Notices

Close, but victory was mine

Old 11-11-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Close, but victory was mine

I went to the city where I sin the most; it's the place I go to college so it can't be avoided. Well, I didn't get the memo about no school today because of Veterans Day...

I drove an hour to get to school, I was tired, had to use restroom, and thirsty... that's when the battle began.

All school facilities were closed so I went to the only spot I know: my drink spot.

In my head the battle was raging a tug-of-war: go to Barnes and Nobles -> it will be closed just go have a Betty; go to Starbucks -> nah I don't want coffee either... because you want your lovely Betty... Then I was resigned to my fate: fudge I can't resist going to drink...

Before I made it back to my car something switched in me and said just go and ask for a soda, say your not drinking because your coming off a flu; the flu part is true.

I drove myself over; still battling my thoughts. Feeling defeated, knowing I would drink the moment I got there.

I went inside, sat in my usual spot, by the beer. I saw my Betty there and I ignored her and asked for a cup for soda and told him I am coming off the flu. The exchange went smooth, we joked a bit, and for the moment I felt I was in the clear.

I sat there drinking my soda wanting to come to SR to communicate but I didn't remember my login and so I just began to read a post. The post I read was about a guy who his past drinking was potentially going to mess up his future career goals. That post reminded me of my past sins and the huge anchor alcohol has been on my life.

I sat there for 30 or so minutes and told myself to get out because the longer I linger the more chance of running into people that I know and a potential game over scenario. I told my boy I was taking off before traffic got me and drove myself an hour, sober, back home.

I sighed with relief in my car... I was frustrated at myself for doing that to myself but happy I was able to walk away with the V for victory.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job! I think every one of these victories makes our recovery that much stronger. However, maybe avoid that place for a little bit just to be safe.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
Great job! I think every one of these victories makes our recovery that much stronger. However, maybe avoid that place for a little bit just to be safe.
Agreed!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you made it GWTF...but you know you don't have to do it the hard way tho right?

I was sober, but I didn't know what else to do but hang with the crew and go to bars.

Eventually I stopped going to bars cos it was like putting my head in the lions mouth.

There's easier ways to be sober - I found I needed to embrace change a little more.

shops shut? go for a walk, or drive home and work out, play some ball, read a book...the possibilities are endless man

D
Old 11-11-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad you made it GWTF...but you know you don't have to do it the hard way tho right?
Love this! So true, this battle is hard enough as it is, why make it more difficult?
Good job on staying strong but next time avoid the temptation altogether , keep it easy.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
lol trust me I was not trying to put myself in the lions mouth but I really had to use restroom. They know me there so it wasn't awkward for me to walk in and use restroom; I hate getting the stink eye for not buying anything and using the facilities at other places.

The bartender, my boy, is cool with me he gave me the soda free of charge I really like him... I just wish we had a different connection other than the bar.

I left quick and got home early to a nice treat from my gf.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Gwtf
Old 11-11-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Love this! So true, this battle is hard enough as it is, why make it more difficult?
Good job on staying strong but next time avoid the temptation altogether , keep it easy.
Wasn't planning on it at all. It was a broken road and I had to detour but I made it out I am really glad I made it out sober

Walked in like walked out like