Notices

Intervention- tv program

Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention- tv program

I was flipping the channels last night and the show "intervention" was on. I watched a Dad with a meth problem who had thrown it all alway- walked out of rehab, and his wife and kids had given up and moved on.
Then there was the guy who was drinking Over the top- stashing bottles around the house. Going to the neighbors to drink, passing out and waking up and drinking more. Smoking weed to supplement the buzz. Just really in a bad spot- he did agree to rehab and after a couple of slips is apparently on the right track now.
But what struck me is I remember watching this show a few times over the years when I was drinking and the stories about the alcoholics often seemed familiar and not that bad- just a guy who is drinking too much. And I could always subconsciously point to how whomever I was watching on tv was such a worse case than me.
But watching it sober- it was shocking, unnerving, and hit home.
So glad to not be in that world now.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it looks a lot different through a sober lens, doesn't it?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I've heard about this show can I catch it online ?
Old 11-04-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Soo many things can look different through Sober eyes!!

I did a quick search and there seems to be a few of the episodes on YouTube, the episode list is also on wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervention_(TV_series)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a successful 45 day dry spell after one of those episodes. That show has hit home more than once.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Oh man. I've seen that show. It's just terrible.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Honestly, that show is pretty depressing and may even be counter-productive for me because I was never as bad off as the people on there. The last thing I need is to be able to say "look, see, I'm not really that bad! I just need to stop getting wasted from time to time!"
Old 11-04-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Honestly, that show is pretty depressing and may even be counter-productive for me because I was never as bad off as the people on there. The last thing I need is to be able to say "look, see, I'm not really that bad! I just need to stop getting wasted from time to time!"
My sentiments exactly.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheRepairman View Post
I had a successful 45 day dry spell after one of those episodes. That show has hit home more than once.
Me too. I can relate to many of the stories on that program. To watch what the people go through sober reminds me of just how bad I was and how much worse it can get. Besides, I like the happy endings. John
Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
My sentiments exactly.
My sentiments, too, Venecia and Fluffer.

I remember watching that show and thinking I wasn't so bad.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I first got sober this time I watched so many episodes of intervention on Youtube..I can see how for some the show could be a trigger but for me it was a really valuable tool in boosting up my sober muscles ...
...In so many episodes I felt the madness of addiction.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
I think the same thing can happen to anyone reasonably new to recovery. I talked myself into getting worse plenty of times with this sort of thinking.

Now, I remember to add the word "yet" to any sentence where I find myself saying it didn't get AS bad.

"At least I'm not (insert unfavorable situation or behavior here)...yet."

I'll be there if I let my disease continue. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ive been following the show since it first started. During the early seasons, I would actually watch it while drinking. Also thinking that im not as 'bad' as them. Well, I certainly became just as bad very soon.

A member of this forum was actually featured on the show. Not sure what happened to him.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

i recall watching some shows like that forget which one it was guy was a big drinker slept on a matt on his floor surrounded by empties stuffed empties all over the house his son was miserable etc.. I thought it ws funny and almost admired the guy back when i was a drinker.

but now? i'm like oh dear god how sad and to think i wasnt far behind.

Its like that movie bad santa. I admired him too when i drank he was like my hero. but now? yeah i can still see the humor but i can see the total sadness too becuase its really not far off from the truth at all.

another good one was drugged high on alcohol with ryan. sad case that one was.

it aint right what this stuff does to people. and in the middle of it we can be so blind as to whats going on.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Watched it a few times and felt most of the people were worse off than me. A lot of these types of shows are scripted. When I was looking for a rehab the website for the place I went to advertised " As Seen on A&E Intervention." I guess that should have been my first clue that this place was a scam. Like anything else advertised "As Seen on TV" the product sounds great but isn't usually worth a s#!t.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't watch the show . I find it too dark and depressing (and possibly exploitative of people who are badly suffering. But that's a discussion for another day).

At this point in my early sobriety, I prefer to focus on the positive aspects of life, so I stay away from any TV shows or films that are a dark, stark and dreary.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've only seen a few episodes but I'm a huge boxing fan and I caught the one on Rocky Lockridge, who was homeless at the time. Pretty raw. And that guy was tough as nails in the ring.