Notices

I am back... it's been tough

Old 11-25-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SLD

Unhappy I am back... it's been tough

I need to check back in and say "Hi" once again, since it's been so long. I am an opiate addict, but have been on buprenorphine maintenance for many years now, at least 10. I get nothing from it, other than an avoidance of witdrawal, BUT... I've tried so many times to be completely free, and when I do, the depression that lasts for months is brutal (approaching suicidal). So I'd rather live as I do, and am content.

WAS content, until I began to drink more and more. I should have realized that my brain/personality is prone to addiction, But noooo, I had to search for the numbness, the relief, that comes from a substance.

So I've screwed myself up again. Last few years, my drinking has skyrocketed. I cut everclear 50/50 with water, put it in a water bottle, and I'd sip it almost continuously. Towards the end, I'd wake with the shakes, so I put the bottle on my nightstand, I'd wake at 3:00 AM, take a healthy swig, then continue all next day. I'd never get so drunk that it'd show. It simply numbed me. Tolerance got so bad, I'd probably blow a 0.10 most of the time, yet was never called on it. - "functional alcoholic" I guess is what they call it. But it stole all my motivation, and I could tell it was hurting me, BAD. Worse than opiates, far worse.

How messed up can one person be? Opium and alcohol, hooked to both.

The good news - I'm on my third day sober now. It isn't fun, I'm still shaky, vomiting, my head aches, cannot sleep, but I WILL succeed. I WILL beat this. If I don't, I'll be dead in a few years. I have no doubt.

Wish me luck. I'm off to renew myself with this wonderful forum. I wish I had stayed active, maybe I wouldn't have done what I did.

SLD
Old 11-25-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back, SLD; I am very sorry to hear of your struggles but glad that you are on Day 3.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome back SLD.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Isn't life hard?! Think you've overcome one thing and it hits you in the face with another. But you can overcome this too with some support. Hope you're ok, as you can be.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SLD

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling pretty ill right now, but I know the worst is yet to come. I may not post too much but I PROMISE to check in frequently. I've found the support here to be amazing. Again, many thanks.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Easier said than done but try and sleep through as much of it as you can. That helped me just to think I would feel even 5 percent better the next day...and it will happen :-)
Old 11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, SLD,

I'm glad you're ready to stop drinking. We're here for you.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((( hug))))
Old 11-25-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SLD - don't hesitate to see a Dr if you feel really unwell, but I hope you feel better soon

D
Old 11-25-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry you are struggling, you just need to take this for a few more days. You can do it, soon you will be on the other side of this thing! Drink plenty of fluids like Gatorade and eat, even if you are not hungry. Best Wishes
Old 11-25-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SLD

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back SLD - don't hesitate to see a Dr if you feel really unwell, but I hope you feel better soon

D
I appreciate all the kind words!

Dee, I will be honest with you... 3 weeks ago, I wanted to quit, then I browsed "Alcohol withdrawal symptoms" and it was so frightening, it made me drink! I thought "OK, instead, I'll taper off" but we know that is a sad, deceptive joke.

So, cold turkey. I know it can be dangerous, and I was ready to see a doc depending on the severity, but I can feel my physical symptoms are starting to ease. Thank goodness. But I know in a few days the cravings will hit hard. I'm ready.

non-alcoholic CHEERS!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

glad you made it back alive....

Welcome.

Here's the day that it can all turn around...

Welcome to the promise of a whole new life....

C'mon in. Stick around... we're here for ya.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Really glad to see you, SLD. You sound disgusted - and ready to be free. We know you can. Congrats on Day 3.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad to see you are back! Big hug for you as you get through the tough days. Freedom will be your reward soon. You can do this!
Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This post reminds me what it'd be like if I went back out. It woud be a nightmare and I'd probably be dead in a few years. Being a progressive disease I would be much worse. Glad your here. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome back, on congrats on day3!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your back with us SLD
Old 11-28-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SLD

I went on a little thanksgiving trip, did real good! All the champagne, I did the sparkling water. I took a few odd looks from people who didn't know, as I had hid my problems exceptionally well. I simply told them "There are enough calories here without the wine, and I simply want to enjoy the food without it."

After a week, most of the physical symptoms have eased quite a bit - I still get this weird head buzzing, and worst of all is some muscle tension that strikes at the worst times - I'll lie down for a nap or maybe watch TV, and I'll feel the muscles in my abdomen, chest, neck and jaw kind of scrunch tight, and I'll have to force a kind of a release of them. But definitely on the mend, physically.

Of course, the cravings have started. I'm handling them by saying "deal with it, or die." Unchecked Alcoholism is lethal, and I've got too much life ahead of me, grandbabies and all!

Everyone here is so kind and supportive... it's SO appreciated. Thank you. You've all been here and done it, I can too.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your amazing SLD
Old 11-28-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yep

Originally Posted by swindon32 View Post
Easier said than done but try and sleep through as much of it as you can. That helped me just to think I would feel even 5 percent better the next day...and it will happen :-)
That's how I got beyond the anxiety and sick feeling from being hungover - lots of sleep.