Notices

What "normal" drinkers dont do...

Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don’t react to any bad experience, including gastric flu or food poisoning, by pouring alcohol down their throat.

Normal drinkers don’t hold ice cubes around their mouth for a few minutes before making a phone call, to avoid slurring their words.

Originally Posted by adelina123 View Post
Normal drinkers don't sucking mints cos they're paranoid about the smell.
And normal drinkers don’t suck a teaspoon of peanut butter instead, because they’re paranoid about the smell but worry that mints would be a giveaway.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeroine View Post
Normal drinkers don’t react to any bad experience, including gastric flu or food poisoning, by pouring alcohol down their throat.
Car wreck after getting drunk behind the wheel to go get more alcohol. Busted face and broken tooth. Got home, showered, drank the alcohol and told myself, "I wrecked my car for this. It'd be a waste not to drink it.

Originally Posted by Zeroine View Post
Normal drinkers don’t hold ice cubes around their mouth for a few minutes before making a phone call, to avoid slurring their words.

And normal drinkers don’t suck a teaspoon of peanut butter instead, because they’re paranoid about the smell but worry that mints would be a giveaway.
Normal drinkers don't read that and think, "why didn't I think of that?"
Old 01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't have to throw out beautiful clothing that they covered in blood while completely intoxicated and falling on their face. UGH!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers do not pretend to be drinking beer from a can at a party when half is topped up with vodka from the drinks table when no one is looking. Hey, I look like everyone else at the party!

Normal drinkers do not wee in the kitchen sink as to go upstairs is too far. Or wee in empties in their bedroom to aviod flatmates knowing they are still drinking at 3am

Normal drinkers do not find the most exciting part of Xmas day being the acceptability of having champagne for breakfast

Normal drinkers enjoy and savour a three course meal rather than watch like a hawk who is drinking 'their wine' quota. Normal drinkers tend not to order all three of : port, aperetif AND a liqueur coffee and hope no-one really notices
Old 01-26-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't always have a mixed drink on hand, disguised in a soda bottle or cup, and then be constantly paranoid that someone is going to ask for a sip of their drink.

Normal drinkers don't get caught secretly drinking when the leave their drink somewhere, can't remember where they put it and then another person drinks it because it was close to where their own was.

Normal drinkers don't often buy and carry around miniatures to add to said secret mixed drinks.

Normal drinkers don't worry about where to throw away/hide their empty bottles of said miniatures when they're in other peoples' homes or staying at hotels with other people etc.

Normal drinkers don't save the empty miniatures in a bag in their suitcase until they can throw them away at the airport or take the bag in their purse and throw them away when they're out and about and when no one is looking.

Normal drinkers don't put the empty miniatures in an empty toilet paper or paper towel roll in hotel bathrooms or at a friends' house, stick toilet paper in there to cover them up and then roll them up in a bunch of toilet paper and throw them in the bathroom trash can and hope the person throwing something in the trash or taking out the trash doesn't notice.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

The normal drinker is excited to attend their best friend's BBQ as it is a great excuse to get together and have fun. The normal drinker is excited about all the good food and activities planned, they are not even thinking about alcohol. They show up at a reasonable time and when offered a beer, they take it but might not finish it before they go home. In fact any alcohol is an added bonus to party not a requirement.

The problem drinker is excited for the BBQ as it is a great excuse to get hammered with others. All they can think about is the booze and are concerned there might not be "enough" so they bring their own which they largely consume solo. They are so into the alcohol that if you weren't hosting booze at your BBQ they simply wouldnt come, no matter how long you have been friends. In fact, they have another "much better" party to attend where there will be heavy drinking.

The alcoholic, doesn't even make it to the party because they started drinking that morning too ward off the shakes. The few beers they said they needed to have to take the edge off suddenly becomes 12 beers and then onto other harder stuff causing them to pass out. By the time they become conscious again, its 1am and the BBQ ended a few hours ago. Feeling guilt and shame for missing their good friend's BBQ, they proceed to open another bottle of wine/hard liquor until they pass out again to help "kill the pain."
Old 01-26-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
The normal drinker is excited to attend their best friend's BBQ as it is a great excuse to get together and have fun. The normal drinker is excited about all the good food and activities planned, they are not even thinking about alcohol. They show up at a reasonable time and when offered a beer, they take it but might not finish it before they go home. In fact any alcohol is an added bonus to party not a requirement. The problem drinker is excited for the BBQ as it is a great excuse to get hammered with others. All they can think about is the booze and are concerned there might not be "enough" so they bring their own which they largely consume solo. They are so into the alcohol that if you weren't hosting booze at your BBQ they simply wouldnt come, no matter how long you have been friends. In fact, they have another "much better" party to attend where there will be heavy drinking. The alcoholic, doesn't even make it to the party because they started drinking that morning too ward off the shakes. The few beers they said they needed to have to take the edge off suddenly becomes 12 beers and then onto other harder stuff causing them to pass out. By the time they become conscious again, its 1am and the BBQ ended a few hours ago. Feeling guilt and shame for missing their good friend's BBQ, they proceed to open another bottle of wine/hard liquor until they pass out again to help "kill the pain."
I would suggest that the words Problem Drinker in the second paragraph could be replaced with the word Alcoholic and the words Late Stage be inserted in the third paragraph.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
I would suggest that the words Problem Drinker in the second paragraph could be replaced with the word Alcoholic and the words Late Stage be inserted in the third paragraph.
I see where you are coming from and I gave your suggestion some thought, but I decided I like how I wrote it.

To me it shows how moderate drinkers ( 2 standard drinks for men and 1 for women/day) can become heavy drinkers/problem drinkers ( with heavy drinker a term used by other SR members, rather than problem drinkers, as I like to refer to them as) and once they have become problem drinkers how easily they can become tissue dependent.

But, I don't want it to seem like I was sugar coating heavy drinking, it only leads to more trouble and heartache if the heavy drinker doesn't address their serious problem.

Not sure if I am making any sense and sorry if I went a bit off-topic.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

You are absolutely making sense, and it's not off topic at all...

A normal drinker doesn't offer to bartend at their sister's engagement party, and proceed to get completely loaded and just....leave.
I need to add that I drove straight to my dealer's house, and HE wouldn't let me get back behind the wheel. Ironic, huh?

This was 25 years ago.

Normal drinkers more than likely would have seen this as a huge red flag and stopped drinking.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

A normal drinker doesn't get excited when they receive a wedding invitation in hopes of an open bar.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ubntubnt View Post
Normal drinkers don't go out for a quick beer on a Friday evening with a friend and wake up on Sunday afternoon in a different city in paper underwear lying on a massage table.
This is really funny ubntubnt !!!! I can't stop to laugh!!😂
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't get lost while high drunk and decided to follow the police car in front to me to a Dead end street on the road, to ask to the police man... Officer I'm trying to get home but my gps is not working properly...and the niceee officer give the right directions and I finished the conversation saying thank you officer but by any chance are going on the same direction, can I follow you? Them he says No, I say ok thanks.. Btw I was drunk and my car insurance had expired the night before ...oh God! Thank you for saving me🙏 I won't drink ever again.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

^^^ Oh wow, that's a good one....definitely sounds like God was on your side Alegre!
Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
^^^ Oh wow, that's a good one....definitely sounds like God was on your side Alegre!
Hi venuscat , the next day when I get up that is when I found out I paid a different bill a month before and I thought was my car insurance bill that is why I didn't know I was driving without insurance! I was sick for days in terror that is when I decided I can't drink ever 🤕
Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

A normal drinker doesn't end up in jail on Halloween in a Vampiress costume along with her Dracula date for the night. Ages 64 and 65. Charge....Drunk in public.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
A normal drinker doesn't end up in jail on Halloween in a Vampiress costume along with her Dracula date for the night. Charge....Drunk in public.
Lolll
Old 01-27-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Normal drinkers don't head to the grocery store at 6am Saturday or Sunday to buy booze...and an additional $40 of groceries they don't need just so the cashier won't think they came in at 6am just to buy alcohol.

Sadly, I did that many times.
Oh man this one made me laugh so hard because it is so me! I'd end up with 3 loafs of bread and 5 dozens of eggs because every time I went for wine, I'd fill up my trolley with things I already have plenty of.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
A normal drinker doesn't end up in jail on Halloween in a Vampiress costume along with her Dracula date for the night. Ages 64 and 65. Charge....Drunk in public.
OMG thanks for the laugh first thing this morning!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
The normal drinker is excited to attend their best friend's BBQ as it is a great excuse to get together and have fun. The normal drinker is excited about all the good food and activities planned, they are not even thinking about alcohol. They show up at a reasonable time and when offered a beer, they take it but might not finish it before they go home. In fact any alcohol is an added bonus to party not a requirement.

The problem drinker is excited for the BBQ as it is a great excuse to get hammered with others. All they can think about is the booze and are concerned there might not be "enough" so they bring their own which they largely consume solo. They are so into the alcohol that if you weren't hosting booze at your BBQ they simply wouldnt come, no matter how long you have been friends. In fact, they have another "much better" party to attend where there will be heavy drinking.

The alcoholic, doesn't even make it to the party because they started drinking that morning too ward off the shakes. The few beers they said they needed to have to take the edge off suddenly becomes 12 beers and then onto other harder stuff causing them to pass out. By the time they become conscious again, its 1am and the BBQ ended a few hours ago. Feeling guilt and shame for missing their good friend's BBQ, they proceed to open another bottle of wine/hard liquor until they pass out again to help "kill the pain."
I'm struggling with this one too.... The first thing I thought was .... ahhh I'm only a problem drinker then so I've got a bit further to go before I'm a full blown alcoholic!! Where's the wine??
Old 01-27-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

normal drinkers don't have a glass clutched desperately in their hand and an inane paranoid grin on their face in every single photo taken of them over the past few years.