself.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As others, great job on the 7 months. I have two comments. One, if this is a temporary busy period, and it you knew it was coming, I'd just right it out. It will end soon. If it is every day, something's going (or has to) to give. Two, I'm a believer in a body's biorhythms, and their cycle. When in a down cycle, you just simply need to recharge the batteries. For me they usually last about 2-3 days. I just seemed drained for no particular reason. Maybe that is something you are experiencing. I think you're doing great.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take a day off work. My boss told me I could. I just need some down time! I plan to read and relax and maybe cook something yummy. I also have Monday off which is nice. I had a rough day... I really appreciate all the support and help!