Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My biggest problem today isn't not drinking, it's not killing myself

Notices

My biggest problem today isn't not drinking, it's not killing myself

Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thinking of ya and sending a healing hug.

Never give up!!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling a bit better today Resetti!!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How are you today Resetti?

I hope you're feeling better.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yuck depression!!! I am an unhappy (pun intended) member of this club.

Depression and alcoholism seem to go hand in hand. As many of you know, Bill Wilson, one of the founders of AA was a depressive. I've been grateful for the available treatments for myself that weren't available 50 years ago.

Thanks so much Resetti for fighting this. Please keep posting and throw whatever you can at it: counseling, exercise, meditation, acupuncture and anything else you can think of.

Hmmm . . .and if you find something different that works let us know!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thinking of you Resetting
Old 11-04-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thinking of you too, Resetti. Keep posting if it helps - we care :-)
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Today has been awful. My heart has raced all day due to anxiety and I fall in and out and depression to anger. I'm supposed to be doing work now but I can't because I feel on the verge of a panic attack. I feel like I'm going crazy, I know my girlfriend is exhausted by my struggle. I can't blame her. I'm tired of thinking about it.

I just can't see this ending well, I don't feel like I can deal with being in society anymore, I imagine my future and I think of being homeless and then dead. Right now I'm just continuing. For all of you who have been through this, I take my hat off to you. Depression and anxiety and alcoholism is hell on earth.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid to ask for hugs if that helps you and you need them!

Hang in there...
Old 11-04-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Resetti View Post
I just can't see this ending well, I don't feel like I can deal with being in society anymore, I imagine my future and I think of being homeless and then dead.
I remember that well.

Please don't trust your own analysis of your future or how things will "end." You are not your own most trusted friend. While someone is drinking alcoholically, and for a good time after in early recovery, their ability to conceive of the future is extremely distorted.

Sometimes it helped me to ask myself: What would a truly loving friend, if I had one, suggest for me?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Resetti, I strongly agree with Courage... Don't trust your own assessments now. Please just put one sober foot in front of the other. Someone told me in my first days to treat myself very kindly, as if I were recovering from serious illness...because that is exactly the situation.

I had to get medical help for my depression and anxiety--many on SR have shared similarly. It was invaluable to me, and I wish I had sought that kind of help sooner. Even so, I still suffer panic afresh now, without the alcohol.

I have scared away people in my life, and worn out others. Best thing we can do is get this phase over with by staying sober and dealing with our issue now. No more delay, for me.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Really feel for you, I suffered in early sobriety with anxiety and also withdrawal.

I still have anxiety but not like it was in the beginning. My mind wanders of to huge potential disasters a lot haha.

Please believe me when I say it gets soooooo much better and with out drink your problems will become sooooo much easier to cope with.

I used medication drug and alcohol counselling, regular counselling, AA, NA, a sponsor and people in fellowships. Some days I would think how much therapy does one person need?! But it actually worked and I made a new life!

Hang in there! xx
Old 11-05-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Resetti, I know you've made some other posts and you made it through the difficult time. Just wanted to let you know, you are in now way alone. I thought about cashing out early far too often when drinking heavily, and occasionally sober. Glad you pulled through, and it may happen again, but the moment is fleeting. I'm pretty sure at some point in my life it will cross my mind again. I've read some psychologist say its a fairly normal thought. But very few actually follow through. So that's the good news.