Notices

Is increased hunger normal during sobriety?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I eat enormously when my stomach calms down, after about a week. It's not ideal but in my opinion even eating rubbish is WAY better for you than living on poison.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have not read the entire thread, but based on the title....yes, when my digestive system becomes stable I eat and drink like I weight 500 lbs. Non stop eating and re hydrating.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was in bed trying to sleep last night but was thinking of all these delicious things I wanted to make, most of them high calorie like lasagna, stuffed shells, baked goods etc. I think I’m finally starting to get my appetite back and desire to cook, something I used to enjoy is returning.

I am only 3 days in after an 8 month relapse. I would cook healthy foods and workout frequently. I am looking forward to being my sober self
Old 01-23-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, food is a massive plus to being sober long term, especially if you like cooking and trying new things. It can be unhealthy sometimes if you don't overdo it too!

I'm quite lucky in that I like most food. And the evolving studies on nutrition is fascinating - salt is nowhere near as bad for you as previously advertised, butter and eggs are good and carbs are not that essential! Unfortunately sugar is apparently still pretty bad.

I just bought a spice rack with spices, followed a you tube video making brocilli with oil, roasted with dried thyme, chilli flakes and salt. Amazing how good it was for such a simple recipe.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yeah my eating always goes through the roof when i stop drinking, unfortunately then i start to fret about being fat, which then makes me diet then drink again. This time im not going to let my weight get to me, think it's far more important now to beat the alcoholism
Old 01-23-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't really notice any difference myself, at 18 days in, I'm not really sure if I'm more or less hungry.

But I would say if you are more hungry, just eat whatever you want, it might help keep your mind off drinking. I have noticed that the few times I've had a craving for alcohol, eating tends to lessen that until it goes away.

In fact, I probably am eating more, but not because I'm more hungry, but because I have to do something because I'm not sitting at my desk drinking one beer after another. I started drinking tea, the herbal no caffeine variety in the evenings. It seems a good substitute for the beer.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

At first I had no appetite, but now day 4, I’ve started to noticed I’m hungrier now than when I was on Adderall, I think my body is catching up for lost time.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm 19 months sober and still crave sweets and rich food, especially in the evenings.

Grapefruit seems to suppress my appetite, and I eat breakfast cereal in the evening a lot as a snack.

But I always have ice cream and candy on hand. Luckily I'm 5'8" and 155 no matter how much I eat, but my cholesterol is high.

I've always liked to cook, but have really derived into it in the past year.

So, yeah, slightly obsessed with food, but small price to pay.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When I first became sober I stuffed myself, making up for all the time that I spent not eating at all-food interfered with the alcohol. At rehab all of the sudden it was three meals a day and snacks-I was very enthusiastic about eating, and that is a good thing. At the end of my drinking I had dangerously low sodium and potassium, and my body craved nutrients. Human bodies are very resilient, but they need proper fuel for optimal healing potential. I don't think anyone should worry about overeating now--staying sober and getting healthy are more important than watching your weight. I have just over four years of sobriety and don't eat nearly as much as I did at first, but I still enjoy good food-I've also been a vegetarian for 30 years. Best wishes everyone on your sober journeys!
Old 02-02-2020, 01:05 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
EndGame

Early on in sobriety, there was little that I would have considered to be "normal." Except maybe that getting obliterated nearly every day and night was no longer normal for me.

In part, because my life seems to have gone by in just a few moments for at least the past twenty years, there are times when I don't know how I got sober again.

Reaching out for help was a major factor in my desire to build a life for myself that would make it difficult for me to start drinking again. My modest goals could not accommodate a process that was motivated by drama or a job that was too big to handle, even with help. A struggle on at least two fronts. And a lot of chaotic internal stuff, like regret, despair, and self-recrimination; the perfect storm to either trigger a relapse or live in misery if I had done nothing more.

I was racked by anxiety, depressed, virtually without sleep, and tired every day when I first got sober.

I tried to eat well, but high-calorie comfort food became my new healthy diet. With plenty of ice cream. I started training shortly after I got sober, so I avoided some of the unwanted consequences of a diet suitable for a twelve-year-old.

A lot of us discover that we're depressed after putting down the drink, while many others live with chronic anxiety that spikes at unpredictable times. And around fifty-percent of each of the two groups suffer both depression and anxiety. Everyone I met after I got sober seemed to want to join the party.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Same here I am always want to eat. I have always been OCD about my weight. At day 50 I am giving myself a pass because I know I will be able to take care of that at another time. I need to focus on being sober first.