Notices

Need Help

Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

Hey Guys,
i have been struggling with alcohol for almost 2 years now, to be honest at this point of my life it seems almost impossible to quit, i have tried so many times, i could go for weeks without drinking and then i go back to the same unhealthy routine.
i have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and severe anxiety, i think that's the main reason of my alcoholism, it's tough.....
i can't imagine my life without having 2 bottles of wine to calm my self, i tried some medications but unfortunately it did not work, to be honest i hated it, so many negative side effects that i can't even count.
i just want to be normal, i just want a clean life away from this substance. is it possible?
please help, any positive feedback will be enormous for me.
thank you.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Amin. I'm sorry you are struggling. There are some awesome members on this site who also have the double-whammy of addiction and bi-polar disorder to try and manage. It sounds really hard. I'm sure they will weigh in. Can you perhaps dump your supply on hand right now and stay sober the rest of the weekend? Have you had detox symptoms when you have quit for a few weeks here and there? Stay safe and see a doc if you have any bad symptoms. You can do this Amin. It is ultimately and absolutely possible to live a clean life away from this substance.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Amin !

I have struggled with mental illness my whole life. But nothing compounded my problems like drinking. I found the program of Alcoholics Anonymous to be helpful in meeting life's challenges now that I am not drinking. It's twelve simple steps that you can see right from the start, and there are support meetings almost everywhere.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Amin,

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to find medication that works for your bipolar disorder. Have you asked your dr whether there is something else that you can try which might have less side effects?

It does seem that alcohol will only make things worse though, so you might find things improve when you stop drinking.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm bipolar. I think with many of these mental health issues, we try to self medicate. Many, if not most of us are on medications and alcohol affects the effectiveness of these meds. Meds then end up not working well. More alcohol and a horribly viscous cycle forms. Alcohol interacts with these medications in many ways, including reducing the effectiveness and increasing the side effects. There are other medications you might try. Talk to your doctor. Also, it's always a good idea to let your doctor know if you are going to stop any of these psych meds, as opposed to stopping them on your own. Bipolar is a complex condition with multiple things going on. The main point I'd like to make is to stop alcohol. AA or whatever it takes. BP will be a lot easier to treat without alcohol. There are many programs and if you look around this site there are many options. Many of us have stopped just by reading and posting on this site. If you have alcohol in your house, dump it out now. Right now. You have to start somewhere. Tomorrow never comes.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello.
Yes, it is possible to live a sober life.
You say you don't like the side effects of the medication. How do you like the side effects of the alcohol?
I drank for years to cover up an anxiety disorder. And it worked, but the alcoholism progressed until I was a full blown alcoholic drinking every day.
The side effects of the alcohol were horrendous.

I finally got the help of a good psychiatrist and found a medication that works great. I'm still on it as I have generalized anxiety disorder.
I have no side effects from the medication.
We can make excuses all we want as a reason not to quit drinking, but in the end we don't really want to quit.

I am a real alcoholic. I admit it. I had to want to quit and to go to any length necessary in order to do it.
I've been sober over eleven years. My life, with the help of medication, has become manageable.
If you're serious about quitting alcohol, you're in the right place.
There really is no good excuse to keep drinking once it has become a problem.

Best to you, and I hope you stick around here.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There is no point in taking meds for bipolar if you are drinking while taking them. Alcohol makes the meds not work as they should.

Ask your doctor to try different meds. And I found when I was put on a new med, that the side effects go away in time. Maybe when you were trying meds, you didn't give it enough time for the side effects to lessen.

Yes, it's possible to stop drinking and live a happy healthy life. But you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.

I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Amin - I'm so glad you found us.
I'd been drinking 30 years when I came to SR. I never imagined I could quit, but I have 12 yrs. sober now. Talking things over here has helped me to never feel alone - everyone understands what you're going through.

I hope you'll stay with us & will be inspired to get free of alcohol. We care.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome aboard armin

D
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

I suffer from mental illness as well. So far I haven’t been able to fund the right combination of things to keep myself from drinking long term. I can’t make it 2-3 months no problem but then I go on vacation or have an event or something where I need to socialize and to do that i need to drink.
It’s a tough road, but we just need to keep it going one day at a time! I wish you the best.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I take OTC meds and Lisinopril for BP.

If I didn't take them I would definitely feel wrong.

So I relate.

This place saved my life.

I just kept coming back like a lost puppy.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi amin each time you put down the drink you are making a wise decision. One of these times it will extend to more days, past withdrawals, and eating and thinking will start to straighten out.

I have taken medications for mental and physical illnesses every day for the past 135 days...now I am reaping the benefit of having normal blood pressure, controlling diabetes, not manic nor depressed....the MOST important thing is I haven't drank a drop of alcohol.

It's a prerequisite, sobriety, not moderation, nor binging.