Notices

Cravings

Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

What are cravings? Isn't it kind of normal to have cravings for alcohol? I mean, to me the taste of wine is amazing. I wouldn't drink it if I didn't like the taste. It's like food. I wouldn't eat something I didn't like the taste of. Help me understand "cravings". Is it more of a mental craving than an actual physical craving?
Old 10-29-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's probably no textbook definition for cravings, and they are most likely both physical and mental...although the physical cravings would most likely only take place during acute withdrawal.

My best definition of what a "craving" is would simply be an urge do drink. It probably doesn't really matter if it's physical or mental either, it's just important for us to be ready for them and have plans to do something else instead of drinking when they come.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

According to the Big Book of AA, craving is the phenomenon that occurs when an alcoholic takes the first drink. The urge to continue drinking, no matter what, becomes overwhelming.

What it sounds like you are doing is obsessing about alcohol.

You say it is because you like the taste of wine, so thinking about drinking it is normal.

I like taste of chocolate. But I don't eat so much that I have to come to an online forum in the hope that it will help me quit eating chocolate. I might think about eating a piece of chocolate, but if I don't want to, or can't, the thought quickly passes.

Wine's not chocolate.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

There are links to urge surfing & a cravings link below

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What it sounds like you are doing is obsessing about alcohol.
Me? Obsess? Never....
Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The obsession - thinking about how good that wine tastes, for example - leads to the first drink. From there many experience cravings for more and the off switch is impaired to state is mildly. At that point I simply drink it all.......

My experience has shown that normal folks don't obsess over drinking. They take it or leave it.

This weekend I find myself wanting small sugary treats individually wrapped up and placed in a pumpkin bowl!?!?

When we quit drinking our bodies demand sugar as it's the base component in alcohol. You may curb that desire with some ice cream or hersey's kisses......

Thanks for the post!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me its both x early in sobriety it was more physical and now its more a mental thing, the thought crosses my mind.