Notices

Day 14 after self detox, my story

Old 12-24-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Day 14 after self detox, my story

Ok so I just finished my 4th round of going dry. This time I didnt have a choice as I had made a promise to my wife & kids. I asked them to give me one week to taper down. They agreed. I recalled the last 3 times going dry as they were hell, coming from a guy who drinks 15-20 beers a day.

I spent some time at a local nutrition store talking to a very nice lady, told her I needed something to strengthen my body for what I was about to go through. She simply told me to do a pure liver cleanse and eat nothing except simple fruit. I asked her what does this have to do with anything. She said because all of those alcohol molecules are still stuck in your intestines and until they are gone you will have the withdrawals. Seemed to make sense.

So I started the cleanse and tapered off the drinking so as to not go cold turkey. 7 days later I had lost 9 lbs from all the crap (no pun intended) in my body. That afternoon I took my last drink. Expecting heavy withdraws like in the past, there wasn't too much there. I had already stocked up on Organic juice, vitamins, etc I think that day I drank about 10 12oz glasses of juice. I waited til I was completely exhausted to go to bed which was about 4am. I slept pretty good that night. Next day was surprisingly easy to deal with. Wife kept watching like a hawk to make sure I wasn't going for a stash somewhere because I was acting unusually calm.
I ate a ton of food that day. It was obvious my body had a lot of build up with food in my guts and wasn't moving much, thats where the cleanse helped it also proved how starved my body had become.

2nd night was a bit rough, had the night sweats which I anticipated, but not like I remembered where the entire bed was soaked. Again drinking tons of water with fresh squeezed lemon and lime. Woke up several times. In the end I still got around 8 hours of sleep.
The next day I didn't even know what to say. I spent all afternoon going through my memories of 'where the hell was I and how did I get there, and why didn't I do this 6 months, or a year ago?!' I went back to my wedding photos from 17 years past. We got married on a beach in Cancun. There was hardly one picture without huge smiles, laughter, and the tears in her eyes when she was walking down the isle. I pondered again, 'was this really me?'

Like many stories go, I was given an ultimatum, I had no choice. I was one of those people that always knew how to nod first, drink later. Wife wasn't messing around at this point.

So as of today I am 14 days sober and do not miss drinking. I've missed my family.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, Psilyguy. Thank you.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Way to go! Keep it up and make a plan on how you're going to stay sober. There will be times when you'll get cravings. If you've done this before you probably also know that there will be times when you think it wasn't that bad and maybe moderation would work. It doesn't.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy for you and your family psilyguy... you will love your sober life. The first thing it will do is GIVE YOUR A LIFE.

Enjoy the holiday sober with your kids and wife. Special times!
Old 12-24-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 14 is fantastic Psilyguy!! Keep it going!!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Thanks guys. I know I've still got a long way to go. I forgot to mention day 5 & 6 were probably the hardest. This year will be my first year being sober for Xmas and NYE that I can even remember. On a side note since my last failed run at sobriety I made a pact not to drink any hard stuff. I figured I could stick with beer and all would be OK.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 14 sober days, psilyguy. Great job.

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Good work psilyguy. Your story is both scary and helpful to me.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats on 2 weeks Psilyguy