Notices

A Random Thought

Old 11-16-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

A Random Thought

What I find so very interesting is that we’ve all numbed our emotions and feelings for so long that many of us don’t know how to feel them like a normal person.

It’s a whole new awakening. A whole new life. A whole new, fantastic experience that we can enjoy. And I’m not just talking about the good days. But the bad days too. Life without mind altering drugs is just so much better.

In some perverted respect I'm almost glad I've gone through addiction and gotten to the point where I can really appreciate life on its own terms.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
What I find so very interesting is that we’ve all numbed our emotions and feelings for so long that many of us don’t know how to feel them like a normal person.

It’s a whole new awakening. A whole new life. A whole new, fantastic experience that we can enjoy. And I’m not just talking about the good days. But the bad days too. Life without mind altering drugs is just so much better.

In some perverted respect I'm almost glad I've gone through addiction and gotten to the point where I can really appreciate life on its own terms.

I don't think that's perverted at all. I say it often. I think that addiction - for me - has been a blessing. If I hadn't had the "problem" of addiction, if I could 'successfully moderate' - I'd still probably be out there 'successfully moderating' and not being fully present in my life.

I look around and see it everywhere. Without judging others, I can see myself swapping places with them; in bars, at home, at events ranging from children's birthdays to barbeques to sporting events - drinking and gaining weight and 'coping' with my life through a steady self-medication.

My struggles with addiction were significant enough that I was led to the decision to live my life fully. "Successful moderation" to me would be a life sentence to never quite be really embracing my life.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree jd. It's unfortunate what many of us had to endure to finally appreciate what living is all about.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a good observation. And, yes, I think even the not-so-good feelings are there to help teach us something about this life.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post

Great post!! You hit it.........
There's a school of thought we stopped progressing emotionally at the age we started drinking........I was 13. It takes time to learn how to interact with others sans alcohol for sure.

Could not agree more heartily that in pain there is gratitude, joy and growth. This is considered a paradox of sobriety.......

Thanks for the thread JD
Old 11-16-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I don't think that's perverted at all. I say it often. I think that addiction - for me - has been a blessing. If I hadn't had the "problem" of addiction, if I could 'successfully moderate' - I'd still probably be out there 'successfully moderating' and not being fully present in my life.

I look around and see it everywhere. Without judging others, I can see myself swapping places with them; in bars, at home, at events ranging from children's birthdays to barbeques to sporting events - drinking and gaining weight and 'coping' with my life through a steady self-medication.

My struggles with addiction were significant enough that I was led to the decision to live my life fully. "Successful moderation" to me would be a life sentence to never quite be really embracing my life.

Excellent observation from FreeOwl, here. A benefit of managing a relatively "high bottom" turnaround?
Old 11-16-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Nice observation, JD- I understand what you mean; I truly believe I had to crawl out of the hole of addiction to appreciate life, and my place in it .
Old 11-16-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can't tell you what I'm feeling most days, lol. That's one of the things I've had to work hardest on. We shut them down not when we start drinking or using, but when we as children can't make sense of what's going on and the actions of our caregivers. The only option is to turn them off. It's a protective mechanism.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post Jd
Old 11-16-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

jd, posts like that are one of the reasons I appreciate SR so much, so much insight and clever observation.

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Yes, yes, yes. This was me, this has been my whole life in fact. Interspersed of course with the occasional bender.

Any possible excuse to have a beer....."always there but never present".

And the worst thing about it (apart from the hangovers), I couldn't see it.

I can now.

Thank you good people of SR.