Notices

What "normal" drinkers dont do...

Old 01-13-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

What Mirage said so perfectly -- nailed it.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Mirage....Perfect.
This thread has me enthralled! I can't believe I felt so alone for so long, yet there are so many of us in the same boat!
Some of these stories are very sad, some are hilarious. The fact is, they are all true. We can only learn from this sharing!

Normal drinkers don't miss a family funeral, after having a quick shot to take the edge off before going, and then not being able to resist the rest of the bottle and passing out. Then wake up to find their mum sitting on the end of the sofa waiting patiently for me to wake up to find out why I wasn't at said funeral. Argh!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't keep explaining that the reason their eyes are red and puffy is because of season allergies to pollen (in January).

Normal drinkers don't always have to wear baggy cargo-style pants with lots of deep pockets, all the better for carrying one or two 250ml bottles discretely.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I'll never forget the day I saw my 60 year old "tough as nails" father break down and sob hysterically "I'm afraid you're going to die...I can't bury my child. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't live like this...knowing that any day now someone is going to call me and tell me that my daughter is dead!"

Yeah, pretty sure that doesn't happen to normal drinkers. This thread is funny but this disease is really horrible and sad. I'm so thankful I put down the drink!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't pass out in the chair watching TV,

Only to wake up at 2am with the drink still in their hand.

Then finish drinking it before going to bed.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Normal drinkers don't try to mix their wine with water (for a "lesser effect") because they don't want to feel hungover after drinking the whole bottle.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I'll never forget the day I saw my 60 year old "tough as nails" father break down and sob hysterically "I'm afraid you're going to die...I can't bury my child. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't live like this...knowing that any day now someone is going to call me and tell me that my daughter is dead!"

Yeah, pretty sure that doesn't happen to normal drinkers. This thread is funny but this disease is really horrible and sad. I'm so thankful I put down the drink!
This has me in tears. As does Mirage's beautiful post....

Normal drinkers could not would not understand why this thread is so powerful for so many of us.

I have been sober for well over a year, yet I have been somewhat haunted by many of the things I did in my drinking days. (Read 20 years).

But this thread has helped immeasurably. I am not alone. None of us are. ♥
Old 01-13-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I've done that.

The amount of times I killed off my grandmother over the years, to God knows how many different employers....

And trying to remember who was supposed to be dead so I didn't accidentally give myself away in conversation, or say that person had died again...
So have I. I wasn't sure if I had any grandparents left so I starting killing off aunts and uncles. I've also had burglaries, burst pipes, a random cyst on my eye, a couple of car accidents, a recurring shoulder injury (rotator cuff, got that online), a breast lump, both parents had falls, the dog swallowed a straw and needed surgery. I was convinced that the more elaborate the lie, the more likely I was to be believed. Oh and wisdom teeth, I've had a lot of those removed!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Yes Cara, and when some lunatic glues all of the locks of your car and you can't get to work and it's actually TRUE....no one believes you.

This girl cried wolf WAY too many times.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Yes Cara, and when some lunatic glues all of the locks of your car and you can't get to work and it's actually TRUE....no one believes you.

This girl cried wolf WAY too many times.
Yep, when my boiler actually leaked and destroyed my floors I rang in with stomach flu as I was "flooded" the previous week!

What a relief not to have to remember any more lies.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cara39 View Post
So have I. I wasn't sure if I had any grandparents left so I starting killing off aunts and uncles. I've also had burglaries, burst pipes, a random cyst on my eye, a couple of car accidents, a recurring shoulder injury (rotator cuff, got that online), a breast lump, both parents had falls, the dog swallowed a straw and needed surgery. I was convinced that the more elaborate the lie, the more likely I was to be believed. Oh and wisdom teeth, I've had a lot of those removed!
I don't mean to laugh, but I can totally relate. Normal drinkers can't get creative like we do! I killed an uncle off for cirrhosis of the liver. Oh, the irony.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't drink alone until 2am, two or three times a week.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

This is so HILARIOUS. Why are we crying again?
Old 01-13-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Normal drinkers don't drink the day they get out of detox.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't have so many drinks in a layover, that when they board the plane they throw up in the airsickness bag while still on the ground. Then when the plane is evacuated due to technical problems, pass out on a sofa only to wake up four hours later to see that their flight is finally scheduled to take off in 30 minutes. Was the alarm set for that "nap"? Of course not, pure luck they made it.

Normal drinkers don't call that "to calm their nerves".
Old 01-13-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't know the bars in every airport that serve quickly, and will double your shot for two dollars more.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by least View Post
Normal drinkers don't drink the day they get out of detox.
Normal drinkers don't go to detox.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers are not on the "alcohol and cigarette " diet!

Normal drinkers fall over only a handful of times since childhood - problem drinkers fall over... Regularly

Normal drinkers know how they got that HUGE bruise on their bum

Normal drinkers do not attempt to pee in the sitting room

Normal drinkers drink slowly

Normal drinkers have vintage wine ( any wine that had been in my house more than 24 hours was classed as vintage)

Normal drinkers dont finish of the last dregs of wine upon waking up of a morning

Normal drinkers have an half full bottle of wine corked with the bottle stopper they got in a christmas cracker.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't go to the grocery store to buy a bottle of wine first thing in the morning along with a gift bag for it so the clerk won't think I'm buying the wine for myself.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't have to check their smartphone history on an average Tuesday morning to see who they called or texted late at night.