Notices

Why did i never see my GP before?

Old 12-05-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lennox View Post

Also I have started the Alan Carr book - control your drinking, has anyone tried this? What's your opinions?
Real hard core drunks usually do not do well when it comes to controlling their drinking.

The AA Big Book explains the drunks condition all so well.
Not a perfect book -- but -- a dang good one

MB
Old 12-05-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

So you would recommend?
Yes. I've seen people quit with it alone. I've seen people use to complement other programs just to reinforce thinking that drinking has no benefits (often as an audio book in the car). I've seen people read it and have no luck with it.

I essentially subscribe to the notion that if what you're doing isn't working, then try something else. If it is the first thing you try, then great too.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Real hard core drunks usually do not do well when it comes to controlling their drinking.

The AA Big Book explains the drunks condition all so well.
Not a perfect book -- but -- a dang good one

MB
The book is not about controlling your drinking. The title appeals to the idea that most alcoholics don't want to quit completely or forever. It is designed to get people to read the book. The books leads you through a process to a conclusion that permanent absence is the right choice.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

stop drinking - well I have"
!

Congratulations on quitting drinking! Now make sure you stick with it. You have to choose to drink again. I never read Alan Carr but I know his books have helped a lot of people.

I hope you check back in and let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Yes. I've seen people quit with it alone. I've seen people use to complement other programs just to reinforce thinking that drinking has no benefits (often as an audio book in the car). I've seen people read it and have no luck with it. I essentially subscribe to the notion that if what you're doing isn't working, then try something else. If it is the first thing you try, then great too.
Thank you very much! I will continue with it - I have nothing to lose and I am not solely using this as my plan but it may help!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
The book is not about controlling your drinking. The title appeals to the idea that most alcoholics don't want to quit completely or forever. It is designed to get people to read the book. The books leads you through a process to a conclusion that permanent absence is the right choice.
Thank you for clarifying what the book is really about. I have read the start of the book and it is very much about abstinence not control - control of alcohol is not something I can or wish to do
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I meant to say control being something I can't or wish to do
Old 12-05-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I read allan's book and it was a good read. As always, take what you need and leave the rest. Despite the title he is not an advocate of moderation. He's a strong proponent that you need to stop all drinking. I liked one of his comments which I'll paraphrase as, of all the drugs in the world alcohol is the only one where people think you have a problem if you want to stop using. His basic premise is that alcohol is glamorized and romanticized, mainly by big business, but it is no different than any other drug/poison.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thats great, it makes it easier when u feel ur being supported. I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders when i spoke to my gp.
Re alan carr, i tried reading it a couple of yrs ago, but found it boring & gave up (maybe ill give it another go) ive just read 'Drinking-a love story' by Caroline Knapp (AMAZING) the entire book was very relatable. Well done on day 4!!!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

Open mind! Huge tool you have already.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good going Lennox with the GP visit!

I read part of the Alan Carr book early in withdrawal phase and found it "triggering". The book does not advocate moderation or controlled drinking, but the way it was written gave me stress. I thought it was only me who had that reaction, but there are others on this site who had the same feelings. I did read the whole book a little later and did not feel triggered then. I would recommend it, lots of good insights, but IMO it should be read before one quits or after the withdrawal, cravings, insomnia etc have lessened.

Best to you!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Lennox,

Well done on taking all these steps to get sober. It isn't easy, but will be very worth while.

I read Allen Carr's book, and found it very, very useful. I primarily used AVRT to stop (last drink over 6 months ago), but I wanted extra ammunition to help me ignore my Addictive Voice. Carr's book helped demolish all the arguments that my AV was making. I found his arguments very powerful, and despite liking a good debate, I couldn't pick any holes in them. To take one example, you have people saying how they love the taste, that's why they drink. And he'll point out how when you started drinking you had to teach yourself to like it. What kid takes his first swig of red wine and goes "that was delicious"? But we fool ourselves, based on mountains of advertising and peer pressure, into thinking we like something that doesn't actually taste very nice. He goes into more depth than that, but it made me remember how I used to talk to people about a wine having the right balance of tannins. Tannins are the effect you get from sucking on a dry popsicle stick, crunching into a grape seed, or chewing an aspirin. Why on earth would I want to experience that on purpose? But there I'd be pretending to love them. Crazy.

Would I have quit just from reading his book? Hard to say. I think I'd have probably needed to want to stop already. I've got alcoholic friends in denial who I can't imagine going sober just from reading his book. But for someone who knows they have a problem, and who wants to make changes, and as a way to back up your resolve I think it's brilliant.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Hi Lennox, Well done on taking all these steps to get sober. It isn't easy, but will be very worth while. I read Allen Carr's book, and found it very, very useful. I primarily used AVRT to stop (last drink over 6 months ago), but I wanted extra ammunition to help me ignore my Addictive Voice. Carr's book helped demolish all the arguments that my AV was making. I found his arguments very powerful, and despite liking a good debate, I couldn't pick any holes in them. To take one example, you have people saying how they love the taste, that's why they drink. And he'll point out how when you started drinking you had to teach yourself to like it. What kid takes his first swig of red wine and goes "that was delicious"? But we fool ourselves, based on mountains of advertising and peer pressure, into thinking we like something that doesn't actually taste very nice. He goes into more depth than that, but it made me remember how I used to talk to people about a wine having the right balance of tannins. Tannins are the effect you get from sucking on a dry popsicle stick, crunching into a grape seed, or chewing an aspirin. Why on earth would I want to experience that on purpose? But there I'd be pretending to love them. Crazy. Would I have quit just from reading his book? Hard to say. I think I'd have probably needed to want to stop already. I've got alcoholic friends in denial who I can't imagine going sober just from reading his book. But for someone who knows they have a problem, and who wants to make changes, and as a way to back up your resolve I think it's brilliant.
t

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am going to continue with the book and it seems something that will be helpful and also with the counselling and coming on here more often! I am SO grateful for all of you...what a lovely bunch
Old 12-05-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

another vote for Carr and for Caroline Knapp as well

D
Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sounds very positive Lennox!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi all...just thought I would give you an update. Results came back from my doctors and were all normal and fine...hurrah! I think I had a very lucky escape there...I actually asked them if they had the correct results!! Counselling last week was amazing...still going with the Alan Carr book which I have almost finished...this I felt has been a great help so would highly recommend.

I am feeling positive and strong...yay!

Thanks again for all your kind words and support. I will be sticking around here for a while.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yay, I'm so glad your results came back okay :-)

I read the Alan Carr book when I was trying to moderate and although it wasn't for me (despite the book encouraging abstinence, I wasn't in the right mind space to even consider it) as I didn't like how it was written, I can definitely see how it can be helpful. Whatever works!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogini1603 View Post
Yay, I'm so glad your results came back okay :-) I read the Alan Carr book when I was trying to moderate and although it wasn't for me (despite the book encouraging abstinence, I wasn't in the right mind space to even consider it) as I didn't like how it was written, I can definitely see how it can be helpful. Whatever works!
Ah thank you :-) - I would not recommend solely using the book. I think the counselling and here will be my main success. I guess it depends on a persons way of thinking. I am quite black and white and feel the book is quite suited but can also appreciate why people would find it a hard read....as you say whatever works
Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ah thank you :-) - I would not recommend solely using the book. I think the counselling and here will be my main success. I guess it depends on a persons way of thinking. I am quite black and white and feel the book is quite suited but can also appreciate why people would find it a hard read....as you say whatever works
Definitely, I'm someone that likes to ponder, haha, it can come back and bite me in the backside at times though!

I quite like another book called "I Don't Drink!: How to quit alcohol - a drinker's tale" by Julian Kirkman-Page and Dan Jones. Might want to check that one out too!
Old 12-13-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Yogini1603 View Post
Definitely, I'm someone that likes to ponder, haha, it can come back and bite me in the backside at times though! I quite like another book called "I Don't Drink!: How to quit alcohol - a drinker's tale" by Julian Kirkman-Page and Dan Jones. Might want to check that one out too!
Haha! Ahhh thanks! I love reading so I will give that a go next! Nice one.