Notices

The time has come

Old 11-22-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The time has come

I'm new to this forum. Today is the day I've decided to try and turn my life around. I'm almost forty and have had problems with binge drinking since my early twenties. My problem is that once I get a drink in my hand I cannot stop. This has caused me so much trouble but now i feel that I am at a crossroads. If I don't sort it out now I will lose everything. I feel so low and am wracked with guilt and self loathing.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You came to the sorting bin. Welcome.

Look around, read a lot, ask questions. Some people need no help to quit, some need in patient rehab. You'll find your path.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jbs, welcome! A sorting bin is definitely what this is. Getting sober and finding your path becomes easier with support, so here we are! Make yourself at home here!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Jbs
Old 11-22-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

And it may not be to your taste but your post title made me think of an old rock song:

"Carry Me Through"
by Grand Funk Railroad

If you decide to look it up be sure to look up the lyrics to understand what's being said.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi jbs, i hear ya!!! Binge drinker over here too!!! I had my last drink on Oct the 17th, so its still early days for me too. Post on here regularly & read as much as u can. I have tried the moderate drinking thing & ive finally accepted it doesn't work for me! "1 glass of wine....dont b daft, ill have atleast 1 bottle"!!! Most people have advised to take each day at a time.
Do u have family & friends who can help too??
Old 11-22-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was like that too, Jbs. No off switch - but I didn't try to stop in my 40's. I kept insisting I could manage it if I used enough willpower. As a result, my life fell apart. This won't happen to you. Glad you found us - please keep reading and posting.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jbs2702 View Post
I'm new to this forum. Today is the day I've decided to try and turn my life around. I'm almost forty and have had problems with binge drinking since my early twenties. My problem is that once I get a drink in my hand I cannot stop. This has caused me so much trouble but now i feel that I am at a crossroads. If I don't sort it out now I will lose everything. I feel so low and am wracked with guilt and self loathing.
Welcome Jbs! Why don't you join the November 2015 class? There is A LOT of support there & we all look out for each other. I Hope to see you there! :-)
Old 11-23-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your support. I will no doubt be back at the weekend to get some support. I find the hardest time is straight after work on a Friday and also Saturday evenings. They are the only real times I get the urge to have a drink. So this week I'll be looking at putting some strategies in place to manage it.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jbs, and welcome.

I was also a binge drinker. I really, really wish I did what you're doing at 40, instead of waiting till 50. 6 months sober now, and life is so, so much better. There are a lot of different approaches that people have used successfully on here, so definitely spend some time reading around in the various different forums on here. Learn from other people's successes and, yes, mistakes. You're sure to figure out a plan that feels like the right fit for you.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your support. I will no doubt be back at the weekend to get some support. I find the hardest time is straight after work on a Friday and also Saturday evenings. They are the only real times I get the urge to have a drink. So this week I'll be looking at putting some strategies in place to manage it.
Yes these were the times when I did the weekend binge drinking thing too. Nothing good comes from it. This is a great place for support and I wish you the best!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorting Bin indeed! SR was my first tentative step towards a new life. You CAN do this and I PROMISE you, your life will be so much better! The "Monthly" threads are fabulous for support and accountability. DO reach out and many will take your hand...

Trachemys...my first connection was "The time has come the Walrus said, to speak of many things..."lol
Old 11-23-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jbs!!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

There is no better time than to stop now. You won't regret it
Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

My problem is that once I get a drink in my hand I cannot stop.
that was me too - the solution was not to put a drink in my hand.

Simple solution, but not easy - which is why this community is here

Thanks to all for your support. I will no doubt be back at the weekend to get some support. I find the hardest time is straight after work on a Friday and also Saturday evenings. They are the only real times I get the urge to have a drink. So this week I'll be looking at putting some strategies in place to manage it

I recommend you post daily - leaving it til the weekend when the urge is already upon you is going to be difficult enough. Give yourself a few days reading and posting - you could even come up with a stay sober plan for the weekend

D
Old 11-24-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jbs
Old 11-24-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello Jbs, I am new here too and your original post felt like I write it myself. I am very new here, maybe we could connect and encourage one another. Sounds like you have similar habits to myself and we are both ready to get started.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Feeling positive

Went out with my wife last night for a meal. It was really refreshing to be able to talk without the distractions of the kids etc. We sat and chatted for a long time with and had some really positive discussions about the way forward and things we can do together on a weekend to break the habit of drinking I've got myself into. I'm lucky in many ways that she cares enough to still want to be with me after the number of times I've promised one thing and done the other so it's about time i started to repay some of the faith she has in me. Fortunately she doesn't really drunk that much and never really has so she is more than happy that I'm finally trying to turn things round. I'm not naive enough to think that it's going to be plain sailing from here on in but it's certainly a step in the right direction.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Jbs - sounds like we are definitely in the same boat my friend, I'm new here this week also. Same goes with my wife who is an absolute star despite what I have put her thro over many years of drink and drug use and many chances to put things right - this time I have to make it stick and have had a massive wake up call - culminating with a bang to the head / smashed up face (literally & not a clue how I did it) which I think has finally knocked some sense into me, something has clicked for sure - otherwise its game over and I have no intention of losing everything which I've come mighty close to this last week or so. Same goes I know its not going to be plain sailing as you put it but looks like there's plenty of support on here and many that have been through / going through exactly what we are experiencing right now.