Notices

I'm really mad at myself.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm really mad at myself.

I was on this board about 2 years ago when stopped drinking. I was completely sober for a year and a half, maybe slightly more.

I had a gastric bypass in June and recently I've had bouts of drinking again. I've always been a problem drinker that can't stop once I start though I can go for long periods of time without drinking.

I'm really mad at myself and I don't understand why I'm having a hard time getting it under control now. I was happy sober and I thought after my surgery since I can't really drink much anyhow I could control it, but I can't. I know I need to stop completely again but I feel like I'm back to square one and of course I'm extremely hungover so that's not helping my mental state about this. Anyone else have a similar issue? I could really use some encouragement. I thought I had gotten past this.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can quit again. Hopefully you learned something the last time and make a plan. There are TONS of information here on the many threads and good people that will support you. Welcome!
Old 01-03-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Lots of people have to try it more than once. I'm on my third attempt, but I get more determined each time, and each time my plan gets stronger and I get more skin in the game.

Jump in and try it again. Lots of people here are giving it a go this month. Many of them for the second or third or Nth try.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I'm glad you're giving it another go. Living sober really rocks.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have tasted the good sober life.

Originally Posted by Kalamitye View Post

Anyone else have a similar issue? I could really use some encouragement.
Not only with myself but, also with many others I have seen it played out over and over again.

Yes, hopefully we do learn in time that if we go back out there are no guarantees that we will be able to return to a happy sober life.

But, the good news.
You have tasted the good sober life.
And now is the time to put up the good fight to get it back once more.
Sometimes these are great learning experiences.
Please, consider it that and stay away from the liquid devil.

M-Bob
Old 01-03-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Been down the same road, got back on the horse and I am riding it into the sunset.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're right that you need to quit completely. Stay here, you will find a lot of information and support.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back) Kalamitye

There seems to be a real connection between gastric bypass surgery and a return to drinking for a lot of people.

Gastric surgery increases risk of alcoholism | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Alcoholism after gastric bypass: Is it in your mind or gut? » Scienceline

maybe a little less mad with yourself, and put that energy into a recovery plan?

D
Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I lost count since 1998 how many times I have relapsed, in and out of emerg, detox then finally a 28 day program almost three years ago, stayed sober for a little over two years but I stopped following my plan, online meetings, and most important professional help I was getting.

I am not sure I have another recovery in me so I am back at the plan that worked before and I added quite a few things to it and doing very well so far.

Wish you the best, it's hard work at first but it does get easier and you are among folks that understand what you are going through as most of us have been there, use every resource you can get your hands on, for me a plan is the only way I will stay sober.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Kalamitye. A lot of us are feeling exactly the same as you right now. We have to believe in ourselves, and believe that we are worth the effort that great change takes I think.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Kalamitye!!