Notices

The "Cure" to addiction is not that simple...

Old 11-04-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "Cure" to addiction is not that simple...

So lately I've been seeing a cartoon version of the article that came out earlier this year about how we've "had it all wrong" regarding addiction....

The cliff's notes version is that they have been popularizing a study with rats in which rats in a community don't get addicted while rats in an isolated cage, do.

The basic premise and conclusion of these articles - and now the uber-simplified two-minute cartoon video version - is that "gee.... all we need as humans is to be well-bonded and connected, and we can use alcohol and drugs in moderation from time to time because it's not really the DRUG we're seeking but connection".

I think this is damaging. On the one hand, I 100% believe in and support the notion that isolation, lack of meaningful connection, lack of community all create a higher likelihood and greater fuel for addiction. BUT - there is a lot more going on, in my opinion and experience. I have personally been surrounded by love, support, meaningful connection, family, friends and positive influence - and still been deeply caught up in addiction.

If you watch these videos or see these articles please remember; it's NOT that simple. Addiction, alcoholism, our mind-body-spirit relationship to them - are very complex things. We also are not rats.

Don't let those messages be food for the Addictive Voice to take over...
Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if the videos are as dangerous for the addicts as they are for the friends and family of addicts. I can only speak for myself but deep denial has never played a huge role in my addiction. I have incremental, situational denial, if that makes sense, but not the kind that has said 'hey, I'm functioning, I'm not an alcoholic'. Maybe 12 years ago in AA I made some comparisons saying, I'm not that bad...but true denial? The I'm not an alcoholic denial? Nope. But the message sent to those having to deal with the addict is a tough one. I agree with you that isolation and lack of purpose and connection are huge foundations for addiction (did these things occur because of the addiction however?) but people can and often do love addicts to death. I don't believe in tough love, but it is a fine line for people to walk. Telling a deeply troubled addict, "I love you no matter what you do..." group hug? Very dangerous and very demanding of the non addicts IMO. I hate that I have lost a loved one because of my drinking, sometimes I even hate him for it. But in the end, he was smart.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good points.

For me - in my early days of recovery I struggled a lot with recurring thoughts that maybe there was still a work-around. Maybe there were just changes I needed to make and I'd be able to just walk away from all the years of abuse of alcohol into a bright new world of moderation and reasonable consumption.

These articles and videos at that time would probably have helped me believe "well gee... I just need to work on having better connections and community.... maybe I need to go out drinking with friends more often... to get more connected".....

I've even seen a flash of my old AV bursting up from time to time almost two years on when I see these messages. Thankfully, where I am at now i can recognize it for that manipulative Addictive thinking.... but in the first 12 months I feel like it would have been a really dangerous message for me.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I couldn't get to that "cure" until I got to the root of the problem; me and my self and all of my delusional perceptions.......those 12 steps saved my life and led me to being part of "all" communities....(people in and out of the fellowship)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I haven't seen the videos. Does the study suggest community can help prevent addiction from starting or that it can cure it after it has taken root? (or both?)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

to me it kind of alludes both.....

Everything We Think We Know About Addiction Is Wrong
Old 11-04-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me there were/are a lot of things that needed fixing with isolation just being one of them.

My tag line says it all for me
Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Loving your posts FO & completely agree

Would I want to be cured ? No I accept what it is if I tried to cure it it means I want to drink & you couldn't give me all the money in the world to swap what I & millions of others have

Keep them posts coming FO
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anytime someone suggestions The One True Solution to something there's bound to be trouble. I think people, especially those who aren't addicts, are more inclined to do with addiction because it is so complicated, destructive, and difficult to understand. There's comfort in trying to pinpoint a singular cause, even if that's not actually how things work. (Do they ever?)
Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I watched the In a Nutshell cartoon, and disagree with two points: lots of sex prevents addiction, and grandma does not become addicted to heroin.

My addiction cage included a drunk wife with whom I had lots of drunken sex. Companionship did not prevent either of us from being alcoholics.

My first wife (who was a grandmother) died of cancer, and was most certainly addicted to the fentanyl she used for pain relief. She showed classic addiction symptoms of paranoia and anxiety (especially concerning getting enough fentanyl), and was prescribed Ativan to ease the symptoms. She died before the benzo addiction became a problem. But I am sure she was addicted to fentanyl and Ativan, and would have suffered withdrawals if she quit. Likewise, I am sure there were some Vietnam veterans who needed help quitting heroin.

Last edited by Coldfusion; 11-04-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 11-04-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

My theory is that people who get addicted to drugs and alcohol find them more enjoyable than those who can moderate, also there is a genetic component of some level.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Seems very simplistic.

My drinking started out and about in bars, always surrounded by people, started off with my 2 pints of beer and that was my night.

Fast forward and I had graduated to sitting on my own in front of my TV having a party for 1 with a bottle of liquor.

Something got me from point A to point B and I don't think either the cause or the cure could be simply put down to a lack of community, it's a bit more complex in my mind!!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I read the book chasing the scream, which this experiment is mentioned in. I agree addiction is not a one size fits all problem just as recovery has many different faces.

I do think there is so much information out there that it's harmful most of it is conjectural and based on opinion. The truth is we still don't know why some become addicted and why others don't!!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've read articles, and here's my take:

Nonensical: The articles only study the onset of addiction, not the reversal.

Purpleknight: I believe they draw a distinction between "connection" and just being with people. I think that connection is supposed to be deeper. Also I believe that people now have far less a need for a community for physical survival (emotional survival is something else) so a rat alone my fear it will die and be far more stressed than a person alone.

Many other comments: This study at most shows one path to addiction, not the only path. It certainly does not show a path to abstinence let alone sobriety. It is interesting enough to warrant further study but currently does not give answers. FreewOwl is correct though in that people seem to be manipulating the message for their own benefit.

KP