Notices

a sober weekend

Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

HI and good job Casey.

Since your tough times center around your weekends, have you come up with a plan for this coming weekend? It's never too early to start getting prepared.

Glad you found us. This place has helped many fix their lives, me included.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
HI and good job Casey.

Since your tough times center around your weekends, have you come up with a plan for this coming weekend? It's never too early to start getting prepared.

Glad you found us. This place has helped many fix their lives, me included.

I got some idea's. I haven't put together a schedule yet, but I am going to make one. I told my fiance to make sure to keep me busy around the home. Football will be a tough one on Sundays and a long long habit but I am feeling some confidence going into the weekend. If I can make it past one weekend I think the week days will get a little easier.

I am looking forward to a sober weekend. For too long my life was sobriety at work and drunk all weekend till work again on Monday. I want to live more.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For that Sunday game? Why not make a bunch of yummy appetizers. Look up recipes, go shopping and make some delicious homemade healthy foods. Maybe even try your hand at a homemade pizza. If you are busy preparing food, it will take concentration. I know I didn't eat very well when drinking. Now I know about food and I can cook
Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by casey27 View Post
I realize my switch is broken and instead of thinking I can tone it down I just need to leave the switch off. Today Is when I realized I dont remember ever having a sober weekend. And it saddens me. What could have I accomplished on my days off of work?
Now you're starting to think like me. I've just realized the same thing...I'm broken and I have to totally distance myself from drinking. Not just on the weekends but during the week, special occasions and around friends. It won't be easy, it never is, BUT it is possible to live without alcohol. You can do it!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
For that Sunday game? Why not make a bunch of yummy appetizers. Look up recipes, go shopping and make some delicious homemade healthy foods. Maybe even try your hand at a homemade pizza. If you are busy preparing food, it will take concentration. I know I didn't eat very well when drinking. Now I know about food and I can cook
That's my plan! I have always loved to cook, and I do cook every weekend for a group of people for football over my grill and smoker. One thing I am telling myself is it'll be great to replace the bar tabs every weekend with some delicious food.

I am also going to fire up the coffee maker too. I hope I dont replace one addiction and make my caffeine addiction that much worse. In my mind I guess I view a couple extra cups of coffee better than all the booze down my throat.

It all seems so scary. I know my friends and family wont give me crap for it, and support me. Just habits are hard to break. But this Sunday I wont be drinking a 24 pack just for a damn football game.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What's the worst that can happen?

My first Saturday I watched box sets and played online scrabble, it was weird, but sitting in drinking tea lead to a hangover free Sunday morning.

You can do this!!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan so far Casey. I had to get used to College Football Saturday without drinking. It took some adjusting, but ultimately I enjoy the games so much more sober. I'm not constantly running to the garage to down beer, wine, vodka,... and I can remember and enjoy the day.

Good job on starting to think about this weekend early!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ccam1973 View Post
Sounds like a good plan so far Casey. I had to get used to College Football Saturday without drinking. It took some adjusting, but ultimately I enjoy the games so much more sober. I'm not constantly running to the garage to down beer, wine, vodka,... and I can remember and enjoy the day.

Good job on starting to think about this weekend early!
Thanks! Perhaps I can blame my binge drinking this season on the fact of how bad the Huskers have been doing? (And the Cowboys are my NFL team. ugh) ha.

Yesterday I told myself to see how 30 days would go. Today I am telling myself I can easily drink in moderation I just have to cut myself off is all after a couple. I can do it, my fiance and everyone I know can do it. No reason why I cant.

But I cant. And I must remind myself of that. I've tried in the past and it works once or twice than I am here again.

Today my fiance told me its so nice everything i've done around the house in the last 48 hours. I been going going going going to keep myself busy.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

But I cant. And I must remind myself of that. I've tried in the past and it works once or twice than I am here again.
Posting here daily really got me to accept that - and to see that wasn't such a bad thing

D
Old 11-04-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

day 3 almost done.

I am starting to cave I think. I am irritated with things in life and it really makes me want to have a beer.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm just getting myself that it's many times I've done it and the first for five days you can get really cranky just get through it don't cave. I'm right behind you
Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
I'm just getting myself that it's many times I've done it and the first for five days you can get really cranky just get through it don't cave. I'm right behind you
I ate some candy. It worked. I think, not really but it makes me happier.

I need to learn to deal with stress without alcohol.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Casey and Missy...I am right there with you two...I think today is day 12. I thought I was totally going to lose it on Monday. I HigHLY recommend walking out out of you abode for a strenuous walk, if you think you will cave. If you can't leave your house, still...do something physical. It breaks the crave. I am sober proof today.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Casey and Missy...I am right there with you two...I think today is day 12. I thought I was totally going to lose it on Monday. I HigHLY recommend walking out out of you abode for a strenuous walk, if you think you will cave. If you can't leave your house, still...do something physical. It breaks the crave. I am sober proof today.
Thank you for the advice. I did take the long way home tonight from work to get a short drive in to clear my head before going home.

I am going to try that again tomorrow too
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there Casey
Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Made it. Here is to day 4. I hope I dont gain weight with all junk I have been eating, haha.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It all seems so scary. I know my friends and family wont give me crap for it, and support me. Just habits are hard to break. But this Sunday I wont be drinking a 24 pack just for a damn football game.
A habit that wants you dead. It will win if you let it.

Scary? This is serious stuff. Make new habits - healthier habits. Habits that won't give you heart failure, liver failure, ruin your joints and pancreas, cause you to black out and fall down and crack your head, or cause seizures and strokes.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am again feeling like I cant do this. I dont want to deal with the problems in my life at all. But I also know its better to deal with them sober than just drinking it away and acting like its not bothering me.

And its only day 4. How am I ever going to deal with this.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I still find Friday's difficult, I used to get a lot of contentment from dreaming about the Friday start to the weekend blast.

And you do feel jealous when you walk past a bar and see people happily having a couple of beers.

Driving to the cinema helps me, I can't drink then and it is too late to start when I get home. Driving has been a great aid as I won't break the law.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am again feeling like I cant do this. I dont want to deal with the problems in my life at all. But I also know its better to deal with them sober than just drinking it away and acting like its not bothering me.

And its only day 4. How am I ever going to deal with this.
I'm a very different guy now to the guy I was at day 4 Casey

We change, we grow, we acquire new skills - try not to jump too far ahead...it really will work itself out

D