Notices

2 days

Old 09-12-2004, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days

Thank you to Anna.

I am at the rock bottom. I have wanted to be sober for a long time and then I got a DWI early Sat morning. So I am sober for only 2 days and wish I started being sober a long time ago. I am sitting here waiting for my husband to get home from the lake to tell him what happened and that I want to be sober. He is also an alcoholic and I think he will first be upset when I tell him about the DWI and then he will feel threatened when I tell him I am not going to drink anymore and I have had enough of the crap that comes with it. So sick and tired of being hung over and doing stupid stupid things when I am drunk. This more than likely is not going to go well. I have said over and over again to him that we need to stop this, why do we have to drink so much etc. I don't expect that any of our friends (mostly all alcoholics) will have anything to do with me any more and I don't want to be with them if they are drinking anyway. I know a total of 3 people that I have done things with that don't involve drinking because they are not "big drinkers". I went to church this morning for the first time in years and it felt great. The next AA meeting in my area is on Tuesday and hope my husband will go with but if he doesn't that is his decision. I am going.

I feel so depressed, alone and miserable.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Susie, give yourself a big pat on the back! Sometimes things are a blessing in disguise like your DWI.
I would also encourage you to see if there are meetings on other nights as well as doing some reading in the big book, prayer, contacting supportive people in here.

As far as whether or not your hubby will join you, you can only ask.
I remember very clearly what one of the speakers said to me after I went up to him to thank him for his story. I asked him how do I get my siblings to go to meetings, and to get clean, and his response was, "the best thing I can do for friends/family who are using is to stay clean." They will learn from example, and eventually see the many benefits of our sobriety.
All the best to you and yours
Old 09-12-2004, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((((((((Susie)))))))
Glad you've decided to join US!

It works, it really does!
Old 09-12-2004, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Susie, I think you see that becoming sober means a lot more than just stopping drinking. It's going to mean big changes in your life. It did for me. Lots of us, when we stop drinking, have to do things differently. I began to do things I had given up while drinking such as reading, watching movies, hiking. I was less comfortable socializing so began to do that less and yet, enjoy it more. Everything is better without alcohol! It won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Hang in there and keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 09-12-2004, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME SUSIE GLAD YOUR HERE.THERE IS A BETTER WAY!!!
STICK AROUND,GET WELL......ted
Old 09-12-2004, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!
Making the decision for yourself is key! So you got a DWI and be grateful it wasn't worse and just consider it your bottom if you so choose.. You will find a great deal of support here, we understand and been there!
Old 09-12-2004, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello Susie, and welcome to SR. My name is Laura and I am a recovering alkie/pothead with a precious 6+ months of sobriety. We are all glad you are here. You have made a big step by coming here and admitting to us that you have a problem and you need help. So sorry about the DWI. I have had two, and they are a big pain in the a$$!!!! However, as was said before, if a DWI is what it takes for you to get sober, then it is a blessing in disguise! My second DWI kept me sober for about 2 weeks, but I wasn't going to AA, wasn't changing my behavior and way of thinking, and I could not stay away from the drink.

Best of luck to you with your husband. Come back here and let us know how it went. You CAN do this.

Hugs--
Old 09-12-2004, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Susie,
Sorry to hear about your DWI. I imagine you're worried about a lot of things right now. You're doing the right thing by reaching for help now. It sounds like you've made steps toward recovery by admitting there's a problem. I pray your husband will go along with your commitment. If he doesn't, I pray you'll still proceed with AA, church, SR, and other support groups. My prayers are with you.
Sandy